Review: Synthroid and Lipitor drug interactions
This review analyzes the interactions between Synthroid and Lipitor. It is created by eHealthMe based on 15,412 people who have drug interactions while taking the drugs. The review uses reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
What are the drugs
Synthroid (latest outcomes from 93,377 users) has active ingredients of levothyroxine sodium. It is often used in hypothyroidism.
Lipitor (latest outcomes from 132,452 users) has active ingredients of atorvastatin calcium. It is often used in high blood cholesterol.
On Mar, 7, 2014: 15,412 people who reported to have interactions when taking Synthroid, Lipitor are studied
Drug combinations in study:
- Synthroid (levothyroxine sodium)
- Lipitor (atorvastatin calcium)
Most common interactions experienced by people in the use of Synthroid, Lipitor:(click on each outcome to view in-depth analysis, incl. how people recovered)
|Interaction||Number of reports|
|Dyspnoea (difficult or laboured respiration)||2,389|
|Arthralgia (joint pain)||1,790|
|Myalgia (muscle pain)||1,691|
|Fatigue (feeling of tiredness)||1,554|
|Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit)||1,513|
Most common interactions experienced by people in long term use of Synthroid, Lipitor:(click on each outcome to view in-depth analysis, incl. how people recovered)
|Interaction||Number of reports|
|Myalgia (muscle pain)||196|
|Arthralgia (joint pain)||120|
|Muscular Weakness (muscle weakness)||115|
|Blood Cholesterol Increased||95|
|Fatigue (feeling of tiredness)||79|
|Pain In Extremity||56|
|Blood Creatine Phosphokinase Increased||39|
How effective are the drugs:
|not at all||somewhat||moderate||high||very high|
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Blood cholesterol increased
- Diabetes mellitus
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
You can also:
- Check symptoms: is your symptom caused by a drug or a condition?
- Write a review: share your experience
- Ask a question: ask patients like you a question
- Subscribe the study: get notified of updates
- Post a comment: or see what other people said about the study
Complete drug side effects:
On eHealthMe, Synthroid (levothyroxine sodium) is often used to treat hypothyroidism. Lipitor (atorvastatin calcium) is often used to treat high blood cholesterol. Find out below the conditions the drugs are used for, how effective they are, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is the drug used for and how effective is it:
- Synthroid is used in:
- Lipitor is used in:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
- Synthroid alternatives:
- Lipitor alternatives:
Comments from related studies:
From this study (3 weeks ago):
From this study (2 months ago):
From this study (2 months ago):
For the past few months I have been craving sweets and getting up at night to eat. It's like some filter of block has been removed and I eat whatever with no discretion or moderation. Doesn't happen every night. I know I am stressed due to family deaths and recently moving. I had previously lost 60 lbs & have gained 10 back
Was on a different high blood pressure meds some years ago and had a dry cough. My doctor changed my medication and that cough stopped but now over the past 1 and 1/2 years have started on cholesterol medication and depression medication. I have had a chest x-ray and a bronchoscopy 7 months ago and they both came back clear.
The clopidogrel, carvedilol, atorvastatin, asprin and ramipril were given as a drugs package after the stent was fitted.
The ramipril was too effective, causing very low blood pressure, so was replaced by amlodipine
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
- By fatima: To know whether drugs for hypothyroidism have side effects
hypertension range 130-140/90-95 for 2 mths. No previous history
- By Bonnie: How likely is it that celexa will increase blood pressure?
I have been taking Remeron 15 mg for a few months and recently added 5 mg Celexa. My systolic blood pressure went up immediately; it had been mostly in the high 120's and now is 140+. Is this a coincidence, or could the Celexa be causing it?
- By Nancy: How long before the a fib stops after stopping cymbalta?
Have been taking Cymbalta for 2 months for nerve pain and developed atrial fibrillation. I stopped taking the drug 4 days ago. Can I expect the atrial fibrillation to stop any time soon?
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- By Cookiepress: Lipitor bad reaction
I was on lipitor for 5 years started at 10mg and the headaches started. At 5 years on I was up to 80mg and had severe migraines every day. Was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism and given synthroid. Also had a prescription for migraine meds that did nothing. My daughter found out she and her kids ha ...
- By Edie: Having trouble swallowing food
it started like having heartburn the food would not go down. Progressively got worse so went a digestive doctor she ran all kinds of test (scope, went up my nose and down my throat had problems with that one,cat scan and berium test. Well they found a mass on my thyroid and had to remove have of it ...
- By Sick of being sick: Nausea with felodipine
I am incapacitated by nausea and headaches until mid afternoon. I take 5 mg felodipine each night about 11 pm. What can I do to manage it.
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Probiotics, Warfarin Sodium, Vitamin B12, Selenium, Zinc Sulfate, Biotin, Folate, Vitamin D, Calcium, Multivitamin, Emsam, Lamictal, Ativan, Buspar, Surmontil, Lipitor, Lunesta, Levothyroxine Sodium, Protonix, Prilosec Otc, Flovent Hfa, Singulair, Fexofenadine Hydrochloride for a patient with Colitis, Deep Vein Thrombosis, Vitamin B12 Deficiency, Hair Loss, Vitamin D Decreased, General Physical Condition, Chronic Depression, Anxiety, Depression, Hypercalcaemia, Insomnia, Hypothyroidism, Reflux Gastritis, Asthma, Allergies. The patient has Dizziness, Fatigue - Chronic (Chronic fatigue syndrome), Binge Eating
- A study of drug interactions between Felodipine, Citalopram Hydrobromide, Levothyroxine Sodium, Atorvastatin Calcium for a patient with High Blood Pressure, Depression, Thyroxine Decreased, High Blood Cholesterol. The patient has Tickle In Throat With Some Phlegm At Times
- A study of drug interactions between Amlodipine Besylate, Esomeprazole Sodium, Atorvastatin Calcium, Carvedilol, Clopidogrel, Levothyroxine Sodium for a patient with Drug Given After Stent Fitted To Rt Coron. Artery, Stomach Ulcers Due To Asprin Given After Stent Fitted, Thyroid Removed Due To Cancer.
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients are also considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.