Review: could Hypothyroidism cause Cataract?
We study 33,059 people who have Hypothyroidism from FDA and social media. Among them, 258 have Cataract. Find out below who they are, other conditions they have and drugs they take.
Get connected: join a mobile support group for people who have Hypothyroidism and Cataract >>>
Hypothyroidism (abnormally low activity of the thyroid gland, resulting in retardation of growth and mental development) (latest reports from 130,015 patients) can be treated by Synthroid, Levothyroxine Sodium, Levoxyl, Levothyroxine Thyroid, Levothroid, Cytomel.
Cataract (clouding of the lens inside the eye) (latest reports from 136,058 patients) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, osteopenia, diabetes.
On Oct, 26, 2014: 33,040 people who have hypothyroidism are studied. Among them, 258 (0.78%) have Cataract.
Gender of people who have hypothyroidism and experienced Cataract * :
Age of people who have hypothyroidism and experienced Cataract * :
Severity of the symptom * :
Top co-existing conditions for these people * :
- Osteoporosis (106 people, 41.09%)
- Hypertension (57 people, 22.09%)
- Osteopenia (29 people, 11.24%)
- Osteoarthritis (26 people, 10.08%)
- Gastrooesophageal reflux disease (25 people, 9.69%)
- Blood cholesterol increased (18 people, 6.98%)
- Pain (18 people, 6.98%)
- Rheumatoid arthritis (16 people, 6.20%)
- Hypersensitivity (15 people, 5.81%)
- Anxiety (14 people, 5.43%)
Most common drugs used by these people * :
- Synthroid (159 people, 61.63%)
- Fosamax (118 people, 45.74%)
- Levothyroxine sodium (47 people, 18.22%)
- Alendronate sodium (40 people, 15.50%)
- Levoxyl (35 people, 13.57%)
- Premarin (34 people, 13.18%)
- Aspirin (33 people, 12.79%)
- Vioxx (25 people, 9.69%)
- Lipitor (24 people, 9.30%)
- Allegra (21 people, 8.14%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Hypothyroidism and Cataract?
Get connected! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who have Cataract and Hypothyroidism
- support group for people who have Hypothyroidism
- support group for people who have Cataract
Comments from related studies:
From this study (3 years ago):
Elizabeth Mina on Jul, 11, 2011:
After my first dose of Citrucel fiber 3 days ago, I started noticing increasing symptoms of urinary retention (difficulty getting a stream of urine started with very little and dark urine). Because of former back surgery and a known propensity to experience urinary retention with nerve drugs like neurontin and SSRIs like Paxil, I always have to be alert to any ingredient that impairs urination. However, I didn't have any urinary retention in the 5 years I took Metamucil fiber for constipation. (I had to stop taking Metamucil after I started responding with chronic asthma to its main ingredient, the psyllium, which is ground husk from the plantain plant; my allergy doctor tested me to this common weed allergen and I had a positive reaction.) I am wondering why Citrucel gives me urinary retention whereas the Metamucil never did, since they are both similar forms of fiber geared to work the say way. Any answers?
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
- Omeprazole or pantoprazole?
I take an oral contraceptive, Diane-35 ED, which is not in the list of drugs to choose from on this site.
Recently, the medication I was taking for my stomach ulcer (Omeprazole) became unavailable in my country of residence and was replaced by Patoprazole. I started taking it yesterday morning a ...
- Has anyone been prescribed methotrexate for granuloma annulare?
I have had GA for 2 years now, however it has gotten progressively worse the past 6 months. It has now spread over 80% of my body. I am seeing an Endocrinologist next week as I believe my thyroid may play a big role in this. My Regular Dr. suggested I speak to Endocrinologist about a drug called Met ...
- I have been on armour 8 days started at 1 grain after having been on 88 mcg synthroid.
Was on 88mcg synthroid. Test was 4.75 tsh and low t3 3.3. Switched 8 days ago to 1 grain armour and now feel shaky. Pulse 90. Had diarrhea and vomiting last night at 1 in am. Is it working too fast? Felt good earlier in week and slept all night for first time in months.
More questions for: Hypothyroidism, Cataract
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- Shortness of breath after taking levothyroxine for 8-10 yrs.
I have been experiencing shortness of breath lately when taking the levothyroxine. If I stop taking it for a couple of days my shortness of breath is pretty much gone.
- My memory loss due to omeprazole
I took omeprazole for 20 years until I developed edema of the lower extremities. I started having memory problems right away and they still persist even though I have not taken omeprazole now for about 6 yrs. I am hoping it will dissipate or clear my system. I do not have a constant memory proble ...
- Lipitor bad reaction
I was on lipitor for 5 years started at 10mg and the headaches started. At 5 years on I was up to 80mg and had severe migraines every day. Was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism and given synthroid. Also had a prescription for migraine meds that did nothing. My daughter found out she and her kids ha ...
More reviews for: Hypothyroidism, Cataract
Common treatments for Hypothyroidism and their efficacy:
Could your drug cause it?
Studies of common Hypothyroidism symptoms:
- Exhaustion, Fatigue, Lethargy, Tiredness, Weariness in Hypothyroidism (2,219 reports)
- Nausea in Hypothyroidism (1,856 reports)
- Dizziness in Hypothyroidism (1,784 reports)
- Shortness Of Breath in Hypothyroidism (1,682 reports)
- Muscle Weakness in Hypothyroidism (1,531 reports)
- Pain - Head in Hypothyroidism (1,491 reports)
- Drug Not Working in Hypothyroidism (1,384 reports)
- Stress And Anxiety in Hypothyroidism (1,372 reports)
- Diarrhoea in Hypothyroidism (1,350 reports)
- Blood Pressure Increased in Hypothyroidism (1,328 reports)
Cataract related symptom studies:
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.