Review: Elavil and Valium drug interactions
This review analyzes the interactions between Elavil and Valium. It is created by eHealthMe based on 2,656 people who have drug interactions while taking the drugs. The review uses reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
What are the drugs
Elavil (latest outcomes from 11,844 users) has active ingredients of amitriptyline hydrochloride. It is often used in depression.
Valium (latest outcomes from 21,743 users) has active ingredients of diazepam. It is often used in stress and anxiety.
On Feb, 28, 2014: 2,656 people who reported to have interactions when taking Elavil, Valium are studied
Drug combinations in study:
- Elavil (amitriptyline hydrochloride)
- Valium (diazepam)
Most common interactions experienced by people in the use of Elavil, Valium:(click on each outcome to view in-depth analysis, incl. how people recovered)
|Interaction||Number of reports|
|Headache (pain in head)||304|
|Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit)||273|
Most common interactions experienced by people in long term use of Elavil, Valium:(click on each outcome to view in-depth analysis, incl. how people recovered)
|Interaction||Number of reports|
|Cerebrovascular Accident (sudden death of some brain cells due to lack of oxygen when the blood flow to the brain is impaired by blockage or rupture)||16|
|Arthralgia (joint pain)||15|
|Amnesia (deficit in memory caused by brain damage, disease, or psychological trauma)||14|
|Dyspnoea (difficult or laboured respiration)||14|
|Anaemia (lack of blood)||10|
|Disturbance In Attention||8|
|Hypoaesthesia Facial (reduced sense of touch or sensation on face)||7|
How effective are the drugs:
|not at all||somewhat||moderate||high||very high|
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Sleep disorder
- Muscle spasms
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Amitriptyline hcl
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
You can also:
- Check symptoms: is your symptom caused by a drug or a condition?
- Write a review: share your experience
- Ask a question: ask patients like you a question
- Subscribe the study: get notified of updates
- Post a comment: or see what other people said about the study
Complete drug side effects:
On eHealthMe, Elavil (amitriptyline hydrochloride) is often used to treat depression. Valium (diazepam) is often used to treat stress and anxiety. Find out below the conditions the drugs are used for, how effective they are, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is the drug used for and how effective is it:
- Elavil is used in:
- Valium is used in:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
- Elavil alternatives:
- Valium alternatives:
Comments from related studies:
From this study (11 months ago):
From this study (12 months ago):
From this study (1 year ago):
took more Valium than I was prescribed and after ~ 2-3 weeks, started skin inflammation with small bumps ankles. back of legs, torso, back.
was looking for a mood stabilizer that has no weight gain Need very badly to get my mood stabilized...
have cerebal palsy and have had bilateral lower limb amputation
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
- By Badrenon: Do you see any relationship between insomnia and dehydration?
I cannot fall asleep. Sometimes it takes several hours (4-5). I have been taking Amitriptyline 10 mg for almost a year which helped tremendously and lately has not helped at all.
- By BarbaraKay: Can curcumin c3 complex cause very dry mouth?
I have been takingall the above drugs since being diagnosed with Sarcoidosis in 1998-99. The only variation is prednisone which I take only when I have a flare. Itook my first Curcumin C3 Complex capsule 3 days ago. 500mg. I decided to start with one a day for awhile. After a few hours I had the dry ...
- By Curious: Chronic diazepam use and retrograde memory loss
I'm distressed. I started noticing severe problems recalling memories from a long time before I started taking benzodiazepines. Before I started benzodiazepines, my memory was great. Has anyone experienced this adverse effect?
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- By Boo Radly: Rocephin and levaquin drug interactions
I went to ER of local hospital because I was feeling puny, low energy for a while. I was on no meds, physical active all my life, yoga practiser, no crippling. I am late deafened, can speak clearly. This is a true case of attempted murder. I refused to admit myself after waiting 8 hours - I was refu ...
- By Sally: Suboxone withdrawal how dangerous to go cold turkey?
Last night I was woken unable to breath, I could not get a breath through, I was terrified, it took several seconds for me to be able to breath, but I continued to vomit for about 30 minutes, then I slept with my head high with pillows in case it happened again.
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Cinnamomum Cassia, Chromium Picolinate, Garcinia Cambogia, Apple Cider Vinegar, Raspberry Ketone, Green Coffee Bean, Phentermine, Diazepam, Oxycodone, Amitriptyline Hydrochloride, Wellbutrin Xl, Atenolol, Hydrochlorothiazide for a patient with Obesity, Muscle Spasms, Pelvic Fracture, Migraine Prevention, Depression, Hypertension. The patient has Lymphedema (Lymphatic obstruction), Poor Peripheral Circulation, Fatigue, Buffalo Hump (Hump behind the shoulders), Abdominal Obesity, Red Face (Skin blushing/flushing), Swelling Of The Ankles - Feet - Legs (Foot, leg, and ankle swelling), Joint Swelling, Early Morning Joint Stiffness, Difficulty In Walking, Migraine, Tension Headaches (Tension headache), Frequent Headaches (Headache), Spondylosis, Arthritis, Degenerative Joint Disease (Osteoarthritis), Cervical Spinal Stenosis, Back Pain - Low, Edema (Swelling), Joint Pain, Pelvic Fracture - Upper & Lower- Stable
- A study of drug interactions between Valium, Lorazepam, Ambien, Amitriptyline Hydrochloride for a patient with Stress And Anxiety, Sleep Disorder Therapy. The patient has Skin Inflammation
- A study of drug interactions between Adderall 20, Valium, Pristiq, Elavil for a patient with ADHD, Anxiety Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, Sleep Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition.
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients are also considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.