Review: Sertraline and Melatonin drug interactions
This review analyzes the interactions between Sertraline and Melatonin. It is created by eHealthMe based on 155 people who have drug interactions while taking the drugs. The review uses reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
What are the drugs
Sertraline (latest outcomes from 24,995 users) has active ingredients of sertraline hydrochloride. It is often used in depression.
Melatonin (latest outcomes from 2,545 users) has active ingredients of melatonin. It is often used in insomnia.
On Mar, 1, 2014: 155 people who reported to have interactions when taking Sertraline, Melatonin are studied
Drug combinations in study:
- Sertraline (sertraline hydrochloride)
- Melatonin (melatonin)
Most common interactions experienced by people in the use of Sertraline, Melatonin:(click on each outcome to view in-depth analysis, incl. how people recovered)
|Interaction||Number of reports|
|Oedema Peripheral (superficial swelling)||17|
|Headache (pain in head)||14|
Most common interactions experienced by people in long term use of Sertraline, Melatonin:(click on each outcome to view in-depth analysis, incl. how people recovered)
|Interaction||Number of reports|
|Fatigue (feeling of tiredness)||4|
|Disturbance In Attention||2|
|Hypomania (a mild form of mania, marked by elation and hyperactivity)||2|
|Headache (pain in head)||2|
|Scoliosis (a medical condition in which a person's spine is curved from side to side)||2|
|Tremor (trembling or shaking movements in one or more parts of your body)||2|
How effective are the drugs:
|not at all||somewhat||moderate||high||very high|
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Ill-defined disorder
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
You can also:
- Check symptoms: is your symptom caused by a drug or a condition?
- Write a review: share your experience
- Ask a question: ask patients like you a question
- Subscribe the study: get notified of updates
- Post a comment: or see what other people said about the study
Complete drug side effects:
On eHealthMe, Sertraline (sertraline hydrochloride) is often used to treat depression. Melatonin (melatonin) is often used to treat insomnia. Find out below the conditions the drugs are used for, how effective they are, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is the drug used for and how effective is it:
- Sertraline is used in:
- Melatonin is used in:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
- Sertraline alternatives:
- Melatonin alternatives:
Comments from related studies:
From this study (9 months ago):
From this study (9 months ago):
Have had leaking right breast occasionally during peri-menopausal years. Just noticed same clear yellow liquid in same (right) breast. No pain, lumps, swelling, redness, etc., but the liquid is darker. Should I be concerned?
I have had occasional nipple discharge thru peri-menopausal years, always in my right breast only and always a yellowish clear color. I have not had a period in 7 months, so I'm pretty sure this is indicitive of full Menopause. I just noticed some leakage in same breast (right),still clear but a darker shade of yellow. There has never been any pain,lumps, swelling or redness, etc., involved. Should I be concerned about the color getting darker?
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
- By Slo: If i take garcinia cambogia will it interfere with my other meds?
I take 40 mg of Lisinopril, 20mg of Pravastatin, 5mg Amlodipine Besylate, once per day. I take 100 mg of Sertraline Hcl Tabs. (one and one half per day) I use Clobex as needed for Psoriasis on my legs. I am on oxygen 24 hours a day @3 liters. I do take nebs twice a day every 12 hours of Perf ...
- By meisels: Can melatonin cause precocious puberty
can the use of Melatonin to help kids (girls) fall asleep cause Precocious puberty?
- By Saff: What is the general life span for patients of acute cerebellar ataxia, after their said diagnosis?
unsteady gait and sight weakness besides forgetfulness and limb weaknesses affecting speed, writing, speech etc.
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- By Christa: Zoloft & klonipin created a horrible psychosis
Causes psychosis, bipolar anxiety and seizures. Violence happens on all psychiatric drugs. Curing psychosis and deafness took the complete abandonment of psychiatry.
- By Angela Smith: Steven-johnsons syndrome caused by zoloft
Was diagnosed with depression start of last year due to my Aspergers multiplying school pressures for me. I was not put on any medication until 4 weeks ago. I was put on Zoloft 25mg, which slowly increased to 50mg. The moment I started on 50mg it caused severe lip dryness leading to cracking of the ...
- By greenjaybird: Bad side effect of melatonin/imitrex use together
I have taken melatonin for insomnia I've been experiencing recently (not a chronic condition). I haven't had any problems or interactions with my other regular medications while using the melatonin, other than drowsiness in the morning. Last night I had a migraine at bedtime, so took 50 mg. of imi ...
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Melatonin, Benadryl, Lisinopril, Hydrochlorothiazide, Amlodipine Besylate, Clonidine, Alprazolam, Zoloft for a patient with Insomnia, Hypertension, Anxiety And Stress, Depression - Chronic. The patient has Nipple Discharge - Abnormal
- A study of drug interactions between None, Melatonin, D-Biotin, Centrum, Omega-9 Fatty Acids, Omega - 6 Fatty Acids, Omega-3 Fatty Acid, Glutamine, Magnesium Sulfate, Sertraline for a patient with None, Sleeplessness, Alopecia, Vitamin Supplementation, Cognitive Deterioration, Fasciculations Of Muscle, Depression - Major. The patient has Fasciculations Of Muscle (Muscle twitching), Tremor, Rapid Eye Movements Sleep Abnormal
- A study of drug interactions between Zoloft, Seroquel, Clonazepam, Temazepam, Melatonin, Pantoprazole, Ortho Tri-cyclen 28 for a patient with Borderline Personality Disorder, Sleeping Difficulty, Sleep Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition, Heartburn - Chronic, Birth Control. The patient has Inflammation Localised
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients are also considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.