Review: Gabapentin and Benadryl drug interactions
This review analyzes the interactions between Gabapentin and Benadryl. It is created by eHealthMe based on 1,815 people who have drug interactions while taking the drugs. The review uses reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
What are the drugs
Gabapentin (latest outcomes from 39,091 users) has active ingredients of gabapentin. It is often used in neuralgia.
Benadryl (latest outcomes from 29,259 users) has active ingredients of diphenhydramine hydrochloride. It is often used in allergies.
On Feb, 28, 2014: 1,815 people who reported to have interactions when taking Gabapentin, Benadryl are studied
Drug combinations in study:
- Gabapentin (gabapentin)
- Benadryl (diphenhydramine hydrochloride)
Most common interactions experienced by people in the use of Gabapentin, Benadryl:(click on each outcome to view in-depth analysis, incl. how people recovered)
|Interaction||Number of reports|
|Arthralgia (joint pain)||586|
|Dyspnoea (difficult or laboured respiration)||566|
|Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit)||308|
|Pain In Extremity||290|
|Anaemia (lack of blood)||272|
|Fatigue (feeling of tiredness)||262|
Most common interactions experienced by people in long term use of Gabapentin, Benadryl:(click on each outcome to view in-depth analysis, incl. how people recovered)
|Interaction||Number of reports|
|Pain In Extremity||4|
|Hepatic Failure (liver failure)||4|
|Convulsion (muscles contract and relax rapidly and repeatedly, resulting in an uncontrolled shaking of the body)||4|
How effective are the drugs:
|not at all||somewhat||moderate||high||very high|
Top conditions involved for these people * :
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Heparin sodium injection
- Diphenhydramine hcl
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
You can also:
- Check symptoms: is your symptom caused by a drug or a condition?
- Write a review: share your experience
- Ask a question: ask patients like you a question
- Subscribe the study: get notified of updates
- Post a comment: or see what other people said about the study
Complete drug side effects:
On eHealthMe, Gabapentin (gabapentin) is often used to treat pain. Benadryl (diphenhydramine hydrochloride) is often used to treat allergies. Find out below the conditions the drugs are used for, how effective they are, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is the drug used for and how effective is it:
- Gabapentin is used in:
- Benadryl is used in:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
- Gabapentin alternatives:
- Benadryl alternatives:
Comments from related studies:
From this study (4 months ago):
From this study (6 months ago):
From this study (4 years ago):
I've lost 70 lbs in two years, 40 lbs. in the past year. I am having significant atrophy in my legs, specifically my right leg. As a 52 year old man, I cannot walk normally nor can I walk up stairs.
To ER with new onset pressure/tightness in throat/neck up to my ears. Have a paraesophageal hiatal hernia. Cardiac work up negative. New bradycardia, low of mid 50's) with this episode. Normal HR is 80's +/- 10.
Methadone makes me feel like crap, I'm quitting it tomorrow. Feels like too much opiates. SO much itching. Dilaudid works but doesn't last long and takes too many pills, makes me feel like a junkie. Neurontin does nothing, I want to try something else. Temazepam scares me with the methadone due to risk of respiratory depression. It all just scares me :(
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
- By Gmanana: What medications cause hair loss
Been experiencing hair loss for several months and the loss has increased the last couple of months. My doctor ran thyroid test and it was normal. The loss has been gradual and it is not breaking off, but coming out at the root.
- By deatheater: How many mg can cause a coma with this?
I have a cocktail of disorders. Bad news here...i've lived in a world of hell for over 9 years because of my conditions. I just want to get better.
- By wilmcell: Has anyone else acquired ecthyma as they were getting over henoch schonlein purpura?
My 11 year old daughter came down with Henoch Schonlein Purpura in September of 2013, following a sore throat. We thought maybe the throat is what caused the purpura, but she also had a black type of wound on her knee that could have very well been a spider bite, so we are not sure which of the two ...
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- By the return: Osteomyelitis the battle to neutralize a punishing disease
Collar bones feet and skull 47 times in hyperbaric chamber and two years oxygen cured it disease returned after cutting toe with axe during hurricane like locked horns with disease no winner yet have not found drug to neutralize the superbug its very punishing taking 100 herbal pills daily plus clon ...
- By Frank: Addison's disease and gabapintin
a 100 mg gabapentin capsule has left me totally spaced out with blurred vision and disorientation for 3 days now. Never again do I want to go near one of those capsules. Dr. prescribed 100 mg. druggist filled 300 mg. I am sure thankful I doubled checked and got 100 mg instead. The 300 mg would h ...
- By Isabel: Cardiac stress test (thalamine ) and oxycodone
I am writing this for my sister-in-law, Maria, who is not able to do so and for whom my husband, her brother, and I are the POAs. In May of 2012, Maria had a recurring pain in her leg which took her to the hospital again. She was diagnosed for a second time as having a strained muscle. Then the hosp ...
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Terbinafine Hydrochloride, Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride, Klonopin, Androgel, Lantus Solostar, Metformin, Viibryd, Effexor XR, Doxazosin Mesylate, Lipitor, Gabapentin for a patient with Nail Fungus, Sleep Assistor, Anxiety, Low Testerone, Diabetes Mellitus Insulin-dependent, Depression, Prostate Problems, High Cholesterol, Neuropathy. The patient has Muscle Atrophy
- A study of drug interactions between Gabapentin, Tylenol, Benadryl, Progesterone, Natural Estrogenic Substance-estrone, Quinine Sulfate, Calcium Carbonate, Famotidine And Magnesium Hydroxide, Prilosec, Candesartan Cilexetil for a patient with Neuropathy Peripheral, Sleep - Natural Short Sleeper, Menopausal Symptoms Prophylaxis, Recurrent Leg Pain And Cramping, Gerd, Htn. The patient has Lightheadedness (Dizziness), Palpitations (Heart palpitations), Neck Tightness
- A study of drug interactions between Benadryl, Dilaudid, Methadose, Neurontin, Temazepam for a patient with Itching, Gout - Chronic, Chronic Pain, Neuropathic Pain, Insomnia. The patient has Itching
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients are also considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.