Review: Novolog and Levemir drug interactions
This review analyzes the interactions between Novolog and Levemir. It is created by eHealthMe based on 2,226 people who have drug interactions while taking the drugs. The review uses reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
What are the drugs
Novolog (latest outcomes from 11,767 users) has active ingredients of insulin aspart recombinant. It is often used in diabetes.
Levemir (latest outcomes from 7,062 users) has active ingredients of insulin detemir recombinant. It is often used in diabetes.
On Mar, 4, 2014: 2,226 people who reported to have interactions when taking Novolog, Levemir are studied
Drug combinations in study:
- Novolog (insulin aspart recombinant)
- Levemir (insulin detemir recombinant)
Most common interactions experienced by people in the use of Novolog, Levemir:(click on each outcome to view in-depth analysis, incl. how people recovered)
|Interaction||Number of reports|
|Blood Glucose Increased||376|
|Hypoglycaemia (deficiency of glucose in the bloodstream)||340|
|Dyspnoea (difficult or laboured respiration)||146|
|Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit)||99|
|Blood Glucose Decreased||95|
|Diabetes Mellitus Inadequate Control||91|
|Drug Exposure During Pregnancy||82|
|Blood Glucose Fluctuation||71|
Most common interactions experienced by people in long term use of Novolog, Levemir:(click on each outcome to view in-depth analysis, incl. how people recovered)
|Interaction||Number of reports|
|Hypoglycaemia (deficiency of glucose in the bloodstream)||16|
|Diabetes Mellitus Inadequate Control||8|
|Atrial Fibrillation (fibrillation of the muscles of the atria of the heart)||8|
|Hyperglycaemia (high blood sugar)||8|
|Blood Glucose Increased||8|
|Drug Exposure During Pregnancy||5|
|Drug Eruption (adverse drug reaction of the skin)||4|
|Injection Site Pain||4|
|Diabetic Foot Infection||3|
How effective are the drugs:
|not at all||somewhat||moderate||high||very high|
Top conditions involved for these people * :n/a
Top co-used drugs for these people * :n/a
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
You can also:
- Check symptoms: is your symptom caused by a drug or a condition?
- Write a review: share your experience
- Ask a question: ask patients like you a question
- Subscribe the study: get notified of updates
- Post a comment: or see what other people said about the study
Complete drug side effects:
On eHealthMe, Novolog (insulin aspart recombinant) is often used to treat type 1 diabetes. Levemir (insulin detemir recombinant) is often used to treat diabetes. Find out below the conditions the drugs are used for, how effective they are, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is the drug used for and how effective is it:
- Novolog is used in:
- Levemir is used in:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
- Novolog alternatives:
- Levemir alternatives:
Comments from related studies:
From this study (3 months ago):
From this study (3 months ago):
From this study (6 months ago):
Patient was very talkative, eating well and walking a lot prior to this. Isn't talking much now.
I am experiencing intentional movements when going to sleep. The movements follow what I am dreaming about.
Mornings only, I wake to snowy vision in both eyes, long with blurry vision, usually goes away by mid morning. Started once I am taking Elavil 75 mg for nerve pain in feet...Once looking outside from afar I see a white haze. Never losing vision, but symptoms blurry.
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
- By jski: Does taking lexapro prevent ms relapses? every time i try to stop taking lexa pro i have an ms relapse
I have been on lexapro for 9 years and was diagnosed with MS 10 years ago. Currently I am taking the new drug Tecfedra for the MS. In the past whenever I have tried to stop taking Lexapro, I have an MS Relapse. I am only on 10 mg a day and cut that in half for a few weeks as I try to quit. Is there ...
- By Chista: Does prazosin relieve tardive dyskensia ?
Used Zoloft for 9 straight years. Now only take insulin. This is the only drug that is not addictive or dangerous like antidepressants are. . . Any thoughts?
- By angelmaria: Is there an interaction between chromium polynicotinate and synthroid
One of the ingredients, chromium polynicotinate, is in Super CitriMax Plus and want to know if it will interact with Synthroid or any of the other medications I listed above?
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Melatonin, Novolog, Aricept, Levemir, Metformin Hydrochloride; Repaglinide, Saphris, Depakote, Septra Ds for a patient with Insomnia Related To Another Mental Condition, Diabetes Mellitus Insulin-dependent, Dementia Alzheimer's Type, Bipolar Mania, Psychosis, Uti - Acute. The patient has Decreased Activity, Decreased Eye Contact, Decreased Interest, Weakness, Appetite - Decreased, Lethargy (Fatigue), Difficulty In Walking
- A study of drug interactions between Zinc Sulfate, Selenium, Vitamin C, B Complex Vitamin, Omega-9 Fatty Acids, Omega-6 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids, Omega-3, Calcium-D-Glucarate, Vitamin D, Ubiquinol, Turmeric, Bupropion Hydrochloride, Glipizide, Lamotrigine, Novolog, Levemir, Ondansetron, Simvastatin, Lisinopril, Aggrenox, Synthroid, Januvia, Cymbalta, Lansoprazole, Ropinirole Hydrochloride for a patient with Hair Loss In Women, Heel Pain, Fatigue, Wine And Heart Health, Bone Density Increased, Vitamin D Deficiency, Rhabdomyolysis, Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Analgesic Supportive Therapy, Depression, Diabetes Mellitus Insulin-dependent, Bipolar 1, Nausea, Relapsing-remitting Multiple Sclerosis, High Blood Pressure, Blood Thinner, Thyroid Disorder, Diabetic Autonomic Neuropathy, Gerd, Restless Leg Syndrome. The patient has Nausea And Vomiting, Bipolar I Disorder, High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides (High Blood Cholesterol), Depression, Reflux (Gastroesophageal reflux disease), Hypothyroidism, Fatigue - Chronic (Chronic fatigue syndrome), High Blood Pressure, High Blood Sugar (Hyperglycemia), Myoclonic Jerks
- A study of drug interactions between Levemir, NovoRapid, Aspirin, Furosemide, Digoxin, Ezetimibe, Bisoprolol Fumarate, Spironolactone, Atorvastatin Calcium, Nexium, Elavil, Ramipril for a patient with Diabetic Foot, Heart Rate Abnormal, Fluid Overload, Fluid Retention, Cholesterol Test, High Blood Cholesterol, Reflux Esophagitis, Nerve Pain, Congestive Heart Failure. The patient has Eyes - Sensitive To Light (Photophobia), Cloudy Cornea
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients are also considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.