Home > Epilepsy > Hiccups > Epilepsy and Hiccups
Review: could Epilepsy cause Hiccups?
We study 27,329 people who have Epilepsy from FDA and social media. Among them, 16 have Hiccups. Find out below who they are, other conditions they have and drugs they take.
Get connected: join a mobile support group for people who have Epilepsy and Hiccups >>>
Epilepsy (common and diverse set of chronic neurological disorders characterized by seizures) (latest reports from 71,072 patients) can be treated by Lamictal, Keppra, Tegretol, Dilantin, Lamotrigine, Topamax.
Hiccups (an involuntary spasm of the diaphragm and respiratory organs, with a sudden closure of the glottis and a sound like a cough) (latest reports from 16,415 patients) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, pain, multiple myeloma, quit smoking.
On Oct, 25, 2014: 27,329 people who have epilepsy are studied. Among them, 16 (0.06%) have Hiccups.
Gender of people who have epilepsy and experienced Hiccups * :
Age of people who have epilepsy and experienced Hiccups * :
Severity of the symptom * :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
Top co-existing conditions for these people * :
- Gastric cancer (3 people, 18.75%)
- Convulsion (2 people, 12.50%)
- Headache (1 people, 6.25%)
- Allergic sinusitis (1 people, 6.25%)
- Seizures (1 people, 6.25%)
- Seizure disorder (1 people, 6.25%)
- Heart disease (1 people, 6.25%)
- Dementia (1 people, 6.25%)
- Ulcer - duodenal or gastric (1 people, 6.25%)
Most common drugs used by these people * :
- Keppra (16 people, 100.00%)
- Folic acid (8 people, 50.00%)
- Lamotrigine (8 people, 50.00%)
- Depakene (7 people, 43.75%)
- Capecitabine (3 people, 18.75%)
- Zarontin (2 people, 12.50%)
- Dexchlorpheniramine maleate (2 people, 12.50%)
- Nubain (2 people, 12.50%)
- Furosemide (2 people, 12.50%)
- Torsemide (2 people, 12.50%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Epilepsy and Hiccups?
Get connected! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who have Hiccups and Epilepsy
- support group for people who have Epilepsy
- support group for people who have Hiccups
Comments from related studies:
From this study (2 years ago):
If I have "phenomenas" and take my dose (400mg in Am, 400mg Pm)a little to early I will get very dizzy where I am still spinning with my eyes close. It does go away, but I would rather be dizzy then have a seizure.
I have noticed over the last 2 years (aprox 5 years after being on lamotrigine) that I get a sporatic hiccup that comes out. It is usually just one and I never have a hiccuping fit. A nurse that I know said it could be from the drugs. I don't take any other prescription medication and most of the time am not eating or doing anything that could disturb my esophagus.
I do get auras early in the morning even if it's before my dosage time. Sometimes I will take an extra pill (very sporadic) and it seems to help.
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
- Does nexplanon have nickel in it?
I have a severe nickel allergy and I have epilepsy. I am considering explain to reduce periodes since my seizures are worse that time of the month. I need to know if nexplanon has nickel because I need to avoid it if it does.
- Hcg diet is good for me
I'M PRESENTLY ON DEPRESSION MEDICINE AND LAMYCTAL FOR SEIZURES.
CAN I GO ON THE HCG INJECTION DIET?
- Has anything helped with muscle weakness/pain caused by carbamazepine? or any remedies?
I have partial seizures that affects my right side. It's caused by having a brain tumor on the left side when I was younger that was removed. I'm taking 600mg of Carbamazepine a day.
I have muscle weakness and pain on my right arm and leg a lot. There are times when I can't even pick up a water ...
More questions for: Epilepsy, Hiccups
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- Levaquin side effects
Prescribed for COPD flare-up, along with a 10 day course of prednisone. On day 5, I experienced extreme irritability. I was imagining what it would be like to shoot my husband. He had kicked me in his sleep and I was very seriously thinking of shooting that foot. I got up and secured the gun. Howeve ...
- Horrible hiccups may be caused by sulfamethoxazole
a few hours after taking Bactrim/sulfamethoxazole I got the worst case of Hiccups Ever. it has now been over 24 hours and I havent stopped. will be visiting my doctor in the morning.
- Seizure patient was on depakote for 16 years now on keppra 1500 mg.
I am 28 years old and been off depakote for 5 months. I started keppra to control my seizure disorder, which works great. But for the past year I have developed osteoarthritis in my thoracic, si joints, and lumbar. I get alot of muscle hypersensitivity and pain. Can any of this be due to long term ...
More reviews for: Epilepsy, Hiccups
Common treatments for Epilepsy and their efficacy:
Could your drug cause it?
Studies of common Epilepsy symptoms:
Hiccups related symptom studies:
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent mobile support groups
- Hypothyroidism and Metoprolol Tartrate
- Chest Tightness Or Pressure and Tramadol
- Chest Pain and Tramadol
- Seroquel and Bulimia
Recent user comments
- "itching around vagina and rectum, right ovary pain,cr ... " (2 hours ago)
- "If dose missed one day or two... got extreme dizzines ... " (3 hours ago)
- "Took both last night and woke up in the middle of nig ... " (4 hours ago)