Review: Ambien and Benadryl drug interactions
This review analyzes the interactions between Ambien and Benadryl. It is created by eHealthMe based on 2,166 people who have drug interactions while taking the drugs. The review uses reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
What are the drugs
Ambien (latest outcomes from 46,526 users) has active ingredients of zolpidem tartrate. It is often used in insomnia.
Benadryl (latest outcomes from 29,259 users) has active ingredients of diphenhydramine hydrochloride. It is often used in allergies.
On Feb, 28, 2014: 2,166 people who reported to have interactions when taking Ambien, Benadryl are studied
Drug combinations in study:
- Ambien (zolpidem tartrate)
- Benadryl (diphenhydramine hydrochloride)
Most common interactions experienced by people in the use of Ambien, Benadryl:(click on each outcome to view in-depth analysis, incl. how people recovered)
|Interaction||Number of reports|
|Dyspnoea (difficult or laboured respiration)||630|
|Arthralgia (joint pain)||494|
|Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit)||305|
|Fatigue (feeling of tiredness)||293|
|Anaemia (lack of blood)||249|
|Headache (pain in head)||247|
Most common interactions experienced by people in long term use of Ambien, Benadryl:(click on each outcome to view in-depth analysis, incl. how people recovered)
|Interaction||Number of reports|
|Somnambulism (sleep walking)||29|
|Amnesia (deficit in memory caused by brain damage, disease, or psychological trauma)||28|
|Impaired Driving Ability||11|
|Road Traffic Accident||11|
|Spinal X-ray Abnormal||7|
How effective are the drugs:
|not at all||somewhat||moderate||high||very high|
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Breast cancer metastatic
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Heparin sodium injection
- Diphenhydramine hcl
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
You can also:
- Check symptoms: is your symptom caused by a drug or a condition?
- Write a review: share your experience
- Ask a question: ask patients like you a question
- Subscribe the study: get notified of updates
- Post a comment: or see what other people said about the study
Complete drug side effects:
On eHealthMe, Ambien (zolpidem tartrate) is often used to treat insomnia. Benadryl (diphenhydramine hydrochloride) is often used to treat allergen. Find out below the conditions the drugs are used for, how effective they are, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is the drug used for and how effective is it:
- Ambien is used in:
- Benadryl is used in:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
- Ambien alternatives:
- Benadryl alternatives:
Comments from related studies:
From this study (6 months ago):
From this study (11 months ago):
Trying to determine best pharma options - I take Wellbutrin for depression but liked the increased e nervy, sex drive, and weight loss. Dr added 90mg cymbalta also. I have been having hot flashes
All adverse effects are tolerable and preferential to extreme pain and fatigue which can cause severe MS exacerbation.
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
- By Gmanana: What medications cause hair loss
Been experiencing hair loss for several months and the loss has increased the last couple of months. My doctor ran thyroid test and it was normal. The loss has been gradual and it is not breaking off, but coming out at the root.
- By letmein: Are any of you having problems with your legs and knees freezing and other symptoms of nerve damage?
The only way my knees and legs get warm is when i stretch out in bed to go to sleep. Putting a heater in front of them does no good at all. alcohol works for a little while but then the freezing starts all over.
- By Bob: Are there any reports of extreme dry mouth?
Since having an aortic valve replacement via TAVR (newer technique)I have had various medications added to my schedule. For the last several months I seem to have a very dry mouth problem. I have given you a few that I am taking at the present time that I thought might have some effect on my dryne ...
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- By Boo Radly: Rocephin and levaquin drug interactions
I went to ER of local hospital because I was feeling puny, low energy for a while. I was on no meds, physical active all my life, yoga practiser, no crippling. I am late deafened, can speak clearly. This is a true case of attempted murder. I refused to admit myself after waiting 8 hours - I was refu ...
- By Syl: I felt to be near death. no doctors could give me answers. i did my own research only to discover the truth about sleep aidsm
May of 2013 hospitalized. November 2013 hospitalized. Both times white blood count decreased dramatically. Constant fevers from 102.0-104.3 was given antibiotics, fed through my veins due to my inability to swallow and lack of appetite. These two events were the worst time of my life, very painful. ...
- By Belinda: Ambien causes carpal tunnel
I am a lupus patient who has come to find that I am highly sensitive to all medicines. I get immediate reactions from food and pharmaceutics. I would imagine this to be the case if I tried mariguana to alleviate symptoms. I don't think I am in the right state to try this anyway, though I have often ...
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Benadryl, Desogestrel; Ethinylestradiol; Ethinyl Estradiol, Ambien, Bentyl, Zantac 150, Wellbutrin Xl, Cymbalta for a patient with Allergies, Pregnancy, Insomnia, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Heartburn, Depression, Pelvic Pain. The patient has Hot Flushes Nos (Hot Flush), Abnormal Weight Gain, Teeth Grinding And Clenching (Bruxism)
- A study of drug interactions between Lyrica, Zolpidem Tartrate, Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride, Buspirone Hydrochloride for a patient with Anxiety, Insomnia Related To Another Mental Condition, Sedation. The patient has Overly Sedated, Delusional Depression (Major depression with psychotic features)
- A study of drug interactions between Celebrex, Tramadol Hydrochloride, Zolpidem Tartrate, Lyrica, Cymbalta, Acyclovir, Topiramate, Melatonin, Benadryl, Percocet, Multivitamin, Calcium, Ibuprofen, Vitamin E for a patient with Arthritis, Pain Management, Sleep Disorder Therapy, Rls, Depression, Herpes - Genital, Migraine, Allergic Sinusitis, Health, Osteoarthritis, Inflammation. The patient has Topiramate
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients are also considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.