Home > Bipolar disorder > Restless legs syndrome > Bipolar disorder and Restless legs syndrome
Review: could Bipolar disorder cause Restless legs syndrome (Restless leg syndrome)?
We study 36,737 people who have Bipolar disorder from FDA and social media. Among them, 219 have Restless legs syndrome (Restless leg syndrome). Find out below who they are, other conditions they have and drugs they take.
Get connected: join a mobile support group for people who have Bipolar disorder and Restless legs syndrome >>>
Bipolar disorder (mood disorder) (latest reports from 79,815 patients) can be treated by Lamictal, Lithium Carbonate, Seroquel, Abilify, Lamotrigine, Depakote.
Restless legs syndrome
Restless legs syndrome (a powerful urge to move your legs) (latest reports from 67,388 patients) has been reported by people with restless leg syndrome, osteoporosis, depression, high blood pressure, pain.
On Sep, 22, 2014: 36,704 people who have bipolar disorder are studied. Among them, 219 (0.60%) have Restless Legs Syndrome.
Gender of people who have bipolar disorder and experienced Restless legs syndrome * :
|Restless legs syndrome||71.84%||28.16% |
Age of people who have bipolar disorder and experienced Restless legs syndrome * :
|Restless legs syndrome||1.02%||1.02%||2.54%||9.14%||14.72%||30.96%||30.96%||10.15% |
Severity of the symptom * :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Restless legs syndrome||0.00%||28.57%||42.86%||28.57% |
Top co-existing conditions for these people * :
- Depression (43 people, 19.63%)
- Anxiety (27 people, 12.33%)
- Sleep disorder (23 people, 10.50%)
- Gastrooesophageal reflux disease (19 people, 8.68%)
- Insomnia (17 people, 7.76%)
- Thyroid disorder (15 people, 6.85%)
- Neuropathy peripheral (14 people, 6.39%)
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus (13 people, 5.94%)
- Parkinson's disease (13 people, 5.94%)
- Pain (11 people, 5.02%)
Most common drugs used by these people * :
- Seroquel (108 people, 49.32%)
- Depakote (38 people, 17.35%)
- Abilify (36 people, 16.44%)
- Klonopin (33 people, 15.07%)
- Geodon (30 people, 13.70%)
- Saphris (29 people, 13.24%)
- Lithium carbonate (28 people, 12.79%)
- Nexium (22 people, 10.05%)
- Lexapro (21 people, 9.59%)
- Clonazepam (21 people, 9.59%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Bipolar Disorder and Restless Legs Syndrome?
Get connected! Join a mobile support group:
- group for people who have Restless Legs Syndrome and Bipolar disorder
- group for people who have Bipolar disorder
- group for people who have Restless Legs Syndrome
Comments from related studies:
From this study (2 weeks ago):
Kevin Peters Ph.d on Mar, 4, 2013:
Sammy, I'm a white 45 male; just wanted to agree on that Klonopin remark. When I was 21 I had my second kidney transplant which was a BAD issue all together, at any rate the hospital did not include my medications taken at home after my surgery. I went thru the worst hallucinations and jerking and seizures you could ever possibly imagine. This went on for almost 3 1/2 weeks before we decided to have me taken OUT of the hospital and relocated before they ended up taking my life. Then the whole staff of paychology including the chief of psychiatry cane in my room to see what they could do, Finallu. During one of my few moments of clarity the C.O.F after blaming me if talking "drugs" prior to my transplant listened to my word of telling him the meds I was on before being admitted. After asking when was the last time I had received my Klonopin and me not knowing, he then reviewed the charts, and didn't see me receiving this med once. He stormed out of the room of about 9 docs and came back in with two Klonopin; for the first time in almost 4 weeks and after three surgeries the first 72 hours I was hospitalized, I was sleeping like a baby, for about 49 hours with NO MORE hallucinations, or seizures or jerking! I finally got out of there without a kidney since that kidney was supposed to go to another man named the same as I in a different city! I do take Xanax and probably always will. The half life on Klonopin is much different hence one if its dangers, Nevwr Ever stop this drug cold! I've been on dialysis 25 1/2 years now and suffered from intense skin cancers, but have fought and done all I can do to live a normal as possible life, working full time except when I'm in yet another surgery, over 32 general anesthetic procedures since 1987. I was the youngest boy-man to ever be on the USA soccer team ready to play in the Korea 1988 Olympics. What a change in life.....
All the Best,
chris on Jun, 4, 2011:
i have been taking clonzepam and trazedone and my speech is a very hoarse voice, I am wondering if if my speech problem is from these drugs's side effects.
TwoDimes on Apr, 15, 2012:
Upon occasion, I, too, have become hoarse and from the use of Klonopin. I was VERY hoarse when I tried to cold turkey off of 4mgs of Klonopin. I am now down to 1.5mgs per day and, still, (as I said, upon occasion, I become hoarse. I am sure that the use of Klonopin is the causative factor. - TwoDimes -
SammySushi on Jul, 10, 2012:
Omigosh, never cold turkey clonopin, esp that high of a dose. My dad had a major seizure and hallucinations doing so.
Christophe on Nov, 13, 2012:
I suffer from Hypothyroidism, High Cholesterol & Cancer survivor because of Zyprexa use and previously being prescribed Carbamezapine causing Thyroid damage. My best advice to you if you don't want Hypothyroidism is have regular blood tests, Thyroid damage can be undetected for up to 5 years with no symptoms found on regular blood tests prematurally. Make sure you buy iodised salt to use on food when eating this will help reduce your risk of getting Hypothyroidism. two signs of Hypothyriodism which the Carbamezapine & Zyprexa medication boxes labels wont tell you is if your face becomes puffed up, red or sun sensitive while taking these medications this is a sign of Hypothyroidism. It wont be found on your blood test but later on it could appear out of the blue. The other sign to look for is baldness or hair loss on your head, this is another symptom. I hope these comments will help you. You have to weight up the benefits and negatives taking medications if you decide to take these medicines or not. It depends on how you cope with the drug side effects.
AUDREY on Dec, 16, 2012:
STARTED TAKING DILTIAZEM 60 MG AND I AM VERY CONSTIPATED. 70 YEARS OLD, HEART SURGERY A FAST HEART RATE....
Sonya on Feb, 24, 2013:
You definately need to take a stool softener...straining during defication can cause major problems in people with cardiac problems.
Stillaguamish on Sep, 6, 2014:
My heart breaks for you and I'm so sorry you had to go through all that. I recently had two surgeries and was outraged at hospital treatment. I had to demand my regular meds and when they gave in, they only gave me 3 of 6
From this study (5 years ago):
Since I started taking Provigil I have been very happy as it is very effective for my hypersomnia, and my ADD - I feel motivated and have focus which I was lacking for years. However - every now and then I get a bounding pulse, severe anxiety, I get startled easily, I'm hypersensitive to noise and loudness, it feels like I go into abnormal heart rhythms, and I get very dizzy. My muscles also tighten everywhere - especially my neck and back. I get a bad headache and become very paranoid.
For the most part it works well, but every now and then I get those side effects which are miserable.
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
- Effects taking lamictal abilify and pristiq
Although I take these three drugs I am still experiencing symptoms of lethargy, lack of appetite Are these symptoms perhaps side effects of these grubs?
- My sister has a past addiction to morphine. is solonpas addictive?
I take of my baby sister, because in 2010 she tried to take her life with drugs, alcohol and. Cocaine. She complains of pain in her lower back, due to an injury in 1998, which led to surgery, which led to her addictiction to Morphine. She was diagnosed with Arthritis in her back where she had surger ...
- Does anybody know if lamictal xr increases ck levels?
I was only taking Notryptiline 50 mg a day, 400 mg (200mg x 2 a day) of Lamectal XR, and my CK levels keep on going up. Which one of these medications is raising my CK levels? Does anybody know? Please help.
In March of 2014, I was hospitalized due to 5000 CK levels. I was released with CK ...
More questions for: Bipolar disorder, Restless legs syndrome
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- Lexapro and memory loss
I actually have no idea what other medicine I was on the week I took Lexapro, it was back at the end of February 2014 right before I checked myself into the psych hospital. I formed no memory for a whole week just because of one drug! My friends and family tell me what happened that week and I have ...
- How saphris causedmy husbands death
My husband was given saphris to treat bipolar disorder in June, 2010. After taking it for two weeks,the dosage was increased. On July 29, 2010, he started having hallucinations and before I could get help (we lived in rural area), he committed suicide.
- Pristiq, epilim, sifrol, immovane, valium, mobic
I started out with mild burnout depression in 2009 and was put on a low dose of Lexapro, which picked me up fantastically. I had been given low (2mg) Valium before for muscle relaxant purposes due to my scoliosis complications. Both these worked well. Then in 2010 I was drugged and raped and almo ...
More reviews for: Bipolar disorder, Restless legs syndrome
Common treatments for Bipolar Disorder and their efficacy:
Could your drug cause it?
Studies of common Bipolar disorder symptoms:
- Cannot Sleep in Bipolar disorder (2,949 reports)
- Diabetes Mellitus Management in Bipolar disorder (2,714 reports)
- Rash Generalised in Bipolar disorder (2,681 reports)
- Weight Gain in Bipolar disorder (2,632 reports)
- Niddm in Bipolar disorder (2,074 reports)
- Antidepressant Therapy in Bipolar disorder (2,005 reports)
- Anxiety in Bipolar disorder (1,939 reports)
- Exhaustion, Fatigue, Lethargy, Tiredness, Weariness in Bipolar disorder (1,737 reports)
- Drowsiness, Hypersomnia, Sleepiness - During The Day, Somnolence in Bipolar disorder (1,732 reports)
- Drug Not Working in Bipolar disorder (1,675 reports)
Restless Legs Syndrome related symptom studies:
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
44 million health professionals and patients have studied on eHealthMe. Recent studies:
- Fentanyl-50 for a 52-year old man who has Degenerative Joint Disease (46 minutes ago)
- Oxycodone And Acetaminophen, Trazodone Hydrochloride, Memantine, Advair Diskus 100/50, Donepezil, Amlodipine for a 93-year old woman who has Inflammation Localised, Anxiety Disorder, Alzheimers, Asthma, Alzheimer's Disease, Blood Pressure Increased (1 hour ago)
- Celexa for a 20-year old woman who has Chronic Depression (2 hours ago)
Recent mobile support groups
- Prozac and Arachnoid Cyst
- Prozac and Brittle Nails
- Raspberry Ketone and Diverticulitis
- Blister and Gabapentin
Recent user comments
- "I feel as if I have a lump in my throat, as if someth ... " (5 hours ago)
- "Took Nexium for one week. After four days started bre ... " (7 hours ago)
- "he was fine till he took prednizone 10 days died the ... " (8 hours ago)
- Losartan Potassium; Hydrochlorothiazide
- Splinter Haemorrhages
- Synthroid (abbott) 0.1mg
- Losartan Potassium Hydrochlorothiazide