Would you have Metallic taste (Taste - impaired) when you have Hypothyroidism?
Summary: Metallic taste is found among people with Hypothyroidism, especially people who are female, 50-59 old, also have Hypertension, and take medication Synthroid.
We study 241 people who have Metallic taste (Taste - impaired) and Hypothyroidism from FDA and social media. Find out below who they are, other conditions they have and drugs they take.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who have Hypothyroidism and Metallic taste >>>
Hypothyroidism (abnormally low activity of the thyroid gland, resulting in retardation of growth and mental development) can be treated by Synthroid, Levothyroxine Sodium, Levoxyl, Levothyroxine Thyroid, Levothroid, Armour Thyroid. (latest reports from Hypothyroidism 49,328 patients)
Metallic taste (a bad taste in the mouth) has been reported by people with insomnia, quit smoking, high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, depression.(latest reports from Metallic taste 24,191 patients)
On Dec, 2, 2014: 241 people who have hypothyroidism and Metallic Taste are studied.
Gender of people who have hypothyroidism and experienced Metallic taste * :
|Metallic taste||88.62%||11.38% |
Age of people who have hypothyroidism and experienced Metallic taste * :
|Metallic taste||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||1.87%||7.01%||14.49%||21.96%||54.67% |
Severity of the symptom * :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Metallic taste||0.00%||40.00%||60.00%||0.00% |
Top co-existing conditions for these people * :
- Hypertension (45 people, 18.67%)
- Depression (37 people, 15.35%)
- Blood cholesterol increased (36 people, 14.94%)
- Osteoporosis (19 people, 7.88%)
- Hormone replacement therapy (17 people, 7.05%)
- Gastrooesophageal reflux disease (17 people, 7.05%)
- Smoking cessation therapy (16 people, 6.64%)
- Anxiety (13 people, 5.39%)
- Diabetes mellitus (12 people, 4.98%)
- Asthma (11 people, 4.56%)
Most common drugs used by these people * :
- Synthroid (122 people, 50.62%)
- Levothyroxine sodium (44 people, 18.26%)
- Levoxyl (39 people, 16.18%)
- Fosamax (20 people, 8.30%)
- Chantix (16 people, 6.64%)
- Lipitor (16 people, 6.64%)
- Actonel (14 people, 5.81%)
- Lisinopril (13 people, 5.39%)
- Vitamin e (12 people, 4.98%)
- Aspirin (12 people, 4.98%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Hypothyroidism and Metallic Taste?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who have Metallic Taste and Hypothyroidism
- support group for people who have Hypothyroidism
- support group for people who have Metallic Taste
Recent conversations of related support groups:
Could your drug cause:
Other conditions that could cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- I had an abortion 3 weeks ago and i'm now having the metallic taste in my mouth like i had before the abortion.
I had an abortion 3 weeks ago and thought all was okay but i've been experiencing the metallic taste in my mouth for 3 days now.
- Is it okay to take co enzyme q 10 with levothyroxine
Is it okay to take Co Enzyme Q10 with Lovothyroxine. Will it stop my Levothyroxine from working properly. I am also on Simvastaton. Would appreciate any advice on this.
- Does loss of taste from morphine come back ?
I was given morphine 3 months ago and have loss my ability to taste ever since.
- Omeprazole or pantoprazole?
I take an oral contraceptive, Diane-35 ED, which is not in the list of drugs to choose from on this site.
Recently, the medication I was taking for my stomach ulcer (Omeprazole) became unavailable in my country of residence and was replaced by Patoprazole. I started taking it yesterday morning and by midday today the side effects were unbearable. I am nauseous, have diarrhea, and a very severe headache. This didn't happen with Omeprazole. Do you think this is a drug interaction or is there some difference between the two that I am perhaps sensitive to?
- Has anyone been prescribed methotrexate for granuloma annulare?
I have had GA for 2 years now, however it has gotten progressively worse the past 6 months. It has now spread over 80% of my body. I am seeing an Endocrinologist next week as I believe my thyroid may play a big role in this. My Regular Dr. suggested I speak to Endocrinologist about a drug called Methotrexate. Has anyone taken this for GA, and if so, can you please tell me if it is working, side effects etc?
I am desperate for some relief!
More questions for: Hypothyroidism, Metallic taste
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Shortness of breath after taking levothyroxine for 8-10 yrs.
I have been experiencing shortness of breath lately when taking the levothyroxine. If I stop taking it for a couple of days my shortness of breath is pretty much gone.
- Celebrex and taste loss
Following foot surgery, I have taken Celebrex for most of the last 4 months. I can no longer taste or smell. I just started a Z pack for a sinus problem and am hoping that will clear any infection that could be contributing to this loss. I have also stopped taking Celebrex in the meantime.
- My memory loss due to omeprazole
I took omeprazole for 20 years until I developed edema of the lower extremities. I started having memory problems right away and they still persist even though I have not taken omeprazole now for about 6 yrs. I am hoping it will dissipate or clear my system. I do not have a constant memory problem but rather problems remembering words from time to time. I ended up having to take magnesium for leg cramps that developed from taking omeprazole.
- Lipitor bad reaction
I was on lipitor for 5 years started at 10mg and the headaches started. At 5 years on I was up to 80mg and had severe migraines every day. Was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism and given synthroid. Also had a prescription for migraine meds that did nothing. My daughter found out she and her kids have celiac disease and her Gastroenterologist said I should have a blood test to see if I have the gene as well. My internist Poo poohed me and did not want me to have the test. That was when I totally lost faith in her. I insisted on the test and lo and behold I have 2 of the genes. I also had a rash that she kept telling me was from sweat, but gave me no other info. As soon as I stopped eating gluten the rash went away.About that time I had a headache so severe that I went to the ER. The dr there thought I was having a stroke. The pain was so bad I vomited several times. That's when I stopped the lipitor and synthroid and quit going to her. I am totally headache free now. Took about 6 months for them to totally go away. I can also sleep all night again. I don't know if the problem was from the synthroid or lipitor.
- I'm curing my lichen sclerosis
I took Prempro for about 5 years and then Activella for about 3 years for Menopausal symptoms. My first obvious symptoms of a problem began in 2005 which follow all the classic symptoms of Lichen. I spent thousands on Urology exams, tests, and surgical procedures. And thousands on Gynecological attempts at remedies. Finally with no answers and no relief against the doctors advise I went off my H.R.T.s and Vagifem and then a year later all antiobiotics, creams etc. and though mending has been catastrophically slow (4 years)I am in what I'd call the last stage of mending as this condition is not just skin deep (urogenital). I have just the faintest redness left (where it first began!)and of course scarring/fusing of labia's etc. But I would say 90% of symptoms are gone. Just know it took 4 Years to heal without pain medications and all the crazy meds that just covered the 'adverse chemical reaction'. I filed a report with the FDA in 2009 and of course heard nothing back.
More reviews for: Hypothyroidism, Metallic taste
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- Was put on complete thyroid replacement drug when I was 16. (1960) Within about six months I could hardly walk and could not get into the school bus. I was not x-rayed at that time but the doctor considered I had growing pains as I was growing after taking the thyroid drug. Later I was ex-rayed and ...
- After 3-4 days of taking adderall or any stimulants I start to get pimple like sores on my scalp, nose,eyes,mouth,face and vaginal area puss comes out of mi eyes and vaginal area.
It seems like every hair follicle or cut becomes clogged and filled with puss. It burns when I use the restroom. My ey ...
- Bleeding symptoms reduce when off medication for nearly a week. Blood clot type content in loose stool (liquid). blood ranges from very dark to bright in same movement. Amount of blood is concern. There is pain and firm area in between upper pelvic and lower abdomen area that disappears after moveme ...
- Was prescribed Voltaren gel for tenosynovitis of my thumb. Helped the pain somewhat, but I woke up feeling terrible. I am sensitive to stronger oral pain medications, which is why this was prescribed in the first place, but the side effects are worse than when I have taken codeine. Felt somewhat be ...
- Just started Prozac 4 weeks ago with no side effects. Became ill with UTI, doctor prescribed Bactrim & Phenergan. Within a day, I had severe muscle rigidity in my jaw, neck, shoulders & abdomen. It was not like a "leg cramp" and nothing I have ever experienced. I stopped taking the Prozac and th ...
More related studies for: Hypothyroidism, Metallic taste
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.