Home > Gout > Shingles > Gout and Shingles
Would you have Shingles (Herpes zoster) when you have Gout?
Summary: Shingles is found among people with Gout, especially people who are male, 60+ old, also have Hypertension, and take medication Allopurinol.
We study 22 people who have Shingles (Herpes zoster) and Gout from FDA and social media. Find out below who they are, other conditions they have and drugs they take.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who have Gout and Shingles >>>
Gout (uric acid crystals building up in the body) (latest reports from 57,691 patients) can be treated by Allopurinol, Colchicine, Indomethacin, Uloric, Colcrys, Indocin.
Shingles (a painful, contagious rash caused by the chickenpox virus) (latest reports from 118,095 patients) has been reported by people with rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, osteoporosis, high blood pressure, multiple myeloma.
On Oct, 26, 2014: 7,060 people who have gout are studied. Among them, 22 (0.31%) have Shingles.
Gender of people who have gout and experienced Shingles * :
Age of people who have gout and experienced Shingles * :
Severity of the symptom * :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
Top co-existing conditions for these people * :
- Hypertension (13 people, 59.09%)
- Dyslipidaemia (6 people, 27.27%)
- Anxiety (5 people, 22.73%)
- Osteoarthritis (5 people, 22.73%)
- Oesophageal disorder (5 people, 22.73%)
- Parophthalmia (5 people, 22.73%)
- Herpes zoster (5 people, 22.73%)
- Blood pressure abnormal (3 people, 13.64%)
- Pain (3 people, 13.64%)
- Blood pressure (3 people, 13.64%)
Most common drugs used by these people * :
- Allopurinol (20 people, 90.91%)
- Lisinopril (12 people, 54.55%)
- Aspirin (9 people, 40.91%)
- Cialis (7 people, 31.82%)
- Indomethacin (6 people, 27.27%)
- Simcor (6 people, 27.27%)
- Tricor (6 people, 27.27%)
- Niaspan (6 people, 27.27%)
- Valtrex (5 people, 22.73%)
- Celebrex (5 people, 22.73%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Gout and Shingles?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who have Shingles and Gout
- support group for people who have Gout
- support group for people who have Shingles
Could your drug cause:
Other conditions that could cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Can i use marijuana and valacyclovir hcl for shingles? interaction
(Asked by a 54 year old woman who has Shingles)
I have just found out that I have shingles. I am very nervous about this. I am wondering if I can have a glass of wine or smoke marijuana and what the interaction is. I have been prescribed Valacyclovir HCL. Thank you.
- Prolia injection, then 6-8 weeks following, shingles and uti
(Asked by a 74 year old woman who has Herpes Zoster, and takes Prolia)
First Prolia injection December, 2011, followed by Prolia injection every six months, last injection January, 2014. Developed Shingles late February 2012; still have constant pain, constant itching, 6 to 8 weeks following injection UTI. This past weekend has been the weekend from HELL.........low ...
- I take flecainide for af.can i take glucosamine & chondroitin ( msm) to treat back pain
(Asked by a 58 year old man who has Atrial Fibrillation/flutter, Gout, and takes Flecainide Acetate, Allopurinol, Aspirin)
Can I take the flecainide for the AF and the MSM joint formula for back pain without adverse effects
- Can shingles result in unilateral ptosis, ear pain and swallowing issues? i get recurring shingles on my face every 2 or 3 weeks.
(Asked by a 45 year old woman who has Shingles)
I have recurring shingles on my forehead and jaw about every 3 weeks on the right side for the last 15 years. Over the last year I've developed unilateral partial ptosis, sensor I neural hearing loss with ear pain and a sort of delay in swallowing all on the opposite side. I am wondering if they are ...
- Females on diovan developing gout?
(Asked by a 56 year old woman who has Gout, High Blood Pressure, and takes Diovan)
I recently suffered a gout attack for the first time in my life. I am 55, female and have no history of this condition in my family.
About a year ago my husband and I moved and my new doctor put me on this medication for pre-hypertension.
I have read mounting evidence that one major side effec ...
More questions for: Gout, Shingles
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Lipitor caused gout attack.
(Posted by a 68 year old man who has Gout, High Collestoral, and takes Lipitor)
My doctor gave me Lipitor to lower my Collestoral (240). Three days later I had lower stomach pains and the beginning of a Gout attack on my foot. I stopped taking the drug after 4 days when the full blown Gout attack came. I had been watching my diet and had not had a Gout attack for two years ( ...
- Ear pain from allopurinol 100mg
(Posted by a 46 year old man who has Gout, and takes Allopurinol)
I have just been prescribed 100mg Allopurinol.
1 a day.
I am in my second day of taking these tablets.
I have begun to get get a sudden pain in my ear.
I have never in all my years have ever had such a pain.
I know the only change that has happened around me is taking these tablets.
I have sto ...
- Tardive dyskinesia and shingles
(Posted by a 50 year old woman who has Shingles, Tardive Dyskinesia)
I have always been hypersensitive to drugs. I have multiple allergies which have in some cases caused anaphylaxis. I developed Tardive Dyskinesia after being on Geodone for five days. (stopped geodon immediately after manifestation of symptoms) The symptoms began on the third day. I have managed to ...
- Valtrex and warfarin
(Posted by a 89 year old man who has Shingles, and takes Warfarin Sodium, Valtrex)
Valtrex was prescribed to be taken every 8 hours. After 4 doses I became extremely cold while outside temperature is 80 degrees and also quite dizzy. I also take 5 mg. of warfarin daily. Although the herpes condition is not fully cleared, I plan to stop Valtrex. I believe the mix has caused my INR ...
More reviews for: Gout, Shingles
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin D, Atorvastatin Calcium, Methadone Hydrochloride, Indomethacin for a patient with High Blood Cholesterol, Pain, Gout. The patient has Toe Swelling, Painful Response To Normal Stimuli
Comments: Diagnosed with Gout about 5 weeks ago,Prescribed Indomethacin but little relief.Feelings of electrical shocks have now started.Researched and my symptoms seem to be more in line with Peripheral Neuropathy than Gout.Have found that Indomethacin contributes to P.N Pain.
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Potassium Gluconate, Butrans, Androgel, Viibryd, Livalo, Tribenzor, Nexium, Metformin, Lantus, Atenolol, Lovaza, Allopurinol for a patient with General Physical Health Deterioration, General Physical Condition, Muscle Weakness, Pain, Testosterone, Depression, High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides, High Blood Pressure, Gerd, Diabetes, High Blood Cholesterol, High Blood Sugar, Gout. The patient has Diabetes Mellitus, Erectile Dysfunction, Peripheral Neuropathy
Comments: Concern about allopurinol having exacerbated peripheral neuropathy
Also concerned about drugs and their interactions causing ED if I stop taking blood pressure meds incidence of ED is reduced considerably.
- A study of drug interactions between Advair Diskus 100/50, Valtrex, Lisinopril And Hydrochlorothiazide, Nasonex, Clarinex, Prilosec for a patient with Pain, Shingles, High Blood Pressure, Allergies, Gerd. The patient has Weakness, Headache, Stomach Pumping, Vertigo, Nausea, Startle Reflex, Shingles
Comments: I have a constant burning, diarrhea, startling, nausea and vertigo that doesn't stop.
- A study of drug interactions between Colchicine, Allopurinol for a patient with Gouty Arthritis, Gout. The patient has Red Eye
Comments: Seems to flare up each time more severe than the last
- A study of side effects of Allopurinol for a patient with Gout. The patient has Vaginal Discharge
Comments: I have been recently diagnosed with a urinary infection. I have been taking this medication for about 2 years. However, I also have a foul smelling discharge that has a yellowish beige color. I have taken 6 pills for the urinary infection with a name that starts with a C. (sorry, can't recall) ...
More related studies for: Gout, Shingles
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.