Review: Effexor Xr and Niacin drug interactions
This review analyzes the interactions between Effexor Xr and Niacin. It is created by eHealthMe based on 544 people who have drug interactions while taking the drugs. The review uses reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
What are the drugs
Effexor xr (latest outcomes from 20,891 users) has active ingredients of venlafaxine hydrochloride. It is often used in depression.
Niacin (latest outcomes from 6,280 users) has active ingredients of niacin. It is often used in high blood cholesterol.
On Feb, 6, 2014: 544 people who reported to have interactions when taking Effexor Xr, Niacin are studied
Drug combinations in study:
- Effexor Xr (venlafaxine hydrochloride)
- Niacin (niacin)
Most common interactions experienced by people in the use of Effexor Xr, Niacin:(click on each outcome to view in-depth analysis, incl. how people recovered)
|Interaction||Number of reports|
|Flushing (the warm, red condition of human skin)||220|
|Arthralgia (joint pain)||131|
|Fatigue (feeling of tiredness)||60|
|Headache (pain in head)||60|
|Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit)||58|
Most common interactions experienced by people in long term use of Effexor Xr, Niacin:(click on each outcome to view in-depth analysis, incl. how people recovered)
|Interaction||Number of reports|
|Flushing (the warm, red condition of human skin)||12|
|Pruritus (severe itching of the skin)||8|
|Erythema (redness of the skin)||6|
|Road Traffic Accident||3|
|Night Sweats (sweating in night)||2|
|Fatigue (feeling of tiredness)||2|
|Tremor (trembling or shaking movements in one or more parts of your body)||2|
How effective are the drugs:
|not at all||somewhat||moderate||high||very high|
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Diabetes mellitus
- Blood cholesterol increased
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
You can also:
- Check symptoms: is your symptom caused by a drug or a condition?
- Write a review: share your experience
- Ask a question: ask patients like you a question
- Subscribe the study: get notified of updates
- Post a comment: or see what other people said about the study
Complete drug side effects:
On eHealthMe, Effexor Xr (venlafaxine hydrochloride) is often used to treat depression. Niacin (niacin) is often used to treat high blood cholesterol. Find out below the conditions the drugs are used for, how effective they are, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is the drug used for and how effective is it:
- Effexor xr is used in:
- Niacin is used in:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
- Effexor xr alternatives:
- Niacin alternatives:
Comments from related studies:
From this study (1 year ago):
From this study (2 years ago):
From this study (2 years ago):
I have been evaluated with a CT scan for sinusitis, scoped by ENT, treated for non alllergic rhinitis and allergic rhinitis, had allergy testing, treated and evaluated for asthma, treated with steroids, evalulated and treated and scoped for GERD, chest xrays, lab work. All inconclusive.
Tested for Thyroid; hormones; treating now for non-hodgekins lymphona which has responded to treatment. Night sweats are still severe, so not from the cancer!
Experiencing memory loss and confusion so I started applying Exelon patch 9.6 which resulted in severe nightmares.
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
- By bergie39: Will taking a fiber supplement at the same time as niaspan create a problem/interaction
I have been told that taking a fiber supplement at the same time as taking Niaspan will limit the effects of the Niaspan. I need to know so that I can change the order in which I take my meds and supplements if needed.
- By svajuca: Could this be cataplexy?
I have been diagnosed with bio-polar about 4 years ago. Since then I also have experienced panic attacks and something I think might be caterplexy. Sometimes when I am in therapy session and things get heated emotionally my body kind of shuts down. My arms,legs everything gets kind of heavy and I ki ...
- By nanamom: Can abilify increase hallucinations in a person with frontotemporal lobe dementia?
I was diagnosed with frontotemporal dementia 4 years ago. I have experienced hallucinations at times over the last 2 years usually related with a UTI. One ongoing hallucination that I have that is not related to UTI is seeing bugs burrowing in my arms. I also tend to see people who are not there at ...
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- By Simon Dog: Niacin induced thrombocytopena
On peritoneal dialysis, 40mg Lipitor and 3000mg Niaspan. Platelets decreased to 12 and residual renal function fell off a cliff. Examination of patient's records for 10+ years showed long term platelet decline. Niaspan discontinued, platelets recovered to 120-200 (varies depending on sample) and ...
- By carolinewhitney: Effexor xr 150 mg and phentermine 37.5 mg
phentermine has caused significant weight loss. Effexor XR manages my GAD and depression but causes random physiological anxiety attacks, drastic increase in sweating, vivid and nightly nightmares
- By loislane56: Polymyalgia rheumatica
Diagnosed 12 months ago with type 2 diabetes - diet controlled. Diagnosed recently with polymyalgia rheumatica. Prescribed prednisone. This caused my blood sugar levels to skyrocket and. Now require insulin injections. Have developed a rash on arms & face. Have tried tapering prednisone dosage but p ...
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Calcium Citrate, Flaxseed Oil, Niacin, Fish Oil, Multivitamin, Effexor Xr, Desyrel for a patient with Health, Hyperlipidemia, Heal-all, Stress And Anxiety, Insomnia. The patient has Cough
- A study of drug interactions between Metoprolol Tartrate, Effexor Xr, Clarinex, Finasteride, Niaspan, Crestor, Metformin Hydrochloride, Amlodipine Besylate for a patient with Arrhythmia, Depression, Allergenic Desensitisation Procedure, Enlarged Prostate, Cholesterol, Diabetes Mellitus, Blood Pressure Management. The patient has Night Sweats
- A study of drug interactions between Pravastatin Sodium, Lisinopril, Niaspan, Venlafaxine Hydrochloride, Celebrex, Singulair, Aspirin, Exelon for a patient with High Density Lipoprotein Increased, High Blood Pressure, Low Density Lipoprotein Abnormal, Depression, Inflammation Localised, Asthma, Heart Rate Abnormal, Memory Loss. The patient has Short-term Memory Loss (Memory loss), Nightmare (Nightmares)
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients are also considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.