Review: could Hypothyroidism cause Diarrhea?
Summary: Diarrhea could be caused by Hypothyroidism, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, also have Hypertension, and take Synthroid.
We study 32,525 people who have Hypothyroidism from FDA and social media. Among them, 1,337 have Diarrhea. Find out below who they are, other conditions they have and drugs they take.
On Apr, 15, 2014: 32,525 people who have hypothyroidism are studied. Among them, 1,337 (4.11%) have Diarrhea. They amount to 0.12% of all the 1,094,003 people who have Diarrhea on eHealthMe.
Gender of people who have hypothyroidism and experienced Diarrhea * :
Age of people who have hypothyroidism and experienced Diarrhea * :
Severity of the symptom * :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
Top co-existing conditions for these people * :
- Hypertension (435 people, 32.54%)
- Depression (177 people, 13.24%)
- Osteoporosis (155 people, 11.59%)
- Anxiety (131 people, 9.80%)
- Blood cholesterol increased (129 people, 9.65%)
- Pain (109 people, 8.15%)
- Diabetes mellitus (104 people, 7.78%)
- Gastrooesophageal reflux disease (100 people, 7.48%)
- Atrial fibrillation (98 people, 7.33%)
- Prophylaxis (91 people, 6.81%)
Most common drugs used by these people * :
- Synthroid (630 people, 47.12%)
- Levothyroxine sodium (496 people, 37.10%)
- Aspirin (134 people, 10.02%)
- Fosamax (125 people, 9.35%)
- Levoxyl (116 people, 8.68%)
- Humira (94 people, 7.03%)
- Lisinopril (86 people, 6.43%)
- Atenolol (83 people, 6.21%)
- Omeprazole (78 people, 5.83%)
- Pradaxa (77 people, 5.76%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related topic: Hypothyroidism, Diarrhea
You can also:
Common treatments for Hypothyroidism and their efficacy:
Could your drug cause it?
Comments from related studies:
From this study (3 days ago):
history of drug abuse and possible hepatitis c
From this study (1 week ago):
Over past 6+ years, hair has thinned by half.
help on Apr, 9, 2014:
hair loss maybe due to thyroid issues?
From this study (2 weeks ago):
sometimes it is worse than other times. the l-thyroxine dose not agree with me lower stomach feels like contractions, pain off and on
Post a new comment OR Read more comments
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.