Review: Arava and Plaquenil drug interactions
This review analyzes the interactions between Arava and Plaquenil. It is created by eHealthMe based on 1,883 people who have drug interactions while taking the drugs. The review uses reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
What are the drugs
Arava (latest outcomes from 15,877 users) has active ingredients of leflunomide. It is often used in rheumatoid arthritis.
Plaquenil (latest outcomes from 15,409 users) has active ingredients of hydroxychloroquine sulfate. It is often used in rheumatoid arthritis.
On Mar, 8, 2014: 1,883 people who reported to have interactions when taking Arava, Plaquenil are studied
Drug combinations in study:
- Arava (leflunomide)
- Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine sulfate)
Most common interactions experienced by people in the use of Arava, Plaquenil:(click on each outcome to view in-depth analysis, incl. how people recovered)
|Interaction||Number of reports|
|Arthralgia (joint pain)||259|
|Dyspnoea (difficult or laboured respiration)||211|
|Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit)||121|
|Rheumatoid Arthritis (a chronic progressive disease causing inflammation in the joints)||117|
|Injection Site Pain||114|
|Fatigue (feeling of tiredness)||106|
|Injection Site Erythema (redness at injection site)||97|
Most common interactions experienced by people in long term use of Arava, Plaquenil:(click on each outcome to view in-depth analysis, incl. how people recovered)
|Interaction||Number of reports|
|Dyspnoea (difficult or laboured respiration)||33|
|Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit)||27|
|Progressive Multifocal Leukoencephalopathy (rapidly progressive neuromuscular disease caused by opportunistic infection of brain cells)||21|
|Cellulitis (infection under the skin)||21|
|Fatigue (feeling of tiredness)||17|
|Hepatic Failure (liver failure)||16|
|Beta Haemolytic Streptococcal Infection (infection with streptococcus pyogenes, a beta-haemolytic bacterium cause mild to moderately severe respiratory tract, skin, and soft tissue)||16|
How effective are the drugs:
|not at all||somewhat||moderate||high||very high|
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Behcet's syndrome
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Folic acid
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
You can also:
- Check symptoms: is your symptom caused by a drug or a condition?
- Write a review: share your experience
- Ask a question: ask patients like you a question
- Subscribe the study: get notified of updates
- Post a comment: or see what other people said about the study
Complete drug side effects:
On eHealthMe, Arava (leflunomide) is often used to treat rheumatoid arthritis. Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine sulfate) is often used to treat rheumatoid arthritis. Find out below the conditions the drugs are used for, how effective they are, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is the drug used for and how effective is it:
- Arava is used in:
- Plaquenil is used in:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
- Arava alternatives:
- Plaquenil alternatives:
Comments from related studies:
From this study (2 weeks ago):
From this study (3 months ago):
From this study (12 months ago):
2+ Urine samples with moderate amount of blood(hysterectomy 2 yrs ago) and more than 2 UA's with protein in my urine. Last UA result was 30+ protein in urine. Personal History of kidney stones 10+yrs and Family hX of kidney problemss.
Arava was discountinued after a year and WBC recovered on 75% after discontinued
Plaquenil was reduced 3 day a week on the last 2 months.
WBC coming up again in 60% on the last 2 months
Last reclast (year IV) 10/12.
eosinophilia bowel problems with pain lethargic
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
- By BarbaraKay: Can curcumin c3 complex cause very dry mouth?
I have been takingall the above drugs since being diagnosed with Sarcoidosis in 1998-99. The only variation is prednisone which I take only when I have a flare. Itook my first Curcumin C3 Complex capsule 3 days ago. 500mg. I decided to start with one a day for awhile. After a few hours I had the dry ...
- By Zdanr: I have primary hyperparathyroidism with an adenoma and an igm of 16. can you tell me if the study was ever done on this combination.
Was given t-131 at age 16 and have virtually no thyroid gland. I also have systemic and coronary vasospasms that have caused heart damage, an unspecified autoimmune disease with elevated ANA, osteoporosis, normal calcium levels, parathyroid hormone of 117, an identified adenoma of the parathyroid, ...
- By Luke: Should someone with discoid lupus and only one kidney be taking hydrochlorothiazide for water retention?
taking 25mg of hydrochlorothiazide for water retention only.
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- By ctcrzy7: Spiriva caused me to swell up like a hippo.
My Doctor prescribed spiriva to help me breathe due to asthma/cold. I never smoked but my parents and friends were heavy smokers. I used the spiriva 3 times. Once a day for 3 days then I started swelling in my ankles and the swelling continued until my face, hands arms... basically I was so swollen ...
- By greeneyedgal: Plaquinil use shortness of breath
Approximately 4 months after starting Plaquenil, I observed I was experiencing SOB while lifting the patient I was caring for, also had severe muscle weakness. I had been out of the country for several weeks and thought I might have picked up something while in The Dominican. I was also losing wei ...
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin D, Clonazepam, Plaquenil, Arava, Lithium Carbonate for a patient with Vitamin D Decreased, Anxiety Disorder, Lupus Erythematosus, Lupus, Bipolar Ii Disorder. The patient has Vomiting (Nausea and vomiting), Nausea, Hematuria (Urine - bloody), Abdominal Pain Aggravated, Polyuria (Urination - excessive volume), Protein Albumin Ratio Increased
- A study of drug interactions between Reclast, Plaquenil, Arava for a patient with Osteoporosis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Arthritis - Rheumatoid. The patient has Anemia
- A study of drug interactions between Orencia, Plaquenil, Arava, Vitamin B12, Parafon Forte Dsc, Xanax, Colace, Soluble Fiber, Calcium Citrate, Centrum Silver, Imitrex, Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Tylenol for a patient with Arthritis, Pernicious Anemia, Anxiety, Bowel Movement Irregularity, Healthy Living, Migraine.
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients are also considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.