Review: could Ra cause Als (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)?
We study 200,070 people who have Ra from FDA and social media. Among them, 79 have Als (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis). Find out below who they are, other conditions they have and drugs they take.
Get connected: join a mobile support group for people who have Ra and Als >>>
Ra (rheumatoid arthritis) (latest reports from 321,151 patients) can be treated by Enbrel, Methotrexate, Methotrexate Sodium, Humira, Plaquenil, Prednisone.
Als (als is the death of both upper and lower motor neurons in the motor cortex of the brain, the brain stem, and the spinal cord) (latest reports from 5,458 patients) has been reported by people with high blood cholesterol, rheumatoid arthritis, hyperlipidaemia, high blood pressure, multiple sclerosis.
On Oct, 26, 2014: 200,061 people who have ra are studied. Among them, 79 (0.04%) have Als.
Gender of people who have ra and experienced Als * :
Age of people who have ra and experienced Als * :
Severity of the symptom * :
Top co-existing conditions for these people * :
- Rheumatoid arthritis (79 people, 100.00%)
- Vitamin supplementation (19 people, 24.05%)
- Hypercholesterolaemia (11 people, 13.92%)
- Hypertension (8 people, 10.13%)
- Abdominal pain upper (8 people, 10.13%)
- Osteoporosis (4 people, 5.06%)
- Pain in extremity (3 people, 3.80%)
- Pain (3 people, 3.80%)
- Abdominal discomfort (3 people, 3.80%)
- Diabetes mellitus (3 people, 3.80%)
Most common drugs used by these people * :
- Methotrexate (79 people, 100.00%)
- Remicade (57 people, 72.15%)
- Humira (42 people, 53.16%)
- Medrol (27 people, 34.18%)
- Alendronate sodium (25 people, 31.65%)
- Folic acid (24 people, 30.38%)
- Enbrel (21 people, 26.58%)
- Mobic (13 people, 16.46%)
- Prednisolone (12 people, 15.19%)
- Omeprazole (11 people, 13.92%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Ra and Als?
Get connected! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who have Als and Ra
- support group for people who have Ra
- support group for people who have Als
Comments from related studies:
From this study (2 days ago):
I tested positive for Benzodiazepines and I need to know if any of these medications are giving me that result or a combination of any of these medications giving a false positive for Benzo
From this study (2 days ago):
I tested positive for Benzodiazapins and I need to know if any of these medications are giving me that result or a combination of any of these medications giving a false posivitive for benzos
From this study (1 week ago):
I have been taking Humira for 6-1/2 months. All of a sudden about a month ago I developed a new Type 2 Allergic reaction to Bananas. I always ate bananas. It is a latex like reaction after ingesting from what I read on the internet. I have not been feeling well and do not eat often because I don't feel good after. Well, I ate 1/3rd of a steak sub for lunch and within minutes, my lips are swelling, my thumbs are swelling and I am itching like crazy.
Post a new comment OR Read more comments
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
More questions for: Ra, Als
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- Had nms in 2005, will trileptal increase chance of recurrence?
In 2005 I had NMS, which was not detected by my drs for 4 months. I'd been on Lexapro & Seroquel for 2 yrs, but was weaned from Lexapro & placed on Lamictal 3/05. Began getting low-grade fevers, which I was told were not caused by the Lamictal. I quit taking it anyway, fevers (along with uncontrolla ...
- Sulfasalazine and the never ending menstrual cycle
I started this drug and never had menstrual problems begore. Within 3 months, I started my period and it never stopped even with stopping the drug for 3 mon ths. I ended up going my gyne and he prescribed megace. I had been bleeding for a total of 6 months. Made an appt with my rhuemy and explai ...
- Vasculitis from enbrel
I have deep scars on my legs from vasculitis. This was caused by Enbrel. Initially no one would connect the two: per my rheumatologist 'no one has ever reported vasculitis as a side effect of enbrel.' (2003)
I had to suspend the enbrel for 8 weeks in preparation for complex abdominal surgery. The ...
More reviews for: Ra, Als
Common treatments for Ra and their efficacy:
Could your drug cause it?
Studies of common Ra symptoms:
- Injection Site Pain in Ra (16,706 reports)
- Injection Site Erythema in Ra (10,861 reports)
- Pain - Joints in Ra (10,426 reports)
- Pneumonia in Ra (7,787 reports)
- Rash in Ra (7,480 reports)
- Pain - Head in Ra (6,972 reports)
- Lethargy in Ra (6,907 reports)
- Pain in Ra (6,847 reports)
- Heat Stroke in Ra (6,774 reports)
- Nausea in Ra (6,020 reports)
Als related symptom studies:
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent mobile support groups
- Robinul and Dry Mouth
- Bipolar Disorder and Pineal Gland Cyst
- Breathlessness and Atrial Flutter
- Atrial Flutter
Recent user comments
- "I did call my doctors office about it and they deny k ... " (3 hours ago)
- "I have been experiencing some chest discomfort on and ... " (7 hours ago)
- "Anxiety-driven retching when forcd to perform/present ... " (7 hours ago)
- Encephalitis Toxic
- Neonatal Leukaemia
- Vulval Leukoplakia
- Stones Cystine
- Oestriol Increased