Review: Mucinex and Benadryl
This review analyzes the effectiveness and drug interactions between Mucinex and Benadryl. It is created by eHealthMe based on 434 people who take the drugs. The review uses reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
On Apr, 4, 2014: 434 people who reported to have interactions when taking Mucinex, Benadryl are studied
Drug combinations in study:
- Mucinex (guaifenesin)
- Benadryl (diphenhydramine hydrochloride)
Most common interactions experienced by people in the use of Mucinex, Benadryl:(click on each outcome to view in-depth analysis, incl. how people recovered)
|Interaction||Number of reports|
|Dyspnoea (difficult or laboured respiration)||386|
|Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit)||236|
|Osteoarthritis (a joint disease caused by cartilage loss in a joint)||182|
Most common interactions experienced by people in long term use of Mucinex, Benadryl:(click on each outcome to view in-depth analysis, incl. how people recovered)
|Interaction||Number of reports|
|Ileus (a painful obstruction of the ileum or other part of the intestine)||8|
|Febrile Neutropenia (fever with reduced white blood cells)||8|
|Diabetes Mellitus (diabetes, caused by a deficiency of the pancreatic hormone insulin)||3|
|Hypoglycaemia (deficiency of glucose in the bloodstream)||3|
|Blood Potassium Increased (damage to or disease of the kidney)||3|
|Bronchospasm (spasm of bronchial smooth muscle producing narrowing of the bronchi)||2|
|Diabetes Mellitus Inadequate Control||2|
|Diabetic Nephropathy (diabetic kidney disease)||2|
|Glucose Tolerance Impaired (blood glucose is raised beyond normal levels, but not high enough to warrant a diabetes diagnosis)||2|
How effective are the drugs:
|not at all||somewhat||moderate||high||very high|
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Heparin sodium injection
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
If the study doesn't answer your question, you can:
You can also:
- Check symptoms: is your symptom caused by a drug or a condition?
- Subscribe the study: get notified of updates
- Post a comment: or see what other people said about the study
Complete drug side effects:
On eHealthMe, Mucinex (guaifenesin) is often used to treat cough. Benadryl (diphenhydramine hydrochloride) is often used to treat allergies. Find out below the conditions the drugs are used for, how effective they are, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is the drug used for and how effective is it:
- Mucinex is used in:
- Benadryl is used in:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
- Mucinex alternatives:
- Benadryl alternatives:
Comments from related studies:
From this study (2 months ago):
From this study (1 year ago):
From this study (4 years ago):
Starting having severe muscle cramps and fasciculations. Cramping to all muscles- even my neck and abdomen
carmen on Nov, 16, 2012:
I am 25yr. Old female I was prescribed a muscle relaxer 500mg, mucinex 600mg, ibuprofen 600mg,is it ok to take all meds at the same time or should I wait some time before taking the next med.
Do any of these medications contain any form of mercury? My son can't excrete mercury well. Do any contain sulfa? He is allergic to sulfa.
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
- Have benadryl users ever experienced sudden onset hearing loss in one ear? does i hearing return?
I've been taking Benadryl tablets to control intense itching for the past two months or so. My last tablet was 2 days ago. Today, over the course of 2 hours, I've lost a significant amount of hearing in one ear. Has anyone else experienced this? Was your hearing restored, and if so, with treatmen ...
- How do you know for sure benadryl caused the hair loss
I'm 36 years old and have been taking Benadryl to help sleep for 6-8 months, 4-5 nights a week. The past couple months I've noticed a ton of shedding especially around my crown towards the mid to back of my part and now see my scalp through the hair that is still there. I'm starting to panic and ha ...
- Can i take saphris with sudafed and benadryl
Is it ok to take sudafed and Benadryl cold and flu tablets with saphris bipolar tablets?
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- Leg pain and occasional arm and hand pain
I started having leg pains at night, lower leg felt like the muscle and bone were being pulled causing sharp pain. It was relieved by getting up and walking but would last most of the night. I finally realized after suffering this over and over for months, that it only happened when I had taken be ...
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Zyrtec, Augmentin, Veramyst, Benadryl, Albuterol, Mucinex for a patient with Allergic Rhinitis, Sinus Infection, Sinusitis, Nasal Congestion, Bronchitis. The patient has Diplopia, Muscle Cramps
- A study of drug interactions between Lovastatin, Singulair, Flonase, Claritin, Omeprazole, Mucinex, Benadryl for a patient with High Blood Cholesterol, Allergies, Gerd, Sleep Aid.
- A study of drug interactions between Sporanox - 100MG, Zofran Odt - 4MG, Magnesium Oxide, Benadryl, Bacillus Probiotics, Prilosec, Mucinex, Klonopin for a patient with Blastocystis Infection 2caps Tid, Blastomycosis. Nausea Related To Side Effects Of Sporonox. Tid, Blastomycosis To Help W Chest Pains Due To Depletion Caus Bided By Amphoteracin B Rx And Now Sporonox, Blastomycosis. Taken Help W Rash Itching Due To Sporono Tidx, Blastomycosis. One Daily., Blastomycosis. Helps W Gerd Caused By Meds, Blastomycosis. Helps Thin Secretions To Help Breathe. Bid, Blastomycosis. Helps W Tremors. Tid.
Recent related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Chlorpheniramine Maleate, Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride for a 47-year old woman who has Sneezing And Runny Nose
- Comparions of Zyrtec Allergy, Benadryl for a 55-year old woman who has Throat Tightness
- Comparions of DayQuil, Mucinex for a 26-year old woman who has Cold Symptoms
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients are also considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.