Would you have Shingles (Herpes zoster) when you have Gout?
Summary: Shingles is found among people with Gout, especially people who are male, 60+ old, also have Hypertension, and take medication Allopurinol.
We study 22 people who have Shingles (Herpes zoster) and Gout from FDA and social media. Find out below who they are, other conditions they have and drugs they take.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who have Gout and Shingles >>>
Gout (uric acid crystals building up in the body) can be treated by Allopurinol, Colchicine, Indomethacin, Uloric, Colcrys, Indocin. (latest reports from Gout 12,602 patients)
Shingles (a painful, contagious rash caused by the chickenpox virus) has been reported by people with rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, osteoporosis, high blood pressure, multiple myeloma.(latest reports from Shingles 22,298 patients)
On Nov, 25, 2014: 22 people who have gout and Shingles are studied.
Gender of people who have gout and experienced Shingles * :
Age of people who have gout and experienced Shingles * :
Severity of the symptom * :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
Top co-existing conditions for these people * :
- Hypertension (13 people, 59.09%)
- Dyslipidaemia (6 people, 27.27%)
- Anxiety (5 people, 22.73%)
- Osteoarthritis (5 people, 22.73%)
- Oesophageal disorder (5 people, 22.73%)
- Parophthalmia (5 people, 22.73%)
- Herpes zoster (5 people, 22.73%)
- Blood pressure abnormal (3 people, 13.64%)
- Pain (3 people, 13.64%)
- Peripheral vascular disorder (2 people, 9.09%)
Most common drugs used by these people * :
- Allopurinol (20 people, 90.91%)
- Lisinopril (12 people, 54.55%)
- Aspirin (9 people, 40.91%)
- Cialis (7 people, 31.82%)
- Indomethacin (6 people, 27.27%)
- Simcor (6 people, 27.27%)
- Tricor (6 people, 27.27%)
- Niaspan (6 people, 27.27%)
- Valtrex (5 people, 22.73%)
- Celebrex (5 people, 22.73%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Gout and Shingles?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who have Shingles and Gout
- support group for people who have Gout
- support group for people who have Shingles
Could your drug cause:
Other conditions that could cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Can i use marijuana and valacyclovir hcl for shingles? interaction
I have just found out that I have shingles. I am very nervous about this. I am wondering if I can have a glass of wine or smoke marijuana and what the interaction is. I have been prescribed Valacyclovir HCL. Thank you.
- Prolia injection, then 6-8 weeks following, shingles and uti
First Prolia injection December, 2011, followed by Prolia injection every six months, last injection January, 2014. Developed Shingles late February 2012; still have constant pain, constant itching, 6 to 8 weeks following injection UTI. This past weekend has been the weekend from HELL.........lower abdomen pain, UTI symptoms, antibiotic not helpful at this time. Plan to contact Doctor in am.
- I take flecainide for af.can i take glucosamine & chondroitin ( msm) to treat back pain
Can I take the flecainide for the AF and the MSM joint formula for back pain without adverse effects
- Can shingles result in unilateral ptosis, ear pain and swallowing issues? i get recurring shingles on my face every 2 or 3 weeks.
I have recurring shingles on my forehead and jaw about every 3 weeks on the right side for the last 15 years. Over the last year I've developed unilateral partial ptosis, sensor I neural hearing loss with ear pain and a sort of delay in swallowing all on the opposite side. I am wondering if they are related as the eyelid seems to be more aggravated when I have a breakout.
- Females on diovan developing gout? (1 answer)
I recently suffered a gout attack for the first time in my life. I am 55, female and have no history of this condition in my family.
About a year ago my husband and I moved and my new doctor put me on this medication for pre-hypertension.
I have read mounting evidence that one major side effect of Diovan is elevated uric acid in the blood, which in turn can cause gout.
It was so incredibly painful that I never want to suffer a recurrence, but I don't want to take allopurinol as a preventive measure, as I have had two friends develop movement disorders (Parkinsons and dystonia) after taking it.
I would much rather find another effective blood pressure medication that doesn't cause gout. Anyone successfully switched medication?
More questions for: Gout, Shingles
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Lipitor caused gout attack.
My doctor gave me Lipitor to lower my Collestoral (240). Three days later I had lower stomach pains and the beginning of a Gout attack on my foot. I stopped taking the drug after 4 days when the full blown Gout attack came. I had been watching my diet and had not had a Gout attack for two years (my first one). Nothing changed except the Lipitor. I have no doubt the attack was brought on by the Lipitor. If you have Gout DO NOT TAKE LIPITOR (or its generic). Im now in my second week of pain and it's terrible.
- Ear pain from allopurinol 100mg (1 response)
I have just been prescribed 100mg Allopurinol.
1 a day.
I am in my second day of taking these tablets.
I have begun to get get a sudden pain in my ear.
I have never in all my years have ever had such a pain.
I know the only change that has happened around me is taking these tablets.
I have stopped taking these and am awaiting my next appt with my GP.
I do take Arcoxia with paracetemol for pain relief.
- Tardive dyskinesia and shingles
I have always been hypersensitive to drugs. I have multiple allergies which have in some cases caused anaphylaxis. I developed Tardive Dyskinesia after being on Geodone for five days. (stopped geodon immediately after manifestation of symptoms) The symptoms began on the third day. I have managed to keep the Tardive Dyskinesia under control or to a few ticks finding my triggers and avoiding them. Like Caffeine, stress, and anxiety. I also had physical therapy and joined a gym. I also take an herbal supplement Relax and Sleep (4 yrs now) which helps a great deal. Recently, I developed shingles. The pain was unbearable and for some reason it triggered or aggravated Tardive Dyskinesia. I've been having inner tremors ever since and have had two bouts of Tardive Dyskinesia that borders on violent. I look like I'm having a seizure or Parkinsons. I always feel it coming on before it strikes. My chest muscles tighten and my arms and body are tense but I'm constantly moving. I can't speak and have difficulty walking when it occurs. My legs feel like weights. My face twitches, my eye winks and I can't swallow. Relax and sleep by natures made has been a life saver. It has melatonin, valerian root and chamomile. As a matter a fact I was in remission for a year. I only had subtle movements. I posted the discovery on youtube and other people have reported improvements. Mainly I wanted to know if the shingles triggered this episode because it effects the nerves? My grandmother developed alzheimer's late in life. I'm 49 years of age. Something is wrong. I can feel it.
- Valtrex and warfarin
Valtrex was prescribed to be taken every 8 hours. After 4 doses I became extremely cold while outside temperature is 80 degrees and also quite dizzy. I also take 5 mg. of warfarin daily. Although the herpes condition is not fully cleared, I plan to stop Valtrex. I believe the mix has caused my INR to rise too high. ny comments ? Its Sunday. No need to say more.
More reviews for: Gout, Shingles
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- Diagnosed with Gout about 5 weeks ago,Prescribed Indomethacin but little relief.Feelings of electrical shocks have now started.Researched and my symptoms seem to be more in line with Peripheral Neuropathy than Gout.Have found that Indomethacin contributes to P.N Pain.
- Concern about allopurinol having exacerbated peripheral neuropathy
Also concerned about drugs and their interactions causing ED if I stop taking blood pressure meds incidence of ED is reduced considerably.
- I have been recently diagnosed with a urinary infection. I have been taking this medication for about 2 years. However, I also have a foul smelling discharge that has a yellowish beige color. I have taken 6 pills for the urinary infection with a name that starts with a C. (sorry, can't recall) ...
- I was taking prednisone for an allergic reaction. I had severe hives with itching and was hospitalized and put on prednisone 60 milligrams a day and tappered down 6 days after being in hospital, in the hospital I noticed blisters on the back of my right leg and I thought it was part of my allergic r ...
- I am on Remicade once a month since July 22nd of 2013. Had a great response until I hurt my low back again. Then the back pain just worked it's way right up my spine to the neck. I have had neck fusion one level...several bad discs. A knee replacement, a shoulder reconstruction etc. The numbness and ...
More related studies for: Gout, Shingles
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.