Review: could Hypothyroidism cause Metallic taste?
We study 32,898 people who have Hypothyroidism from FDA and social media. Among them, 240 have Metallic taste (Taste - impaired). Find out below who they are, other conditions they have and drugs they take.
Stay connected: join a mobile support group for people who have Hypothyroidism and Metallic taste >>>
Hypothyroidism (latest reports from 129,670 patients) can be treated by Synthroid, Levothyroxine Sodium, Levoxyl, Levothyroxine Thyroid, Levothroid, Armour Thyroid.
Metallic taste (a bad taste in the mouth) (latest reports from 160,115 patients) has been reported by people with insomnia, quit smoking, high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, depression.
On Aug, 17, 2014: 32,862 people who have hypothyroidism are studied. Among them, 240 (0.73%) have Metallic Taste. They amount to 0.15% of all the 160,039 people who have Metallic Taste on eHealthMe.
Gender of people who have hypothyroidism and experienced Metallic taste * :
|Metallic taste||88.57%||11.43% |
Age of people who have hypothyroidism and experienced Metallic taste * :
|Metallic taste||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||1.89%||6.60%||14.62%||22.17%||55.19% |
Severity of the symptom * :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Metallic taste||0.00%||44.44%||55.56%||0.00% |
Top co-existing conditions for these people * :
- Hypertension (45 people, 18.75%)
- Depression (37 people, 15.42%)
- Blood cholesterol increased (36 people, 15.00%)
- Osteoporosis (19 people, 7.92%)
- Hormone replacement therapy (17 people, 7.08%)
- Gastrooesophageal reflux disease (17 people, 7.08%)
- Smoking cessation therapy (16 people, 6.67%)
- Anxiety (13 people, 5.42%)
- Diabetes mellitus (12 people, 5.00%)
- Asthma (11 people, 4.58%)
Most common drugs used by these people * :
- Synthroid (122 people, 50.83%)
- Levothyroxine sodium (43 people, 17.92%)
- Levoxyl (39 people, 16.25%)
- Fosamax (20 people, 8.33%)
- Chantix (16 people, 6.67%)
- Lipitor (16 people, 6.67%)
- Actonel (14 people, 5.83%)
- Lisinopril (13 people, 5.42%)
- Vitamin e (12 people, 5.00%)
- Aspirin (12 people, 5.00%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
You can also:
Get connected! Join a mobile support group:
- group for people who have Metallic Taste and Hypothyroidism
- group for people who have Hypothyroidism
- group for people who have Metallic Taste
Comments from related studies:
From this study (8 months ago):
for more than 10 years, up until 5 months ago blood sugar well controlled on metformin/glyburide. The I had a bad episode with raspberry keytone. resulted in uncontrolled blood sugar.
in the last few months my doctor has added levothyroxine, and is in the process of ramping up to find the correct dose.
From this study (2 years ago):
Foods started tasting different about 9 months ago, but it would come and go. now it has gotten much worse. Virtually nothing tastes like it should. Acidic foods taste very bitter. Others foods are just different.
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
More questions for: Hypothyroidism, Metallic taste
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- Shortness of breath after taking levothyroxine for 8-10 yrs.
I have been experiencing shortness of breath lately when taking the levothyroxine. If I stop taking it for a couple of days my shortness of breath is pretty much gone.
- Celebrex and taste loss
Following foot surgery, I have taken Celebrex for most of the last 4 months. I can no longer taste or smell. I just started a Z pack for a sinus problem and am hoping that will clear any infection that could be contributing to this loss. I have also stopped taking Celebrex in the meantime.
- My memory loss due to omeprazole
I took omeprazole for 20 years until I developed edema of the lower extremities. I started having memory problems right away and they still persist even though I have not taken omeprazole now for about 6 yrs. I am hoping it will dissipate or clear my system. I do not have a constant memory proble ...
More reviews for: Hypothyroidism, Metallic taste
Common treatments for Hypothyroidism and their efficacy:
Could your drug cause it?
Studies of common Hypothyroidism symptoms:
- Fatigue in Hypothyroidism (2,214 reports)
- Nausea in Hypothyroidism (1,856 reports)
- Lightheadedness - Dizzy in Hypothyroidism (1,775 reports)
- Shortness Of Breath in Hypothyroidism (1,663 reports)
- Muscle Weakness in Hypothyroidism (1,529 reports)
- Frequent Headaches in Hypothyroidism (1,490 reports)
- Drug Not Working in Hypothyroidism (1,384 reports)
- Feeling Uptight in Hypothyroidism (1,371 reports)
- Diarrhea in Hypothyroidism (1,347 reports)
- Hypertension in Hypothyroidism (1,327 reports)
Metallic Taste related symptom studies:
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.