Review: could High blood pressure cause Constipation?
(By eHealthMe on Mar, 2, 2014)
Severity ratings: 2.6/4
On a scale of 1 to 4: 1=least, 2=moderate, 3=severe, 4=most severe
We study 207,383 people who have High blood pressure. Among them, 2,983 experience Constipation. See who they are, other conditions they have and drugs they take. This review is based on reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
High blood pressure
High blood pressure (latest reports from 1,126,502 patients) is typically treated by Lisinopril, Atenolol, Amlodipine Besylate, Diovan, Hydrochlorothiazide, Norvasc.
Constipation (latest reports from 493,853 patients) has been reported by people with pain, osteoporosis, high blood pressure, depression, high blood cholesterol.
On Mar, 2, 2014: 207,292 people who have high blood pressure are studied. Among them, 2,983 (1.44%) have Constipation.
Gender of people who have high blood pressure and experienced Constipation * :
Age of people who have high blood pressure and experienced Constipation * :
Severity of the symptom * :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
Top co-existing conditions for these people * :
- Pain (496 people, 16.63%)
- Blood cholesterol increased (426 people, 14.28%)
- Diabetes mellitus (371 people, 12.44%)
- Osteoporosis (365 people, 12.24%)
- Depression (348 people, 11.67%)
- Gastrooesophageal reflux disease (343 people, 11.50%)
- Prophylaxis (302 people, 10.12%)
- Constipation (255 people, 8.55%)
- Atrial fibrillation (243 people, 8.15%)
- Anxiety (240 people, 8.05%)
Most common drugs used by these people * :
- Aspirin (765 people, 25.65%)
- Hydrochlorothiazide (554 people, 18.57%)
- Lisinopril (549 people, 18.40%)
- Lipitor (429 people, 14.38%)
- Norvasc (408 people, 13.68%)
- Fosamax (347 people, 11.63%)
- Atenolol (345 people, 11.57%)
- Toprol-xl (339 people, 11.36%)
- Lasix (326 people, 10.93%)
- Amlodipine (300 people, 10.06%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related topic: High blood pressure, Constipation
You can also:
Common treatments for High Blood Pressure and their efficacy:
Could your drug cause it?
Browse all High blood pressure symptoms from A to Z:
Comments from related studies:
From this study (1 month ago):
Since being hospitalized last September with thickening of the stomach liner & bloody stools/severe cramping & diarrhea, I have cut my dosage back on the topamax hoping that it would help my symptoms. As soon as I did that, the migraines came back. I was originally taking a low dose of 25mg x 2 a day. Now, I take one every other day & I am still experiencing Nast side effects.
I also have a lot of fibroid cysts with one growing on my right ovary. My periods have become more severe, also.
I also had a colonoscopy a week ago to full out chron's & other IBD's. The test showed 2 perforations in my colon which causes me to get deathly ill resulting in a trip to the ER. I have asked several doctors if Topamax could be the cause of my stomach problems & they all said no. Do they not have access to the same info that I find about this necessary evil drug?!! It's obvious that my suffering from the debilitating side-effects of this migraine med is no longer worth it. But now what? I have literally became a 39 year old shut in! My stomach hurts all the time & the GI doc says that it's not from my stomach???!!! I wonder if he missed the part that I can't leave my house because I never know when my stomach is going to flare or that it's not normal to have blood constantly in the stool? At least I have an idea of what is causing all of this agony & I am hopeful to put the pieces of my life back together....sooner than later. I am not ready to be a shut in.
From this study (1 month ago):
Daily: baby aspirin, multivitamin, vitamin D, fiber supplement
From this study (1 month ago):
Recent colonoscopy and stool sample both negative
Post a new comment OR Read more comments
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
More questions for: High blood pressure, Constipation
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
More reviews for: High blood pressure, Constipation
Recent related drug studies on eHealthMe:
- A study of drug interactions between Zofran, Bentyl, Topamax, Lisinopril And Hydrochlorothiazide for a patient with Nausea, Ibs & Colits Flare Ups, Migraine, High Blood Pressure. The patient has Inflammation - Rectum (Proctitis), Pain - Leg (Leg pain), Shoulder Pain, Stomach Pumping (Gastric suction), Fatigue - Chronic (Chronic fatigue syndrome), Pain - Back (Back pain - low), Constipation, Diarrhea, Nausea, Blood In Stool
- A study of drug interactions between Finasteride, Hydrochlorothiazide, Vytorin, Losartan, Levothyroxine Sodium for a patient with BPH, High Blood Pressure, High Blood Cholesterol, Hypothyroidism. The patient has Erectile Dysfunction (Erection problems), Blood Urine, Constipation
- A study of drug interactions between Benadryl, Zyrtec, Fluconazole, Lansoprazole, Miralax, Lidoderm, Cardizem, Fioricet, Advair Diskus 500/50, Symbicort, Relpax, Tylenol, Enbrel, Vitamin B12, Restasis, Ipratropium Bromide, Xopenex Hfa, Xopenex, Singulair, Oxycodone, Baclofen, Aygestin, Vitamin D for a patient with Allergic Reactions, Allergic Sinusitis, Gerd, Constipation, Pain Management, Hypertension, Migraine With Aura, Asthma, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Vitamin B12 Deficiency, Dry Eye, Muscle Contractions Involuntary, Endometriosis, Vitamin D Deficiency. The patient has Single Digit Swelling From.past Injury, Vertigo Positional, Nerve Pain (Neuralgia), Pain - Joints (Joint pain), Pain, Constipation, Passed Out (Fainting), Drowsiness, Fatigue, Interruption Of Aortic Arch, Micturition Frequency Decreased, Blood Pressure Increased (High blood pressure), Pressure Sore, Vision Blurred, Diastolic Blood Pressure
More related studies for: High blood pressure, Constipation
Recent High Blood Pressure related drug comparison:
More related comparison studies for: High blood pressure, Constipation
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.