Review: Gabapentin and Savella
This review analyzes the effectiveness and drug interactions between Gabapentin and Savella. It is created by eHealthMe based on 236 people who take the drugs. The review uses reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
How are my drugs for patients like me? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now, it's anonymous, simple & free >>>
On Apr, 6, 2014: 236 people who reported to have interactions when taking Gabapentin, Savella are studied
Drug combinations in study:
- Gabapentin (gabapentin)
- Savella (milnacipran hydrochloride)
Most common interactions experienced by people in the use of Gabapentin, Savella:(click on each outcome to view in-depth analysis, incl. how people recovered)
|Interaction||Number of reports|
|Fatigue (feeling of tiredness)||97|
|Hypertension (high blood pressure)||86|
|Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit)||85|
|Headache (pain in head)||75|
|Agitation (state of anxiety or nervous excitement)||54|
|Malaise (a feeling of general discomfort or uneasiness)||50|
Most common interactions experienced by people in long term use of Gabapentin, Savella:(click on each outcome to view in-depth analysis, incl. how people recovered)
|Interaction||Number of reports|
|Somnolence (a state of near-sleep, a strong desire for sleep)||12|
|Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit)||9|
|Tremor (trembling or shaking movements in one or more parts of your body)||8|
|Malaise (a feeling of general discomfort or uneasiness)||8|
|Musculoskeletal Stiffness (stiffness of the body's muscles, joints, tendons, ligaments and nerves)||8|
|Loss Of Consciousness||8|
How effective are the drugs:
|not at all||somewhat||moderate||high||very high|
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Neuropathy peripheral
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
You can also:
- Check symptoms: is your symptom caused by a drug or a condition?
- Write a review: share your experience
- Ask a question: ask patients like you a question
- Subscribe the study: get notified of updates
- Post a comment: or see what other people said about the study
Complete drug side effects:
On eHealthMe, Gabapentin (gabapentin) is often used to treat neuralgia. Savella (milnacipran hydrochloride) is often used to treat fibromyalgia. Find out below the conditions the drugs are used for, how effective they are, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is the drug used for and how effective is it:
- Gabapentin is used in:
- Savella is used in:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
- Gabapentin alternatives:
- Savella alternatives:
Comments from related studies:
From this study (2 weeks ago):
From this study (6 months ago):
From this study (13 months ago):
diagnosis of fibromyalgia x 2 years ago
diagnosis of breast cancer 3 mos ago . No longer taking estrogen progesterone Blood pressure has begun to rise approx 3 mos ago.
I have become increasingly obsessive. I was switched to generic Geodon and it was not working. I have been on 60 mg of Geodon for about a month. I am feeling somewhat better ], but still worry a lot.
Please help if you are able.
Background: Very Healthy, active 115 lb. 70 year old female. Worked out, lifted weights, 40 minute walk, 40 deep knee bends, 20 push ups, all daily activities until 8 months ago when became profoundly fatigued, with severe (incapacitating) muscle pain, literally overnight. Had to quit job, as too fatigued to work. Currently: No muscle pain. Debilitating fatigue persists.
200 Tramadol daily, Chronic Severe Bursitis
8 mgs. Prednisone daily, fatigue
50 mcs. Synthroid daily, Hypothyroidism
300 mgs. Gabapentin daily, Post Herpetic Neuralgia (Shingles)
Savella Dose pack prescribed. Details below.
Recently prescribed Savella dose pack to treat unremitting fatigue. Dx: PMR NOS. Also taking Tramadol 200 mgs. daily, 3 years for Severe Chronic Bursitis.
After 12.5 msg Savella twice daily for three days, nothing different noted.
Dose pack increase: 25 mgs twice daily for four days. After three days, noted moderate increase in energy. Dose pack increase to 50 mgs. twice daily. After three to four days felt increasingly worse: fatigued, weak, unsteady on my feet, heart rate 104 (typically 70-74). Fatigue much worse than before started Savella. Quit Savella.
Question: I read Savella interacts badly with Tramadol, but how seriously for my body, and at what dose? Savella at lower dose (25 mgs twice daily,) was such a welcome therapeutic difference in fatigue symptoms. If possible, would like to restart Savella at 25 mgs twice daily. Would I notice if an interaction with Tramadol at that dose of Savella, and would it preclude taking them together? Looking forward to your report on others experiencing these interactions and symptoms.
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
- I get shaky in the am after using the drug the night before
Does Gabapentin and Depakote have the same effect or does Gabapentin have a little less effect than Depakote where gabapentin makes you shake rather than not make you loose weight?
- Can high dose of neurontin cause skin rash on face?
Have been Taking 3000 mg Neurontin per day for migraine treatment for aprox 3 months and have recently developed unexplained rash on face.
- Why has my rls/plmd increased since i've been on ms contin, oxycodone, and higher dose of ropinerole? previously, i was on 40mg hydrocodone per day.
I have Fibromyalgia, Endometriosis, and Periodic Limb Movement Disorder (PLMD) AND Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS). Recently, I went of of Hydrocodone, and started with MS Contin and Oxycodone. I also RAISED my Requip from .5 to 1mg.
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- Osteomyelitis the battle to neutralize a punishing disease
Collar bones feet and skull 47 times in hyperbaric chamber and two years oxygen cured it disease returned after cutting toe with axe during hurricane like locked horns with disease no winner yet have not found drug to neutralize the superbug its very punishing taking 100 herbal pills daily plus clon ...
- Addison's disease and gabapintin
a 100 mg gabapentin capsule has left me totally spaced out with blurred vision and disorientation for 3 days now. Never again do I want to go near one of those capsules. Dr. prescribed 100 mg. druggist filled 300 mg. I am sure thankful I doubled checked and got 100 mg instead. The 300 mg would h ...
- Cardiac stress test (thalamine ) and oxycodone
I am writing this for my sister-in-law, Maria, who is not able to do so and for whom my husband, her brother, and I are the POAs. In May of 2012, Maria had a recurring pain in her leg which took her to the hospital again. She was diagnosed for a second time as having a strained muscle. Then the hosp ...
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Neurontin, Savella for a patient with Hot Flashes, Fibromyalgia. The patient has Hypertension (High blood pressure)
- A study of drug interactions between Potassium Chloride, Zyrtec, Multivitamin, Calcium, Protonix, Geodon, Singulair, Savella, Gabapentin for a patient with Muscle Spasms, Multiple Allergies, Healthy Living, Osteoporosis Postmenopausal, Acid Reflux, Bipolar Disorder, Asthma, Osteoarthritis, Fibromyalgia. The patient has Obsessive Thoughts, Anxiety Aggravated (Stress and anxiety)
- A study of drug interactions between Tramadol, Synthroid, Savella, Gabapentin, Prednisone for a patient with Bursitis, Hypothyroidism, Fatigue, Post Herpetic Neuralgia. The patient has Fatigue Much Worse At Higher Dose (50 Mgs Twice Daily) Of Savella. Much More Fatigue. Weak. Unsteady On Feet.
Recent related drug comparison:
- Comparions of , Trazodone Hydrochloride, Cymbalta, Bentyl, Gralise for a 47-year old woman who has Costochondritis
- Comparions of Lexapro, Ativan, Trazodone Hydrochloride, Gabapentin for a 37-year old woman who has Sleep - Natural Short Sleeper
- Comparions of Atripla, Gabapentin for a 32-year old man who has Nerve Pain
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients are also considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.