Review: Meclizine and Promethazine drug interactions
This review analyzes the interactions between Meclizine and Promethazine. It is created by eHealthMe based on 336 people who have drug interactions while taking the drugs. The review uses reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
What are the drugs
Meclizine (latest outcomes from 5,586 users) has active ingredients of meclizine hydrochloride. It is often used in dizziness.
Promethazine (latest outcomes from 1,198 users) has active ingredients of promethazine hydrochloride. It is often used in nausea.
On Feb, 28, 2014: 336 people who reported to have interactions when taking Meclizine, Promethazine are studied
Drug combinations in study:
- Meclizine (meclizine hydrochloride)
- Promethazine (promethazine hydrochloride)
Most common interactions experienced by people in the use of Meclizine, Promethazine:(click on each outcome to view in-depth analysis, incl. how people recovered)
|Interaction||Number of reports|
|Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit)||93|
|Headache (pain in head)||72|
Most common interactions experienced by people in long term use of Meclizine, Promethazine:(click on each outcome to view in-depth analysis, incl. how people recovered)
|Interaction||Number of reports|
|Polycystic Ovaries (cysts in the ovaries that occurs when the follicle stops developing)||1|
|Short-term Memory Loss||1|
|Metabolic Disorder (an abnormal function and pattern of body fat. insulin resistance refers to the diminished ability of cells to respond to the action of insulin in promoting the transport of the sugar glucose, from blood into muscles and other tissues)||1|
|Mood Swings (an extreme or rapid change in mood)||1|
|Numbness And Tingling (unusual prickling sensations)||1|
How effective are the drugs:
|not at all||somewhat||moderate||high||very high|
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Crohn's disease
- Enteritis infectious
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Heparin sodium injection
- Phenergan hcl
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
You can also:
- Check symptoms: is your symptom caused by a drug or a condition?
- Write a review: share your experience
- Ask a question: ask patients like you a question
- Subscribe the study: get notified of updates
- Post a comment: or see what other people said about the study
Complete drug side effects:
On eHealthMe, Meclizine (meclizine hydrochloride) is often used to treat dizziness. Promethazine (promethazine hydrochloride) is often used to treat nausea. Find out below the conditions the drugs are used for, how effective they are, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is the drug used for and how effective is it:
- Meclizine is used in:
- Promethazine is used in:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
- Meclizine alternatives:
- Promethazine alternatives:
Comments from related studies:
From this study (1 year ago):
From this study (2 years ago):
From this study (4 years ago):
I started having seizures about 9 months ago. Each time the seizures are more violent and last longer.
Do any of these drugs interact to cause defiancy? also which ones would most likely make someone hallucinate? Thank you.
I am on SS Disability since 2005 for acute back pain ,joint pain,migraines and depression. I have Fibromyligia and have suffered every day for 31 years. Pain began during my first pregancy in 1978.I have had many surgeries and shots for pain.Having more surgery starting tomorrow with another carpel tunnel surgery followed soon by two back surgies I have needed for many years without being able too afford. I am now on Medicade and medicare.
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
- By Marie: What withdrawal schedule did you use to stop using triavil? i currently take 2-25
I desperately want to stop this drug because I think it is make my nausea from the gastroparesis worse. Plus the side effects are terrible
- By Alecalejandro: I took one .5mg xanex over an hour ago. and nowi feel nausea. is it okay to take a 25mg promethazine
I get anxiety attacks at night that's why I took the xanex. and I get nausea at night also that's why I want to take the promethazine.
- By eeleach: Can chronic mastoiditis cause hallucinations?
My husband went to see the doc yesterday for ear pain and the doc put him on 2 diff meds and now he has hallucinations
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- By vtway: Fibromyalgia & related health issues
Fibromyalgia dx after pregnancy of only child at 42/other dx followed and seem to be in conjunction. heart issues did not appear until after the use of fibro meds- cymbalta, lyrica, neurontin, and more. had 1 seizure believed to be related to seretonin syndrome/years and years of mistreatment by doc ...
- By BDrudy: Husband died from depakene
My husband took Depakene and Mysoline (Phenobarital) for 28 years. No hospital or physician checked his ammonia levels during these years. Ammonia levels needed to be checked every 6 months when taking Valproic Acid. As the result of no ammonia levels taken, he suffered from moderate severe a ...
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Zanaflex, Antivert, Ativan, Phenergan, Effexor Xr, Effexor Xr, Lipitor, Vicodin, Maxalt-mlt, Topamax, Lyrica for a patient with Muscle Injury, Vertigo, Sleep Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition, Nausea, Mood Swings, Blood Cholesterol Abnormal, Anxiety Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition, Migraine, Seizure - Grand Mal.
- A study of drug interactions between Losartan, Meclizine Hydrochloride, Promethazine Hydrochloride Plain, Alprazolam for a patient with High Blood Cholesterol, Meniere's Disease, Anxiety. The patient has Dizziness
- A study of drug interactions between Minoxidil, Promethazine Hydrochloride Plain, Norco, Citalopram Hydrobromide, Tamsulosin Hydrochloride, Loratadine, Crestor, Spironolactone, Pantoprazole, Metformin Hydrochloride, Meclizine Hydrochloride, Plavix for a patient with Blood Pressure Management, Nausea And Vomiting, Pain, Depression, Bladder Disorder, Allergic Sinusitis, Plaque Buildup - Arteries, Diuretic Therapy, Acid Reflux, Blood Sugar Levels, Nausea, Blood Clots.
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients are also considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.