Review: Novolog and Levemir
This review analyzes the effectiveness and drug interactions between Novolog and Levemir. It is created by eHealthMe based on 2,228 people who take the drugs. The review uses reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
On Apr, 3, 2014: 2,228 people who reported to have interactions when taking Novolog, Levemir are studied
Drug combinations in study:
- Novolog (insulin aspart recombinant)
- Levemir (insulin detemir recombinant)
Most common interactions experienced by people in the use of Novolog, Levemir:(click on each outcome to view in-depth analysis, incl. how people recovered)
|Interaction||Number of reports|
|Blood Glucose Increased||894|
|Hypoglycaemia (deficiency of glucose in the bloodstream)||613|
|Dyspnoea (difficult or laboured respiration)||310|
|Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit)||270|
|Diabetes Mellitus Inadequate Control||244|
|Blood Glucose Decreased||244|
|Pain In Extremity||200|
Most common interactions experienced by people in long term use of Novolog, Levemir:(click on each outcome to view in-depth analysis, incl. how people recovered)
|Interaction||Number of reports|
|Hypoglycaemia (deficiency of glucose in the bloodstream)||49|
|Blood Glucose Increased||40|
|Hyperglycaemia (high blood sugar)||34|
|Diabetes Mellitus Inadequate Control||30|
|Atrial Fibrillation (fibrillation of the muscles of the atria of the heart)||21|
|Anti-insulin Antibody Positive||16|
|Blood Glucose Fluctuation||14|
|Drug Exposure During Pregnancy||14|
|Drug Eruption (adverse drug reaction of the skin)||14|
|Sepsis (a severe blood infection that can lead to organ failure and death)||12|
How effective are the drugs:
|not at all||somewhat||moderate||high||very high|
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus
- Type 1 diabetes mellitus
- Diabetes mellitus
- Insulin-requiring type 2 diabetes mellitus
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Metformin hcl
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
If the study doesn't answer your question, you can:
You can also:
- Check symptoms: is your symptom caused by a drug or a condition?
- Subscribe the study: get notified of updates
- Post a comment: or see what other people said about the study
Complete drug side effects:
On eHealthMe, Novolog (insulin aspart recombinant) is often used to treat diabetes. Levemir (insulin detemir recombinant) is often used to treat diabetes. Find out below the conditions the drugs are used for, how effective they are, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is the drug used for and how effective is it:
- Novolog is used in:
- Levemir is used in:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
- Novolog alternatives:
- Levemir alternatives:
Comments from related studies:
From this study (3 weeks ago):
From this study (4 months ago):
From this study (5 months ago):
I started 18 units of levimir in january and my levothyroxine was raised from 112 mg to 125 at the same time. Levimir was raised from 15 to 34 units on feb 4 and since then to 38 units. I started novolog flex pen on feb. 4th. and my levothyroxine was elevated to alternating doses of 125 and 137. Since then I have been to the ER where they did ck test that was 726. The normal reference range is 30-200. My ckmb was4.9 with the normal reference range being 0.1-4.0. I had numbness on my left ear which has not gone away, it was coming and going, but is now more constant. Headaches, dizziness, difficulty breathing, loss of sleep, 3-4 hours a night max, can't catch my breath sitting or laying down, am better off when I'm on my feet,dizziness, fatigue, feels like a pressure or dizziness in both eyes. Have been in contact with endocrinologist and PCP. I stopped Testosterone injections, had my levothyroxine reduced to 112, quit taking novolog and got back on glimeperide, and stopped atorvastatin. Symptoms are not going away. It's been going on since the increases in medicine on feb 4. I had been getting test of ck and ckmb before and they were not high until the change in these medicines. I've been back to my PCP twice and shes trying to tell me it isn't the meds but I know it is. My blood pressure was high this week and that is never the case with me. I have had MRI on the chest and head, a brain scan MRI and carotid artery ultra sound that showed nothing out of the norm. I feel that these medicines are killing me. I can't go on like this much longer. My PCP does not seem to agree. Please advise!
Patient was very talkative, eating well and walking a lot prior to this. Isn't talking much now.
I am experiencing intentional movements when going to sleep. The movements follow what I am dreaming about.
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
- Does taking lexapro prevent ms relapses? every time i try to stop taking lexa pro i have an ms relapse
I have been on lexapro for 9 years and was diagnosed with MS 10 years ago. Currently I am taking the new drug Tecfedra for the MS. In the past whenever I have tried to stop taking Lexapro, I have an MS Relapse. I am only on 10 mg a day and cut that in half for a few weeks as I try to quit. Is there ...
- Does prazosin relieve tardive dyskensia ?
Used Zoloft for 9 straight years. Now only take insulin. This is the only drug that is not addictive or dangerous like antidepressants are. . . Any thoughts?
- Is there an interaction between chromium polynicotinate and synthroid
One of the ingredients, chromium polynicotinate, is in Super CitriMax Plus and want to know if it will interact with Synthroid or any of the other medications I listed above?
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Nexium, Novolog Flexpen, Levemir Flexpen, Levothyroxine Sodium for a patient with Acic Reflux/barretts Disease, Diabetes Mellitus Insulin-dependent, Type 2 Diabetes, Hypothyroidism. The patient has Pressure On Eyes, Fatigue, Trouble Concertrating, Tension Headaches (Tension headache), Swelling Around Nose And Eyelids, Numbness In Left Ear And Side Of Head, Dizziness, Shortness Of Breath (Breathing difficulty)
- A study of drug interactions between Melatonin, Novolog, Aricept, Levemir, Metformin Hydrochloride; Repaglinide, Saphris, Depakote, Septra Ds for a patient with Insomnia Related To Another Mental Condition, Diabetes Mellitus Insulin-dependent, Dementia Alzheimer's Type, Bipolar Mania, Psychosis, Uti - Acute. The patient has Decreased Activity, Decreased Eye Contact, Decreased Interest, Weakness, Appetite - Decreased, Lethargy (Fatigue), Difficulty In Walking
- A study of drug interactions between Zinc Sulfate, Selenium, Vitamin C, B Complex Vitamin, Omega-9 Fatty Acids, Omega-6 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids, Omega-3, Calcium-D-Glucarate, Vitamin D, Ubiquinol, Turmeric, Bupropion Hydrochloride, Glipizide, Lamotrigine, Novolog, Levemir, Ondansetron, Simvastatin, Lisinopril, Aggrenox, Synthroid, Januvia, Cymbalta, Lansoprazole, Ropinirole Hydrochloride for a patient with Hair Loss In Women, Heel Pain, Fatigue, Wine And Heart Health, Bone Density Increased, Vitamin D Deficiency, Rhabdomyolysis, Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Analgesic Supportive Therapy, Depression, Diabetes Mellitus Insulin-dependent, Bipolar 1, Nausea, Relapsing-remitting Multiple Sclerosis, High Blood Pressure, Blood Thinner, Thyroid Disorder, Diabetic Autonomic Neuropathy, Gerd, Restless Leg Syndrome. The patient has Nausea And Vomiting, Bipolar I Disorder, High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides (High Blood Cholesterol), Depression, Reflux (Gastroesophageal reflux disease), Hypothyroidism, Fatigue - Chronic (Chronic fatigue syndrome), High Blood Pressure, High Blood Sugar (Hyperglycemia), Myoclonic Jerks
Recent related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Novolog Flexpen, Humalog Kwikpen for a 49-year old man who has Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus
- Comparions of Novolog Flexpen, Apidra Solostar for a 20-year old man who has Diabetes Mellitus
- Comparions of Humalog, Novolog for a 23-year old woman who has Type 1 Diabetes
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients are also considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.