Review: could Hypothyroidism cause Metallic taste?
(By eHealthMe on Feb, 22, 2014)
Severity ratings: 2.8/4
On a scale of 1 to 4: 1=least, 2=moderate, 3=severe, 4=most severe
We study 32,402 people who have Hypothyroidism. Among them, 225 experience Metallic taste (Taste - impaired). See who they are, other conditions they have and drugs they take. This review is based on reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
Hypothyroidism (latest reports from 125,638 patients) is typically treated by Synthroid, Levothyroxine Sodium, Levoxyl, Levothroid, Levothyroxine Thyroid, Cytomel.
Metallic taste (a bad taste in the mouth) (latest reports from 154,441 patients) has been reported by people with insomnia, quit smoking, high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, type 2 diabetes.
On Mar, 8, 2014: 32,402 people who have hypothyroidism are studied. Among them, 237 (0.73%) have Metallic Taste. They amount to 0.15% of all the 154,441 people who have Metallic Taste.
Gender of people who have hypothyroidism and experienced Metallic taste * :
|Metallic taste||88.84%||11.16% |
Age of people who have hypothyroidism and experienced Metallic taste * :
|Metallic taste||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||1.90%||5.71%||14.76%||22.38%||55.24% |
Severity of the symptom * :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Metallic taste||0.00%||50.00%||50.00%||0.00% |
Top co-existing conditions for these people * :
- Hypothyroidism (237 people, 100.00%)
- Hypertension (44 people, 18.57%)
- Depression (36 people, 15.19%)
- Blood cholesterol increased (36 people, 15.19%)
- Osteoporosis (19 people, 8.02%)
- Gastrooesophageal reflux disease (17 people, 7.17%)
- Hormone replacement therapy (17 people, 7.17%)
- Smoking cessation therapy (16 people, 6.75%)
- Anxiety (13 people, 5.49%)
- Diabetes mellitus (12 people, 5.06%)
Most common drugs used by these people * :
- Synthroid (121 people, 51.05%)
- Levothyroxine sodium (42 people, 17.72%)
- Levoxyl (39 people, 16.46%)
- Fosamax (20 people, 8.44%)
- Chantix (16 people, 6.75%)
- Lipitor (15 people, 6.33%)
- Actonel (14 people, 5.91%)
- Lisinopril (13 people, 5.49%)
- Aspirin (12 people, 5.06%)
- Vitamin e (12 people, 5.06%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related topic: Hypothyroidism, Metallic taste
You can also:
Common treatments for Hypothyroidism and their efficacy:
Could your drug cause it?
Browse all Hypothyroidism symptoms from A to Z:
Comments from related studies:
From this study (2 months ago):
for more than 10 years, up until 5 months ago blood sugar well controlled on metformin/glyburide. The I had a bad episode with raspberry keytone. resulted in uncontrolled blood sugar.
in the last few months my doctor has added levothyroxine, and is in the process of ramping up to find the correct dose.
From this study (1 year ago):
Foods started tasting different about 9 months ago, but it would come and go. now it has gotten much worse. Virtually nothing tastes like it should. Acidic foods taste very bitter. Others foods are just different.
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
More questions for: Hypothyroidism, Metallic taste
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- Lipitor bad reaction
I was on lipitor for 5 years started at 10mg and the headaches started. At 5 years on I was up to 80mg and had severe migraines every day. Was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism and given synthroid. Also had a prescription for migraine meds that did nothing. My daughter found out she and her kids ha ...
- I'm curing my lichen sclerosis
I took Prempro for about 5 years and then Activella for about 3 years for Menopausal symptoms. My first obvious symptoms of a problem began in 2005 which follow all the classic symptoms of Lichen. I spent thousands on Urology exams, tests, and surgical procedures. And thousands on Gynecological atte ...
- Loss of taste & recovery
Condition appeared upon use of Simvastatin. Mostly corrected by liberal use of MSG.
More reviews for: Hypothyroidism, Metallic taste
Recent related drug studies on eHealthMe:
- A study of drug interactions between Levothyroxine Thyroid, Glyburide, Metformin for a patient with Hypothyroidism, Diabetes Insipidus. The patient has Dysgeusia (Taste - impaired), Tongue Coated
- A study of drug interactions between Levothyroxine Sodium, Aldactone, Chlorthalidone, Allopurinol, Amlodipine Besylate, Metformin Hydrochloride for a patient with Hypothyroidism, High Blood Pressure, Gout - Acute, High Blood Sugar. The patient has Dysgeusia (Taste - impaired)
More related studies for: Hypothyroidism, Metallic taste
Recent Hypothyroidism related drug comparison:
More related comparison studies for: Hypothyroidism, Metallic taste
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.