Home > Hypothyroidism > High blood sugar > Hypothyroidism and High blood sugar
Review: could Hypothyroidism cause High blood sugar (Hyperglycemia)?
We study 32,988 people who have Hypothyroidism from FDA and social media. Among them, 159 have High blood sugar (Hyperglycemia). Find out below who they are, other conditions they have and drugs they take.
Get connected: join a mobile support group for people who have Hypothyroidism and High blood sugar >>>
Hypothyroidism (abnormally low activity of the thyroid gland, resulting in retardation of growth and mental development) (latest reports from 129,831 patients) can be treated by Synthroid, Levothyroxine Sodium, Levoxyl, Levothyroxine Thyroid, Levothroid, Cytomel.
High blood sugar
High blood sugar (high blood sugar) (latest reports from 145,124 patients) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, diabetes, type 2 diabetes, depression, bipolar disorder.
On Sep, 15, 2014: 32,936 people who have hypothyroidism are studied. Among them, 159 (0.48%) have High Blood Sugar.
Gender of people who have hypothyroidism and experienced High blood sugar * :
|High blood sugar||76.92%||23.08% |
Age of people who have hypothyroidism and experienced High blood sugar * :
|High blood sugar||0.00%||0.72%||0.72%||4.32%||5.04%||17.99%||34.53%||37.41% |
Severity of the symptom * :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|High blood sugar||9.52%||66.67%||23.81%||0.00% |
Top co-existing conditions for these people * :
- Hypertension (54 people, 33.96%)
- Diabetes mellitus (34 people, 21.38%)
- Depression (23 people, 14.47%)
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus (23 people, 14.47%)
- Osteoporosis (15 people, 9.43%)
- Asthma (14 people, 8.81%)
- Hyperlipidaemia (13 people, 8.18%)
- Insomnia (13 people, 8.18%)
- Anxiety (12 people, 7.55%)
- Pain (12 people, 7.55%)
Most common drugs used by these people * :
- Levothyroxine sodium (69 people, 43.40%)
- Synthroid (62 people, 38.99%)
- Aspirin (37 people, 23.27%)
- Lantus (33 people, 20.75%)
- Simvastatin (22 people, 13.84%)
- Fosamax (22 people, 13.84%)
- Hydrochlorothiazide (18 people, 11.32%)
- Seroquel (13 people, 8.18%)
- Ambien (11 people, 6.92%)
- Atenolol (10 people, 6.29%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Hypothyroidism and High Blood Sugar?
Get connected! Join a mobile support group:
- group for people who have High Blood Sugar and Hypothyroidism
- group for people who have Hypothyroidism
- group for people who have High Blood Sugar
Comments from related studies:
From this study (5 months ago):
My thyroid medication was changed to Synthroid approximately 9 months ago. My last blood test show high sugar, high serum sodium and high carbon dioxide. I had used leventhroid for about 15 years previously. could this be caused by the synthroid.
From this study (9 months ago):
Steady decline for four years, but extreme decline over two months leading me in to hospital
From this study (3 years ago):
So many of the BP meds I have been placed on seem to elevate y=my blood sugars, cause arrythmias and/or aren't effective. I am glucose intolerant with a HGB A1C of around 6.5. (with or without metformin - stays the same)
Post a new comment OR Read more comments
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
- Omeprazole or pantoprazole?
I take an oral contraceptive, Diane-35 ED, which is not in the list of drugs to choose from on this site.
Recently, the medication I was taking for my stomach ulcer (Omeprazole) became unavailable in my country of residence and was replaced by Patoprazole. I started taking it yesterday morning a ...
- Has anyone been prescribed methotrexate for granuloma annulare?
I have had GA for 2 years now, however it has gotten progressively worse the past 6 months. It has now spread over 80% of my body. I am seeing an Endocrinologist next week as I believe my thyroid may play a big role in this. My Regular Dr. suggested I speak to Endocrinologist about a drug called Met ...
- I have been on armour 8 days started at 1 grain after having been on 88 mcg synthroid.
Was on 88mcg synthroid. Test was 4.75 tsh and low t3 3.3. Switched 8 days ago to 1 grain armour and now feel shaky. Pulse 90. Had diarrhea and vomiting last night at 1 in am. Is it working too fast? Felt good earlier in week and slept all night for first time in months.
More questions for: Hypothyroidism, High blood sugar
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- Shortness of breath after taking levothyroxine for 8-10 yrs.
I have been experiencing shortness of breath lately when taking the levothyroxine. If I stop taking it for a couple of days my shortness of breath is pretty much gone.
- My memory loss due to omeprazole
I took omeprazole for 20 years until I developed edema of the lower extremities. I started having memory problems right away and they still persist even though I have not taken omeprazole now for about 6 yrs. I am hoping it will dissipate or clear my system. I do not have a constant memory proble ...
- Lipitor bad reaction
I was on lipitor for 5 years started at 10mg and the headaches started. At 5 years on I was up to 80mg and had severe migraines every day. Was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism and given synthroid. Also had a prescription for migraine meds that did nothing. My daughter found out she and her kids ha ...
More reviews for: Hypothyroidism, High blood sugar
Common treatments for Hypothyroidism and their efficacy:
Could your drug cause it?
Studies of common Hypothyroidism symptoms:
- Fatigue in Hypothyroidism (2,217 reports)
- Nausea in Hypothyroidism (1,856 reports)
- Dizziness in Hypothyroidism (1,777 reports)
- Dyspnea in Hypothyroidism (1,665 reports)
- Asthenia in Hypothyroidism (1,529 reports)
- Pain - Head in Hypothyroidism (1,490 reports)
- Drug Ineffective in Hypothyroidism (1,384 reports)
- Anxiety, Apprehension, Feeling Uptight, Jitters, Stress, Stress And Anxiety, Tension in Hypothyroidism (1,371 reports)
- Diarrhea in Hypothyroidism (1,347 reports)
- Hbp in Hypothyroidism (1,328 reports)
High Blood Sugar related symptom studies:
Hypothyroidism is also known as: Adult hypothyroidism, Hypothyroid, Hypothyroids, Hypothyroidy, Low Thyroid, Myxedema, Under Active Thyroid, Under Active Thyroids, Underactive Thyroid.
High Blood Sugar is also known as: High Blood Glucose, High Blood Glucose Level, Hyperglycaemia, Hyperglycemia.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.