Home > Ra > Als > Ra and Als
Would you have Als (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) when you have Ra?
Summary: Als is found among people with Ra, especially people who are female, 60+ old, also have Rheumatoid arthritis, and take medication Methotrexate.
We study 79 people who have Als (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) and Ra from FDA and social media. Find out below who they are, other conditions they have and drugs they take.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who have Ra and Als >>>
Ra (rheumatoid arthritis) (latest reports from 321,564 patients) can be treated by Methotrexate, Enbrel, Methotrexate Sodium, Humira, Prednisone, Plaquenil.
Als (als is the death of both upper and lower motor neurons in the motor cortex of the brain, the brain stem, and the spinal cord) (latest reports from 5,460 patients) has been reported by people with high blood cholesterol, rheumatoid arthritis, hyperlipidaemia, high blood pressure, multiple sclerosis.
On Oct, 26, 2014: 200,061 people who have ra are studied. Among them, 79 (0.04%) have Als.
Gender of people who have ra and experienced Als * :
Age of people who have ra and experienced Als * :
Severity of the symptom * :
Top co-existing conditions for these people * :
- Rheumatoid arthritis (79 people, 100.00%)
- Vitamin supplementation (19 people, 24.05%)
- Hypercholesterolaemia (11 people, 13.92%)
- Hypertension (8 people, 10.13%)
- Abdominal pain upper (8 people, 10.13%)
- Osteoporosis (4 people, 5.06%)
- Pain in extremity (3 people, 3.80%)
- Pain (3 people, 3.80%)
- Abdominal discomfort (3 people, 3.80%)
- Diabetes mellitus (3 people, 3.80%)
Most common drugs used by these people * :
- Methotrexate (79 people, 100.00%)
- Remicade (57 people, 72.15%)
- Humira (42 people, 53.16%)
- Medrol (27 people, 34.18%)
- Alendronate sodium (25 people, 31.65%)
- Folic acid (24 people, 30.38%)
- Enbrel (21 people, 26.58%)
- Mobic (13 people, 16.46%)
- Prednisolone (12 people, 15.19%)
- Omeprazole (11 people, 13.92%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Ra and Als?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who have Als and Ra
- support group for people who have Ra
- support group for people who have Als
Could your drug cause:
Other conditions that could cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- What side effects do you experience from sulpfasalazine?
(Asked by a 58 year old woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis, and takes Sulfasalazine)
I began taking sulfasalazine 5 days ago for Rheumatoid arthritis. Since then I've had stomach cramps and bloating. Has anyone else experienced these side effects? If so, did the symptoms go away after using taking the meds for a while? And did the meds help the RA symptoms?
- Is there a support group in the us for people with insulinomas?
(Asked by a 44 year old woman who has Insulinoma, Pancreatic Abdominal Resection, Neuropathy - Facial, Neuropathy - Brachial Plexus, Neuropathy Peripheral, Muscle Cramps, Cataract Surgery, Strabismus, Aorto-duodenal Fistula, Pancreatic Neuroendocrine Tumour, Antiphospholipid Syndrome, Lupus, Posterior Spinal Fusion, Bone Degeneration, Osteoarthritis, Bradycardia, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Islets Of Langerhans)
SUPPORT GROUP IN UNITED STATES!!!
Hi, the only support group that I've been able to find for people with insulinomas is located in the UK... just wondering if there is one in the US. I had pancreatic surgery to remove my first insulinoma in 2012, we're thinking there's another because I'm stil ...
- I am a 56 year old female with rheumatoid arthritis. i also have found out i have osteoporosis. i keep getting right breast sensitivity also tingling and tenderness in right scapula area...
(Asked by a 56 year old woman who has Hign Blood Pressure, Osteoporosis Postmenopausal, Rheumatoid Arthritis, and takes Methotrexate)
I am a 56 year old female with tingling in my right shoulder blade and some tenderness. I have occasional breast discomfort in the same side and sometimes my rt. nipple feels sensitive. If I touch the area, the symptom on the nipple vanishes. at times the tingling travels into my neck and symptoms s ...
- Do i need to temporarily stop taking my enbrel and methotrexate (that i take every week) while i am on azithromycin for severe cold symptoms?
(Asked by a 47 year old woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis, and takes Dexamethasone, Tussicaps, Azithromycin, Methotrexate, Enbrel)
i have RA and take Enbrel and methotrexate every week. i am currently taking azithromycin, tussicaps and dexamethasone to treat a severe cold, cough, sore throat, etc. My question is should i stop taking the ra meds until my antibiotics and steroids are done? Or should i just continue as normal, don ...
- What is known about treatment of humans for als with folic acid.? what is known about possible connection between als and high levels of homocysteine
(Asked by a 65 year old man who has ALS)
i saw an article from 2008 about positive results of using folic acid +b12 with mice/
my question is wether there is new information since than or about possible connection between als and high levels of homocysteine
More questions for: Ra, Als
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Why has my bloodpresher now shot up
(Posted by a 69 year old woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis, and takes Sulfadiazine)
My blood pressure was always low 120/68 now since being treated for rheumatoid arthritis it has shot up to 175/92
- Had nms in 2005, will trileptal increase chance of recurrence?
(Posted by a 62 year old woman who has Narcolepsy, Prinzmetal's Angina , Antiphospholipid Syndrome, High Blood Pressure, Obsessive-compulsive Personality Disorder, Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome, Migraine With Aura, Herniated Intervertebral Disk, Osteoarthritis, Fibromyalgia, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Diabetes Mellitus Insulin-dependent, Bipolar I Disorder, and takes Benadryl, Baclofen, Plaquenil, Nitro-bid, Maxalt-mlt, Imitrex, Zofran Odt, Ms Contin, Clonidine, Amlodipine Besylate, Novolog Flexpen, Levemir Flexpen, Halcion, Valium, Primidone, Neurontin, Trileptal)
In 2005 I had NMS, which was not detected by my drs for 4 months. I'd been on Lexapro & Seroquel for 2 yrs, but was weaned from Lexapro & placed on Lamictal 3/05. Began getting low-grade fevers, which I was told were not caused by the Lamictal. I quit taking it anyway, fevers (along with uncontrolla ...
- Sulfasalazine and the never ending menstrual cycle
(Posted by a 43 year old woman who has Arthritis - Rheumatoid, and takes Sulfasalazine)
I started this drug and never had menstrual problems begore. Within 3 months, I started my period and it never stopped even with stopping the drug for 3 mon ths. I ended up going my gyne and he prescribed megace. I had been bleeding for a total of 6 months. Made an appt with my rhuemy and explai ...
- Vasculitis from enbrel
(Posted by a 53 year old woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis, and takes Enbrel)
I have deep scars on my legs from vasculitis. This was caused by Enbrel. Initially no one would connect the two: per my rheumatologist 'no one has ever reported vasculitis as a side effect of enbrel.' (2003)
I had to suspend the enbrel for 8 weeks in preparation for complex abdominal surgery. The ...
- Spiriva caused me to swell up like a hippo.
(Posted by a 46 year old woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and takes Advair Diskus 250/50, Methotrexate, Plaquenil, Metformin, Klonopin, Zanaflex, Prednisone, Singulair, Imitrex, Nexium)
My Doctor prescribed spiriva to help me breathe due to asthma/cold. I never smoked but my parents and friends were heavy smokers. I used the spiriva 3 times. Once a day for 3 days then I started swelling in my ankles and the swelling continued until my face, hands arms... basically I was so swollen ...
More reviews for: Ra, Als
- A study of side effects of Humira for a patient with RA. The patient has Depression, Suicidal Thoughts Anger, Uncontrollable Rage, Paranoia
Comments: over the last 6 month she has increasingly had fits of rage the most recent lasting for over 10 hours including paranoia, 2 suicide attempt . she attacked her husband cutting him on the face with car keys because her sister in law hugged him who was there with her own husband her brother to help cl ...
- A study of side effects of Plaquenil for a patient with Rheumatoid Arthritis. The patient has Dysphasia (language disorder marked by deficiency in the generation of speech)
Comments: HI, Ive had hpv for years without any issues. I first had the warts from my husband at the time (31 rs ago) when pregnant. It went away by itself (warts) after i had my son. Ive had paps over the years and always say low risk don't worry very mild form. Well i found out i have ra my ra factor number ...
- A study of drug interactions between Symbicort, Proventil, Acthar, Methotrexate, Lisinopril, Clonazepam, Risperdal, Adderall for a patient with Bronchial Asthma, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypertension, Anxiety, Bipolar, Add. The patient has Throat Tightness, Liver Tenderness, Vaginal Swelling, Constipation, Abdominal Tenderness, Neck, Shoulder And Arm Syndrome, Urge Incontinence, Weakness, Night Sweats, Shortness Of Breath, Yellow Fever, Yellow Skin, Chest Tightness, Cough, Inflammation, Bronchitis, Fluid Retention
Comments: I just begsn tx for rs using safest meds possible but did not yolerste pills so we are doing injections once a week but since we started I developed abdom ook nal edema plus whole body especially feet which subsided ptior to msjor orgsn testing hestt kidney bloodwotk a nd liver ultra sound. Results ...
- A study of side effects of Plaquenil for a patient with Rheumatoid Arthritis. The patient has Asthma
Comments: I am a long standing chronic asthmatic, under a level of control, and for the last 10 years an inflammatory illness which can be very severe. I have, through my Consultant tried many DMARD treatments, all of them quickly causing an excaserbation of asthma. The only DMARD I seemed to tolerate was Pla ...
- A study of drug interactions between Prednisone, Diflucan, Lexapro, Methotrexate, Plaquenil for a patient with Rash, Skin Infection - Yeast, Depression, Rheumatoid Arthritis. The patient has Rash Scaly
Comments: Hives started on left temple and right lower jaw bone. Next day started underneath my chin. Had some small bumps...itched, hurt. Two days later rash/hives spread to arms, hands, chest and around waist. I had small areas on both hands that resembled blisters. Tried Prednisone and after first rou ...
More related studies for: Ra, Als
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.