Review: Elavil and Savella drug interactions
This review analyzes the interactions between Elavil and Savella. It is created by eHealthMe based on 108 people who have drug interactions while taking the drugs. The review uses reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
What are the drugs
Elavil (latest outcomes from 11,844 users) has active ingredients of amitriptyline hydrochloride. It is often used in depression.
Savella (latest outcomes from 3,359 users) has active ingredients of milnacipran hydrochloride. It is often used in fibromyalgia.
On Mar, 2, 2014: 108 people who reported to have interactions when taking Elavil, Savella are studied
Drug combinations in study:
- Elavil (amitriptyline hydrochloride)
- Savella (milnacipran hydrochloride)
Most common interactions experienced by people in the use of Elavil, Savella:(click on each outcome to view in-depth analysis, incl. how people recovered)
|Interaction||Number of reports|
|Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit)||34|
|Somnolence (a state of near-sleep, a strong desire for sleep)||30|
|Tremor (trembling or shaking movements in one or more parts of your body)||17|
|Malaise (a feeling of general discomfort or uneasiness)||15|
|Injection Site Pain||14|
|Headache (pain in head)||13|
Most common interactions experienced by people in long term use of Elavil, Savella:(click on each outcome to view in-depth analysis, incl. how people recovered)
|Interaction||Number of reports|
|Myofascial Pain Syndrome (a painful condition that affects the muscles and the sheath of the tissue)||3|
|Teeth Grinding (habitual grinding of the teeth, typically during sleep)||3|
|Gerd (gastro-oesophageal reflux disease)||2|
|Eagles Syndrome (recurrent pain in the oropharynx and face)||1|
|Facet Joint Syndrome (problem with movement of the facet joints of the spine)||1|
|Urinary Tract Infection||1|
|Painful Red Eyes||1|
How effective are the drugs:
|not at all||somewhat||moderate||high||very high|
Top conditions involved for these people * :
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Amitriptyline hcl
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
You can also:
- Check symptoms: is your symptom caused by a drug or a condition?
- Write a review: share your experience
- Ask a question: ask patients like you a question
- Subscribe the study: get notified of updates
- Post a comment: or see what other people said about the study
Complete drug side effects:
On eHealthMe, Elavil (amitriptyline hydrochloride) is often used to treat depression. Savella (milnacipran hydrochloride) is often used to treat fibromyalgia. Find out below the conditions the drugs are used for, how effective they are, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is the drug used for and how effective is it:
- Elavil is used in:
- Savella is used in:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
- Elavil alternatives:
- Savella alternatives:
Comments from related studies:
From this study (13 months ago):
From this study (2 years ago):
Medications improved fibromyalgia for about 1.5 years until side effects began to outweigh benefits. Tremor & myoclonic jerking seemed linked to build up of SINGULAIR, Cymbalta, SAVELLA, Elavil & Lyrica. Tremor, jerking and mood problems lessened when SINGULAIR was discontinued. Cognition improved slightly when Elavil was discontinued. Urinary retention lessened when Cymbalta dose was lowered to 40mg.
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
- Do you see any relationship between insomnia and dehydration?
I cannot fall asleep. Sometimes it takes several hours (4-5). I have been taking Amitriptyline 10 mg for almost a year which helped tremendously and lately has not helped at all.
- Can curcumin c3 complex cause very dry mouth?
I have been takingall the above drugs since being diagnosed with Sarcoidosis in 1998-99. The only variation is prednisone which I take only when I have a flare. Itook my first Curcumin C3 Complex capsule 3 days ago. 500mg. I decided to start with one a day for awhile. After a few hours I had the dry ...
- What side effect did you get while using adipex and amilitriptyline
I just want to know what side effects these two drugs will have with each other since I will be taking both of the. I am only taking one for now.
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- Off label use of drugs for peripheral neuropathy causing memory loss
I have peripheral neuropathy with standard symptoms of burning, tingling, stabbing pain on the tops of my feet. I have had this condition for over 15 years getting worse over time. The last 5 years I have seen a couple of doctors and through trial and error we settled on a combination of Savella and ...
- Savella & synthroid hell!
Within 15 minutes of taking Savella, the heat starts in my face and the sweating begins unrelentlessly. And the palpitations begin right away and later will be strong enough to wake me from sleep. Its horrible! I cant go anywhere! I cant tolerate any additional heat anywhere! And if I go out, I m ...
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Gabapentin, Amitriptyline Hydrochloride, Meloxicam, Excedrin, Savella, Butrans for a patient with Fibromyalgia, Aches And Pains In Bones, Pain Management.
- A study of drug interactions between Lyrica, Cymbalta, SAVELLA, Elavil, Lunesta, Klonopin, Singulair, Synthroid, Vagifem for a patient with Fibromyalgia, Insomnia, Sleep Disorder Due To General Medical Condition, Insomnia Type, Pain Management, Allergy Prophylaxis, Hypothyroidism, Menopausal Symptoms. The patient has Cognitive Deterioration, Tremor, Myoclonic Jerks, Migraine, Anxiety Aggravated (Stress and anxiety), Confusion, Memory Impairment (Memory loss), Tension Headaches (Tension headache), Urinary Retention, Muscle Spasms, Sweating Increased, Tearfulness, Depression Aggravated, Mood Altered (Mood swings), Vision Blurred, Nausea, Loss Of Weight (Weight loss - unintentional), Abnormal Words Or Word Usage Nos, Dry Eyes Aggravated, Teeth Clinching (Bruxism), Teeth Grinding (Bruxism), Discolored Teeth (Tooth - abnormal colors), Job Change, Eagles Syndrome, Urinary Tract Infection, Painful Red Eyes
- A study of drug interactions between Savella, Flexeril, Aleve, Amitriptyline Hydrochloride for a patient with Fibromyalgia, Foot Spasms, Headache, Gout - Chronic.
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients are also considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.