Review: Celexa and Lamictal Xr
This review analyzes the effectiveness and drug interactions between Celexa and Lamictal Xr. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 1,608 people who take the same drugs from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Celexa and Lamictal Xr >>>
What are the drugs
Celexa (latest outcomes from 30,690 users) has active ingredients of citalopram hydrobromide. It is often used in depression.
Lamictal xr (latest outcomes from 412 users) has active ingredients of lamotrigine. It is often used in epilepsy.
On Nov, 14, 2014: 1,608 people who take Celexa, Lamictal Xr are studied
Drug combinations in study:
- Celexa (citalopram hydrobromide)
- Lamictal Xr (lamotrigine)
Drug effectiveness over time :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years||not specified|
|Celexa is effective||22.22%|
(2 of 9 people)
(5 of 22 people)
(6 of 27 people)
(5 of 28 people)
(28 of 63 people)
(11 of 27 people)
(3 of 11 people)
(2 of 5 people)
|Lamictal Xr is effective||11.11%|
(1 of 9 people)
(10 of 29 people)
(8 of 25 people)
(12 of 35 people)
(34 of 60 people)
(21 of 26 people)
(12 of 14 people)
(3 of 3 people)
Most common drug interactions over time * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years||not specified|
|Vomiting||Asthenia||Weight Decreased||Encephalitis||Diabetes Mellitus||Pancytopenia||Condition Aggravated||Rash|
|Drug Rash With Eosinophilia And Systemic Symptoms||Facial Paresis||Tachycardia||Thyroiditis||Restlessness||Drug Ineffective||Psychotic Disorder||Dizziness|
|Somnolence||Myopathy||General Physical Health Deterioration||Drug Toxicity||Weight Decreased||Intentional Overdose||Muscle Aches||Vomiting|
|Platelet Count Decreased||Blood Creatine Phosphokinase Increased||Hypotension||Sinus Tachycardia||Short-term Memory Loss||Memory Impairment||Hypertrichosis||Tremor|
|Haemoglobin Decreased||Stevens-johnson Syndrome||Cachexia||Urticaria||Dry Mouth||Nausea||Constipation||Pyrexia|
|Rash Generalised||Headache||Hallucination, Auditory||Tenderness||Weight Gain||Vomiting||Grand Mal Seizure||Headache|
|Rash||Pyrexia||Social Avoidant Behaviour||Deformity||Anxiety||General Physical Health Deterioration||Sinus Headache||Nausea|
|Rash Erythematous||Fall||Mental Impairment||Stress||Dizziness||Mental Disorder||Acanthosis Nigricans||Fall|
|Neutropenic Sepsis||Fatigue||Antipsychotic Drug Level Increased||Condition Aggravated||Tardive Dyskinesia||Myalgia||Dry Mouth||Depression|
Drug effectiveness by gender :
|Celexa is effective||30.61%|
(45 of 147 people)
(17 of 45 people)
|Lamictal Xr is effective||50.66%|
(77 of 152 people)
(24 of 48 people)
Most common drug interactions by gender * :
Drug effectiveness by age :
|Celexa is effective||n/a||n/a||21.74%|
(5 of 23 people)
(7 of 52 people)
(17 of 86 people)
(17 of 66 people)
(10 of 44 people)
(6 of 27 people)
|Lamictal Xr is effective||n/a||n/a||36.00%|
(9 of 25 people)
(13 of 56 people)
(34 of 89 people)
(22 of 71 people)
(15 of 43 people)
(8 of 34 people)
Most common drug interactions by age * :
|Pancreatitis||Rash Generalised||Completed Suicide||Tremor||Rash||Somnolence||Rash||Fall|
|Diabetes Mellitus||Prescribed Overdose||Pyrexia||Agitation||Drug Toxicity||Vomiting||Completed Suicide||Convulsion|
|Breast Cancer||Stevens Johnson Syndrome||Non-accidental Overdose||Vomiting||Headache||Suicide Attempt||Confusional State||Dyspnoea|
|Blood Triglycerides Increased||Rash Papular||Lymphadenopathy||Dizziness||Cardiac Arrest||Activated Partial Thromboplastin Time Prolonged||Depression||Dizziness|
|Ecchymosis||Convulsion||Electrocardiogram Qt Prolonged||Malaise||Nausea||Fall||Anxiety|
|Convulsion||Stevens-johnson Syndrome||Depressed Level Of Consciousness||Hypotension||Drug Rash With Eosinophilia And Systemic Symptoms||Anxiety||Haemoglobin Decreased|
|Disinhibition||Weight Increased||Electrocardiogram Qrs Complex Prolonged||Encephalitis||Headache||Hyperammonaemia||Pyrexia|
|Abnormal Behaviour||Escherichia Infection||Metabolic Acidosis||Dizziness||Diabetes Mellitus||Diabetes Mellitus||Somnolence|
|Suicidal Ideation||Multiple Drug Overdose Intentional||General Physical Health Deterioration||Completed Suicide||Somnolence||Rash Erythematous|
|Nephrotic Syndrome||Nystagmus||Vomiting||Overdose||Cardiac Arrest||Platelet Count Decreased|
* Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you take Celexa and Lamictal Xr?
- Personalize this study to your gender and age
- Write a review: share your experience of taking Celexa and Lamictal Xr
- Ask a question: ask patients like you a question
- Subscribe the study: get notified of updates
- Post a comment: or see what other people said about the study
You are not alone! Join a related mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Celexa and Lamictal Xr
- support group for people who take Celexa
- support group for people who take Lamictal Xr
Comments from related studies:
From this study (2 months ago):
From this study (2 months ago):
I have been taking lyrica for 2 weeks and I've had manic and depression my question is can lyrica enhance my symptoms of bipolar
zeeBop52 on Sep, 11, 2014:
The problems you speak of are SO typical of Lyrica I
had to read you post twice. I would get with your main provider A.S.A.P ! TOO often these days meds. are released with loads of study but not over a long enough period. I work in the Horticulture World
and the EXACT same thing happens. They breed a great new plant but never wait long enough for secondary problems such as disease or insect problems. Lyrica being a controlled substance needs your attention right away. I have chronic pain problems, anxiety, and slight depression. I am a 52 yr. old male in a dry climate. Please help yourself-put the Doc' to the test or get another one. You will be so glad you did.
Kevin Peters Ph.d on Mar, 4, 2013:
Sammy, I'm a white 45 male; just wanted to agree on that Klonopin remark. When I was 21 I had my second kidney transplant which was a BAD issue all together, at any rate the hospital did not include my medications taken at home after my surgery. I went thru the worst hallucinations and jerking and seizures you could ever possibly imagine. This went on for almost 3 1/2 weeks before we decided to have me taken OUT of the hospital and relocated before they ended up taking my life. Then the whole staff of paychology including the chief of psychiatry cane in my room to see what they could do, Finallu. During one of my few moments of clarity the C.O.F after blaming me if talking "drugs" prior to my transplant listened to my word of telling him the meds I was on before being admitted. After asking when was the last time I had received my Klonopin and me not knowing, he then reviewed the charts, and didn't see me receiving this med once. He stormed out of the room of about 9 docs and came back in with two Klonopin; for the first time in almost 4 weeks and after three surgeries the first 72 hours I was hospitalized, I was sleeping like a baby, for about 49 hours with NO MORE hallucinations, or seizures or jerking! I finally got out of there without a kidney since that kidney was supposed to go to another man named the same as I in a different city! I do take Xanax and probably always will. The half life on Klonopin is much different hence one if its dangers, Nevwr Ever stop this drug cold! I've been on dialysis 25 1/2 years now and suffered from intense skin cancers, but have fought and done all I can do to live a normal as possible life, working full time except when I'm in yet another surgery, over 32 general anesthetic procedures since 1987. I was the youngest boy-man to ever be on the USA soccer team ready to play in the Korea 1988 Olympics. What a change in life.....
All the Best,
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Can lamictal cause false positive pcp drug screen
I had a rapid urine drug screen for new employment and it shows positive for PCP. I have never taken or even seen PCP. I am so embarrassed and mortified. Needless to say my urine has been sent to a lab to see if it can rule out false positive results. I called my neurologist and my Pharmacist an ...
- Can ciliapram cause emphysemia
CAN IT CAUSE EMPHASEMIA
- What could be causing eye pain and headacne and bright glaring light on the right side only?
Senitive to light, can't spend long on computer or cell phone. Diagnosed with anklylosing spondylosis
- Effects taking lamictal abilify and pristiq
Although I take these three drugs I am still experiencing symptoms of lethargy, lack of appetite Are these symptoms perhaps side effects of these grubs?
- I'm on 1 1/12 mg of suboxone. would i have to go off of it if i need major surgery?
I was taking about 5 to 15 mg of Percocet a day and wanted to get off them. If I don't take suboxone at night I get EXTREME discomfort down my left leg & can not sleep due to pressure on my lower back (that's why I had to take Percocet). I have tried NUMEROUS meds over the past 20 yrs & nothing work ...
- Memory loss& confusion
I can not remember the majority or most of my past.I am very,very confused about things or stuff that I used to know everything about
- Lamicta side effect nausa and vomiting after years of takin it for bi-polar
I been taking Lamictal for a couple of years. With no side effects. Presently I starter having nausea, and dry heaves , I went to the specialist they run test for stomach hernia, etc etc. they did not find any thing wrong. Today I noatice I experience nausea after taking Lamictal I experience ...
- Does anybody know if lamictal xr increases ck levels?
I was only taking Notryptiline 50 mg a day, 400 mg (200mg x 2 a day) of Lamectal XR, and my CK levels keep on going up. Which one of these medications is raising my CK levels? Does anybody know? Please help. In March of 2014, I was hospitalized due to 5000 CK levels. I was released with CK ...
- I am a 45 year old female who from missuri. i have suffered from a severe anxiety disorder since i was 25. i was misdiagnoowith bipolar disorder. it has creat
A traumatic event occured when I was 19 and brought me the point of seeking "professional" psychiatric help only to suffer a misdiagnosis for 20 years. I turned to self medication until recently. Now my anxiety has left me with a hyper sensitive histamine production, 24/7 fight or flight mode, insom ...
- Can lamictal odt cause severe pulmonary hypertension
started new dose of Lamictal starter pack. Since starting noticed decrease in pulmonary function. Now it is severe, Seems to correlate with the starter pack increasing dosage
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Lamictal and eyes being gooey.
While taking this medication, I experienced eye goo, sometimes stringing across my eye. Occasionally it would dry overnight and becoming crusty. I took this medication for over a year and the doctor kept prescribing me medication for conjunctivitis. When I finally stopped taking this medication, ...
- Lamotrigine and indigestion
I started taking Lamotrigine about a month or two ago. I think it has alleviated my depression somewhat but it has also been causing me pretty severe gastric and intestinal problems. I wake up every morning with indigestion/ and pressure in my stomach, I also have constipation I have gone several da ...
- Long-term use of risperidone and antidepressants
I have been using Risperdal and antidepressants for 14 years for bipolar disorder. Last month I was diagnosed with adrenal insufficiency and progesterone deficiency. My cholesterol suddenly became high, I was tired all the time and more symptoms relating to my eventual diagnosis of adrenal insuffic ...
- Severe night sweats and hot flashes with cymbalta?
I am 24 years old and I have been having severe night sweats for about the last 2 and a half years. I have been on Cymbalta for about 4 and a half years. These night sweats are so severe that I typically wake up 2-4 times a night drenched in sweat where I have to change the sheets, get a new blanket ...
- Chills associated with ibuprophen
I generally respond well to medication. I am a senior who has chronic pain from a c1-c2 fusion. Codeine works well, and I don't use a lot. Still, I sought alternatives to opiates for nerve pain. I lice in a colder climate. It took me quite a while to associate susceptibility to becoming chilled w ...
- Prednisone mixed results-it lets me breath
have been on prednisone now for 3 years straight. Am taking 30mg a day just to breath. every time i have tried to taper off i have ended up in the emergency room unable to breath. That has been 7 times in the last year. I am 49 years old and was in good health 3-4 years ago. got a cough and it has b ...
- Hit and miss sleep with dextroamphetamine
Started drug 2 months ago and have seen an improvement in my focus. Ziprosidone for my depression causes me to get dead tired by 7 pm. Once I started taking Dextroamphetamine I started having insomnia 2 times a week. I think I would rather sleep early than stay up all night and then try and stay a ...
- Seizure disorder med problems
Velafaxine 150 mg. 1 per day. In process of switching from Topiramate 50 mg. 1 pill in morning & one at night (going off of this because of kidney stones) Was on this medication approximately 10 years. Lamotrigine 2 25mg pills in morning and 2 - 25 mg. pills at night. On the 3rd day of ...
- Eczema and birth control-microgestin
I started getting eczema over the last year and recently decided it may be from the birth control as well, which I started taking @ 2 months before I got the eczema and skin started breaking out...weight gain, etc. I am on singulair, westcort cream, moisture/kenalog, exederm cream, cerevue wash, cet ...
- Latuda stoped hypoglcymia
I have hypoglycemia and have had to be carefull of my sugar intake. Started taking Latuda and now i can eat sugar like most people do
Complete drug side effects:
On eHealthMe, Celexa (citalopram hydrobromide) is often used to treat depression. Lamictal Xr (lamotrigine) is often used to treat epilepsy. Find out below the conditions the drugs are used for, how effective they are, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is the drug used for and how effective is it:
- Celexa is used in:
- Lamictal xr is used in:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
- Celexa alternatives:
- Lamictal xr alternatives:
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Adderall Xr 20, Celexa, Lamictal, Lyrica, Armour Thyroid, Ambien, Seroquel Xr for a patient with ADD, Anxiety Disorder, Mood Stabilizer, Fibromyalgia, Hypothyroidism, Insomnia. The patient has Swallowing Difficulty
- A study of drug interactions between Lamotrigine, Gabapentin, Oxcarbazepine, Citalopram Hydrobromide for a patient with Seizure - Grand Mal, Chronic Depression. The patient has Grand Mal Seizure
- A study of drug interactions between Nuvigil, Celexa, Levothyroxine Sodium, Lamictal for a patient with Narcolepsy, Depression, Hypothyroidism, Bipolar 2. The patient has Swelling Of The Ankles - Feet - Legs
- A study of drug interactions between Citalopram Hydrobromide, Lamotrigine for a patient with Bipolar Ii Disorder. The patient has Urticaria
- A study of drug interactions between Iron Dextran, Omega 3, Ambien, Albuterol, Fluticasone Propionate, Loratadine, Ranitidine, Omeprazole, Celexa, Lamotrigine, Atenolol, Ativan for a patient with Anemia, Joint Stiffness, Insomnia, Asthma, Allergic Rhinitis, Gerd, Chronic Depression, Bipolar Ii Disorder, Heart Rate Increased, Anxiety Disorder. The patient has Forgetfulness
- A study of drug interactions between Metformin, Xanax, Celexa, Crestor, Lamictal, Adderall 30, Cardizem, Lisinopril, Toprol-xl, Nexium for a patient with High Blood Sugar, Anxiety Disorder, Depression, Blood Cholesterol Abnormal, Bipolar Ii Disorder, Attention Deficit Disorder With Hyperactivity, Blood Pressure Increased, Blood Pressure, Gerd. The patient has Low Blood Sugar, Can't Urinate, Restlessness, Bipolar Ii Disorder, Depression Aggravated
- A study of drug interactions between Lamictal, Citalopram Hydrobromide, Lithium Carbonate for a patient with Bipolar 2, Depression.
- A study of drug interactions between Lyrica, Lamictal, Adderall 20, Celexa, Risperdal for a patient with Migraine, Bipolar Disorder, Adhd, Depression, Mania. The patient has Bipolar
- A study of drug interactions between Celexa, Wellbutrin Sr, Lamictal for a patient with Stress And Anxiety, Major Depression, Bipolar Disorder. The patient has Heat Intolerance
- A study of drug interactions between Wellbutrin Xl, Lamotrigine, Strattera, Celexa for a patient with Depression - Chronic, Mood Swings, Adhd, Depression.
Recent related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Lamotrigine, Prednisone for a 43-year old man who has Shortness Of Breath
- Comparions of Pravastatin Sodium, Lisinopril, Lamotrigine, Celebrex for a 81-year old man who has Pain In Limb
- Comparions of Viibryd, Celexa for a 36-year old woman who has Depression
- Comparions of Fetzima, Celexa for a 49-year old woman who has Depression
- Comparions of Effexor, Lamictal for a 37-year old man who has Depression
- Comparions of Simvastatin, Amphetamine Salt Combo, Escitalopram, Lamotrigine, Depakote for a 61-year old man who has Bipolar Ii Disorder
- Comparions of Zoloft, Cymbalta, Lamictal for a 32-year old woman who has Bipolar
- Comparions of Wellbutrin, Lexapro, Celexa, Zoloft for a 25-year old woman who has Depression
- Comparions of Prozac, Celexa, Lexapro for a 52-year old man who has Depression
- Comparions of Bupropion Hydrochloride, Citalopram Hydrobromide for a 48-year old woman who has Depression
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients are also considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.