Review: Synthroid and Metformin
This review analyzes the effectiveness and drug interactions between Synthroid and Metformin. It is created by eHealthMe based on 11,549 people who take the drugs. The review uses reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
On Mar, 29, 2014: 11,549 people who reported to have interactions when taking Synthroid, Metformin are studied
Drug combinations in study:
- Synthroid (levothyroxine sodium)
- Metformin (metformin hydrochloride)
Most common interactions experienced by people in the use of Synthroid, Metformin:(click on each outcome to view in-depth analysis, incl. how people recovered)
|Interaction||Number of reports|
|Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit)||2,779|
|Dyspnoea (difficult or laboured respiration)||2,536|
|Fatigue (feeling of tiredness)||2,205|
|Blood Glucose Increased||1,934|
|Headache (pain in head)||1,535|
Most common interactions experienced by people in long term use of Synthroid, Metformin:(click on each outcome to view in-depth analysis, incl. how people recovered)
|Interaction||Number of reports|
|Renal Failure Acute (rapid kidney dysfunction)||98|
|Deep Vein Thrombosis (blood clot in a major vein that usually develops in the legs and/or pelvis)||78|
|Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit)||76|
|Cholecystitis Chronic (long lasting infection of gallbladder)||72|
|Fatigue (feeling of tiredness)||70|
|Abdominal Pain Upper||54|
|Pulmonary Embolism (blockage of the main artery of the lung)||50|
How effective are the drugs:
|not at all||somewhat||moderate||high||very high|
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Diabetes mellitus
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
If the study doesn't answer your question, you can:
You can also:
- Check symptoms: is your symptom caused by a drug or a condition?
- Subscribe the study: get notified of updates
- Post a comment: or see what other people said about the study
Complete drug side effects:
On eHealthMe, Synthroid (levothyroxine sodium) is often used to treat hypothyroidism. Metformin (metformin hydrochloride) is often used to treat diabetes. Find out below the conditions the drugs are used for, how effective they are, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is the drug used for and how effective is it:
- Synthroid is used in:
- Metformin is used in:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
- Synthroid alternatives:
- Metformin alternatives:
Comments from related studies:
From this study (1 month ago):
My mom was admitted to a nursing home 2-weeks ago before that she was held over at the hospital 13 days, meds was changed, Aricept removed and Detrol she had a staff MD. her primary care md passed away 3 years ago. He put her on her meds and tooked good care of her. She has not been without a primary md but he does not practice outside his offices. Mom had a good mental status did removing Aricept/Detrol trigger bad symptoms?
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
- Can u take metformin with stomach ulcer medication
I went to the doctors on friday cause i had an colonoscopy an they found out that o had 1 bleeding ulcers n 2 more stomach ulcer an they put me on 5 different medication an wanted to know if i can take my metformin with y stomach ulcer pills
- Can lantus cause problems with my menstrual cycle? i just started lantus in feb 2014 and it is now march and i'm am 5 days late on my cycle when i'm usually very consistent.
I was diagnosed with Diabetes on Jan 22nd and started Metformin ER 1000mg 2x a day. On Feb 21st I started Lantus 20units at bedtime. My last menstrual was Feb 18th - 21st and I am very consistent with a 27 day cycle. I am now 4 days late. Their is a very slim chance I am pregnant but feel that i ...
- Can digestacure cure myestenia gravis?
stared with breast cancer then myestenia and sclerdermia one after the other could any drug have set this off because of taking it for years
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- Metformin changes in mentrual cycle
At age 55, I started to enter menopause. When it began to taper off a couple of years ago, only one ovary was functioning, and my periods lasted only 1-2 days with minimal flow. Hadn't had a period in 4 months. Still had some PMS symptoms, but no flow. Was prescribed Metformin for pre-diabetes. My ...
- Metformin induced psoriatiform drug eruption
I'm a medical professional and I found psoratiform drug eruptions on my glans penis after taking metformin. This is the second time it has come and made me investigate the scenario myself. Lesions are scaly erythematous lesions and I am currently using low potency topical steroids after discontinuin ...
- Low sperm count levothyroxine
i happend to not be able to contact doctor for a refill two weeks went by my sperm count before was so low with it i barely shot out of me two weeks later my count has quadrupled with out it id rather blow my brain out than be on that shit again
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Metformin, Levothyroxine Thyroid for a patient with Diabetes, Low Thyroid.
- A study of drug interactions between Ibuprofen, Aspirin, Ranitidine, Detrol La, Klor-con M20, Mevacor, Glucophage, Levothroid, Escitalopram, Aricept for a patient with Arthritis, Blood Thinner, Heartburn And Acid Reflux, Overactive Bladder, Potassium - Low, High Blood Cholesterol, High Blood Sugar, Overactive Thyroid, Depression, Confusion. The patient has Detrol La, Severe Confusion,no Appetite,imagination Of Unusal Things
- A study of drug interactions between Metformin Hydrochloride, Synthroid, Indapamide, Atenolol, Quinapril for a patient with Diabetes, Thyroid Disorder, High Blood Pressure. The patient has Weakness, Dry Skin, Dry Mouth
Recent related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Metformin, Glimepiride for a 68-year old man who has Diabetes
- Comparions of Synthroid, Desiccated Pork Liver for a 55-year old woman who has Hypothyroidism
- Comparions of Levothyroxine Sodium, Haldol for a 57-year old man who has Hypothyroidism
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients are also considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.