Review: Lexapro and Depakote
Summary: drug interactions are reported among people who take Lexapro and Depakote together.
This review analyzes the effectiveness and drug interactions between Lexapro and Depakote. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 1,245 people who take the same drugs from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Lexapro and Depakote >>>
What are the drugs
Lexapro (latest outcomes from 39,391 users) has active ingredients of escitalopram oxalate. It is often used in depression.
Depakote (latest outcomes from 30,927 users) has active ingredients of divalproex sodium. It is often used in bipolar disorder.
On Nov, 24, 2014: 1,245 people who take Lexapro, Depakote are studied
Drug combinations in study:
- Lexapro (escitalopram oxalate)
- Depakote (divalproex sodium)
Drug effectiveness over time :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years||not specified|
|Lexapro is effective||0.00%|
(0 of 4 people)
(1 of 8 people)
(1 of 7 people)
(3 of 6 people)
(3 of 12 people)
(1 of 2 people)
(4 of 5 people)
(0 of 1 people)
|Depakote is effective||40.00%|
(4 of 10 people)
(2 of 10 people)
(1 of 3 people)
(3 of 4 people)
(5 of 10 people)
(1 of 1 people)
(3 of 6 people)
(1 of 1 people)
Most common drug interactions over time * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years||not specified|
|Dyspnoea||Pancreatitis||Anxiety||Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus||Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus||Suicidal Ideation||Weight Increased||Diabetes Mellitus|
|Convulsion||Convulsion||Overdose||Obesity||Pain||Depression||Obesity||Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus|
|Suicide Attempt||Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus||Fatigue||Weight Increased||Convulsion||Neuropathy Peripheral||Thrombosis||Weight Increased|
|Cerebrovascular Accident||Diabetes Mellitus Inadequate Control||Weight Increased||Neuropathy Peripheral||Diabetic Neuropathy||Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus||Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus||Depression|
|Suicidal Ideation||Depression||Pain In Extremity||Diabetes Mellitus||Nausea||Lethargy||Breast Mass||Suicidal Ideation|
|Eosinophilic Pneumonia||Blood Triglycerides Increased||Depression||Overdose||Hypoglycaemia||Somnolence||Perirectal Abscess||Anxiety|
|Depression||Blood Cholesterol Increased||Chest Pain||Blood Cholesterol Increased||Mental Status Changes||Tremor||Anticoagulation Drug Level Above Therapeutic||Tremor|
|Coma||Pyrexia||Neutrophil Count Increased||Cardiac Disorder||Vomiting||Diabetes Mellitus||Headache||Blood Cholesterol Increased|
|Anxiety||Dyskinesia||Urinary Incontinence||Breast Mass||Obesity||Hernia||Somnolence||Fatigue|
|Breast Cyst||Diabetic Gastroparesis||Malaise||Thrombosis||Hyperlipidaemia||Hepatic Enzyme Increased||Diabetes Mellitus Inadequate Control||Diarrhoea|
Drug effectiveness by gender :
|Lexapro is effective||33.33%|
(10 of 30 people)
(3 of 15 people)
|Depakote is effective||39.29%|
(11 of 28 people)
(9 of 17 people)
Most common drug interactions by gender * :
|Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus||Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus|
|Diabetes Mellitus||Diabetes Mellitus|
|Blood Cholesterol Increased||Suicidal Ideation|
Drug effectiveness by age :
|Lexapro is effective||n/a||n/a||7.69%|
(1 of 13 people)
(2 of 8 people)
(5 of 19 people)
(2 of 14 people)
(2 of 10 people)
(1 of 5 people)
|Depakote is effective||n/a||n/a||7.14%|
(1 of 14 people)
(6 of 10 people)
(6 of 19 people)
(4 of 13 people)
(1 of 10 people)
(2 of 6 people)
Most common drug interactions by age * :
|Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus||Somnolence||Diarrhoea||Diabetes Mellitus||Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus||Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus||Diabetes Mellitus||Suicidal Ideation|
|Suicidal Ideation||Haematocrit||Dizziness||Weight Increased||Diabetes Mellitus||Diabetes Mellitus||Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus||Dry Mouth|
|Pyoderma Gangrenosum||Fall||Suicidal Ideation||Suicidal Ideation||Obesity||Anxiety||Depression||Fall|
|Pelvic Pain||Drug Toxicity||Aggression||Dyspnoea||Blood Cholesterol Increased||Blood Cholesterol Increased||Fatigue||Decreased Appetite|
|Urinary Tract Infection||Dizziness||Vomiting||Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus||Weight Increased||Diabetic Neuropathy||Pain||Diarrhoea|
|Uterine Leiomyoma||Headache||Weight Increased||Suicide Attempt||Blood Triglycerides Increased||Back Pain||Somnolence||Tremor|
|Oculoauriculovertebral Dysplasia||Radius Fracture||Diabetes Mellitus||Insomnia||Diabetes Mellitus Inadequate Control||Diabetes Mellitus Inadequate Control||Anxiety||Drug Ineffective|
|Drug Exposure During Pregnancy||Platelet Count||Abdominal Pain||Agitation||Chest Pain||Dyspnoea||Dizziness||Depression|
|Pancreatitis||Disorientation||Condition Aggravated||Post-traumatic Stress Disorder||Nausea||Convulsion||Tremor||Muscle Twitching|
|Weight Increased||Psychomotor Hyperactivity||Hyperhidrosis||Dizziness||Suicidal Ideation||Neuropathy Peripheral||Weight Decreased||Nightmare|
* Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you take Lexapro and Depakote?
- Personalize this study to your gender and age
- Write a review: share your experience of taking Lexapro and Depakote
- Ask a question: ask patients like you a question
- Subscribe the study: get notified of updates
- Post a comment: or see what other people said about the study
You are not alone! Join a related mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Lexapro and Depakote
- support group for people who take Depakote
- support group for people who take Lexapro
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Has anyone been helped by taking lexapro and wellbutrin?
(Asked by a 22 year old woman who has Depression, and takes Wellbutrin, Lexapro)
I am the mom of a 22 year old who is trying to get through college and can't seem to find the right meds for depression. She is taking Lexapro and I am wondering if adding Wellbutrin will help.
- Can my eye twitch be because of lexapro?
(Asked by a 27 year old woman who has Eyelid Twitch, Muscle Twitching, Twitch - Eyelid, and takes Clonazepam, Lexapro)
So I have had symptoms of anxiety and depression due to a lot of stressors and disasters that happened in my life over the past two years. As my anxiety got worse after a breast biopsy, I started freaking out and thinking I may have MS because my sister has MS. So I went to my GP and she decided my ...
- My mom is 88. she takes lexapro in the evening. she wakes up hallucinating. it's starting to get to her. what should i try for her?
(Asked by a 88 year old woman who has Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Atrial Fibrillation, High Blood Cholesterol, High Blood Pressure, Dementia (controlled), and takes Multivitamin, Lipitor, Claritin, Allopurinol, Diltiazem Hydrochloride, Namenda Xr, Aricept, Dicyclomine Hydrochloride, Bystolic, Lexapro)
My mom has been taking Lexapro for about 2 1/2 to 3 months. She was taking it in the morning and her therapist felt it was making her drowsy. I began giving it to her before bed, and I believe that is when she started waking up during the night with hallucinations. I'm not sure if they are vivid ...
- My sister has been taking depakote cogentin and geodon and suffers with great memory loss inability to carry on a conversation and drops things all the time is this the effect of these drugs?
(Asked by a 55 year old woman who has Halucinations, Talking Out Of Her Head, Sleeping Difficulty, Falling , Memory Loss, and takes Wellbutrin, Prozac, Geodon, Cogentin, Depakote)
Sister takes over 16 perscriptions but the ones mentioned are severe.. due to being bi-polar, and severe agoraphobia and anxiety with depression..is this now her life? Not being able to fully comprehend or remember anything? Dropping things and falling when under the full impact of this medication? ...
- Has anybody who is on cipralex or lexapro been diagnosed with pancreatic cyst❓
(Asked by a 44 year old woman who has Pancreatic Cyst, and takes Lexapro)
I was on cipralex for a year. Last week a large pancreatic cyst 7 cm was found incidentally. In the past I have been hospitalized because of kidney reaction to tetracycline antibiotic
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Seizure patient was on depakote for 16 years now on keppra 1500 mg.
(Posted by a 29 year old woman who has Epilepsy, and takes Vicodin, Vitamin D, Depakote, Keppra)
I am 28 years old and been off depakote for 5 months. I started keppra to control my seizure disorder, which works great. But for the past year I have developed osteoarthritis in my thoracic, si joints, and lumbar. I get alot of muscle hypersensitivity and pain. Can any of this be due to long term ...
- Lexapro and memory loss
(Posted by a 23 year old woman who has PTSD, Anxiety Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, and takes Lexapro)
I actually have no idea what other medicine I was on the week I took Lexapro, it was back at the end of February 2014 right before I checked myself into the psych hospital. I formed no memory for a whole week just because of one drug! My friends and family tell me what happened that week and I have ...
- Patients having false positives while on remeron
(Posted by a 43 year old man who has False Positive Drug Test While On Probation Or Parole, and takes Sonata, Lunesta, Diazepam, Prozac, Lexapro, Ambien, Remeron )
I have had a few patients complain they are failing drug tests for Amphetamines while on remeron, and have claimed to have not used any type of Amphetamine or any (Mixed Salts). These patients are all or were on probation, parole, or under some stipulation. Iv realized most of these patients are tak ...
- Depakote er affected by grapefruit
(Posted by a 58 year old woman who has Epilepsy, and takes Depakote ER)
I have taken Depakote ER for since 2005 for epilepsy. Once stabilized many years ago seizures and auras have not been bothering me. Until I recently ate three grapefruits over three days. After a few days, when the grapefruit cleared my system, the seizures and auras ceased. Therefore, grapefrui ...
- Yes, lexapro does cause tinnitus!
(Posted by a 67 year old woman who has Tinnitus, and takes Lexapro)
Whenever I forget to take my Lexapro in the morning, I get a high pitched ringing in my ears which starts around 1:00 pm, which won't go away until a few hours after I take the drug. Once I was out of the medication and I almost screamed because the ringing got so bad! I don't think it is as "rare" ...
Complete drug side effects:
On eHealthMe, Lexapro (escitalopram oxalate) is often used to treat depression. Depakote (divalproex sodium) is often used to treat bipolar disorder. Find out below the conditions the drugs are used for, how effective they are, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is the drug used for and how effective is it:
- Lexapro is used in:
- Depakote is used in:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
- Lexapro alternatives:
- Depakote alternatives:
Recent related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- A study of drug interactions between Clonazepam, Valproate Sodium, Lexapro for a patient with Insomnia Related To Another Mental Condition, Bipolar 2, Major Depression. The patient has Gout - Acute
Comments: I was diagnosed with Bipolar 2 about 20 years ago. I manage it well generally - I do not drink or take illegal drugs. About 12 months ago I was made redundant from a very senior position at 53. Unfortunately I was immediately head hunted for an exceptionally stressful role working for a manager w ...
- A study of drug interactions between Prilosec, Ativan, Vicodin, Naprosyn, Norpramin, Metformin, Robinul, Strattera, Wellbutrin, Flexeril, Lexapro for a patient with Reflux Gastritis, Anxiety, Pain, Arthritis, Depression, Weight Gain, Sweating - Excessive, To Treat Side Effects Of Antidepressants Such As Extreme Fatigue And Inability To Focus, To Treat Weight Gain Side Effects Of Anti Depressants. The patient has Swallowing Painful, Vision Blurred, Anxiety, Oral Pain, Angular Cheilitis, Taste Disturbance, Gum Pain, Tongue Exfoliation, Tongue Irritation, Headache - Migraine Without Aura, Sweating - Excessive, Pain - Muscles, Pain - Joints, Depression, Hair Loss
Comments: Naprosyn, Vicodin, Ativan and Prilosec are taken only on an as needed basis. Some of my symptoms are intermittent, and some are chronic. The though the medications may not completely rid me of a symptom (for example, depression or muscle pain), they do improve my condition enough to warrant their co ...
- A study of drug interactions between Lyrica, Mobic, Vitamin D, Potassium Chloride, Diovan Hct, Xanax, Lexapro, Vicodin, Zanaflex, Chantix for a patient with Fibromyalgia, Inflammatory Pain, Iga Deficiency, Hypertension, Anxiety, Apprehension, Feeling Uptight, Jitters, Stress, Stress And Anxiety, Tension, Depression, Arthritis - Osteoarthritis, Stop Smoking. The patient has Ance Like Lesions On Face, Chest, Shoulders, Arms, And Legs
Comments: I am trying to figure out if this "acne" I have all over my face & body is actually acne or something else. It started about a month after I began taking Chantix and I was wondering if that drug could be responsible. At the beginning, I had a sty on the inside lower lid,of my eye, and within 3-4 day ...
- A study of drug interactions between Ambien, Suboxone, Lamotrigine, Depakote for a patient with Insomnia, Addiction, Mood Disorder, Bipolar Ii Disorder. The patient has Nightmares
Comments: I am waking you 4-5 times a week between 3-4 am crying and yelling.I have the same dream every night, detail for detail.it's always the same, I get a call to come to the hospital something to do with my husband. I go there and they don't say anything to me just walk me into a room and he is laying ...
- A study of drug interactions between Loratadine, Ibuprofen, Acetaminophen, Probiotic, Glucosamine And Chondroitin Sulfate And MSM, Multivitamin, Aspirin, Calcium Citrate, Meloxicam, Exelon, Nexium, Lantus, Novolog, Escitalopram, Lisinopril for a patient with Allergy To Plants, Cats/dogs Dander, Trees And Grasses, Chronic Pain, Intestinal Health Increase Healthy Bacteria Destroyed By Aspartame, Joint Stiffness, For Women Over 50, No Iron,need Lutein,etc., Preventative, Osteopenia, Stiffness In A Joint, Dementia, Acid Reflux, Diabetes Mellitus Insulin-dependent, Depression, High Blood Pressure. The patient has Chronic Pain, Osteoarthritis Aggravated, Dementia Due To Other General Medical Condition, Acid Reflux, Diabetes Mellitus Aggravated, Depression, High Blood Pressure
Comments: Diabetes Mellitus, insulin dependent for 53 years, brittle. Chronic pain due to needing bone graph in femur/hip joint due to femur fracture 5 years ago which surgery did not properly repair--chronic bone deterioration in that left femur, lumbar spinal stenosis-awaiting surgery to L4/L5 slipped/rupt ...
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients are also considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.