Review: Valium and Paxil drug interactions
This review analyzes the interactions between Valium and Paxil. It is created by eHealthMe based on 2,739 people who have drug interactions while taking the drugs. The review uses reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
What are the drugs
Valium (latest outcomes from 21,743 users) has active ingredients of diazepam. It is often used in stress and anxiety.
Paxil (latest outcomes from 70,148 users) has active ingredients of paroxetine hydrochloride. It is often used in depression.
On Feb, 27, 2014: 2,739 people who reported to have interactions when taking Valium, Paxil are studied
Drug combinations in study:
- Valium (diazepam)
- Paxil (paroxetine hydrochloride)
Most common interactions experienced by people in the use of Valium, Paxil:(click on each outcome to view in-depth analysis, incl. how people recovered)
|Interaction||Number of reports|
|Fatigue (feeling of tiredness)||538|
|Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit)||512|
|Drug Withdrawal Syndrome (interfere with normal social, occupational, or other functioning. are not due to another medical condition, drug use, or discontinuation)||411|
|Headache (pain in head)||361|
|Tremor (trembling or shaking movements in one or more parts of your body)||334|
Most common interactions experienced by people in long term use of Valium, Paxil:(click on each outcome to view in-depth analysis, incl. how people recovered)
|Interaction||Number of reports|
|Nightmare (unpleasant dream)||116|
|Drug Withdrawal Syndrome (interfere with normal social, occupational, or other functioning. are not due to another medical condition, drug use, or discontinuation)||79|
|Tremor (trembling or shaking movements in one or more parts of your body)||57|
|Hyperhidrosis (abnormally increased sweating)||55|
|Disturbance In Attention||54|
|Headache (pain in head)||54|
How effective are the drugs:
|not at all||somewhat||moderate||high||very high|
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Sleep disorder
- Muscle spasms
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Paroxetine hcl
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
You can also:
- Check symptoms: is your symptom caused by a drug or a condition?
- Write a review: share your experience
- Ask a question: ask patients like you a question
- Subscribe the study: get notified of updates
- Post a comment: or see what other people said about the study
Complete drug side effects:
On eHealthMe, Valium (diazepam) is often used to treat stress and anxiety. Paxil (paroxetine hydrochloride) is often used to treat depression. Find out below the conditions the drugs are used for, how effective they are, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is the drug used for and how effective is it:
- Valium is used in:
- Paxil is used in:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
- Valium alternatives:
- Paxil alternatives:
Comments from related studies:
From this study (1 year ago):
From this study (2 years ago):
From this study (2 years ago):
I was heavy user of MDMA, Amphetamines and Heroin sometimes. But most MDMA. I stoped taking anything when I got to Methadone Clinic in my town. I was @ 40 mgs and then in a course of 6 months I jumped to 100 mg/ml.
Musa Sahin on Aug, 3, 2012:
I have bipolar disorder and I am using olizapine 10mg for 5 months. I have anxiety and amnesia. I became antisocial. I cant read books, watch T.V and focus on the things.
Meh... on Nov, 27, 2012:
go see your doctor, soon, I was on it over two years 10mg daily, I was like you, all I did was eat and sleep, I stopped, without telling anyone, and now I feel nothing, im here because im researching olanzipine causing Anhedonia, and im becoming more and more convinced, if anybody has any good evidence or simlar views or experiences my email is firstname.lastname@example.org, the people it gave diabetes know and have been compensated, I dont want compensated, I have no intrest in money, or interest in anything anymore for that matter, olansipine is over prescribed, mis prescribed and in my view dangerous to your long term future.
Just was wanting to know if I can take them all together, Is it safe?
I want to find out if the above listed drugs will counteract with each other.
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
- By Pete : Can taking amoxicillin 500 mg with paxil 40 mg have side effects. like increase depression.
Been taking 40mg Paxil and dentist just prescribed 500mg Amoxicillin. My depression seems to have increased and had a major anxiety attack. Has anyone had similar experiences with this combination of drugs?
- By Curious: Chronic diazepam use and retrograde memory loss
I'm distressed. I started noticing severe problems recalling memories from a long time before I started taking benzodiazepines. Before I started benzodiazepines, my memory was great. Has anyone experienced this adverse effect?
- By tealady: Is trazodone as opposed to paxil better for menopause symptoms?
Does Trazodone or Paxil offer better relief for menopause & insomnia? I am currently using Trazodone & am reluctant & frightened to switch to Paxil, which my current Dr. is prescribing. Please offer advice.
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- By Boo Radly: Rocephin and levaquin drug interactions
I went to ER of local hospital because I was feeling puny, low energy for a while. I was on no meds, physical active all my life, yoga practiser, no crippling. I am late deafened, can speak clearly. This is a true case of attempted murder. I refused to admit myself after waiting 8 hours - I was refu ...
- By Sally: Suboxone withdrawal how dangerous to go cold turkey?
Last night I was woken unable to breath, I could not get a breath through, I was terrified, it took several seconds for me to be able to breath, but I continued to vomit for about 30 minutes, then I slept with my head high with pillows in case it happened again.
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Paxil, Neurontin, Abilify, Baclofen, Valium for a patient with Depression, Muscle Spasms, Sleep Disorder, Adjustment Disorder With Mixed Anxiety And Depressed Mood.
- A study of drug interactions between Finasteride, Pravastatin Sodium, Paroxetine Hydrochloride, Hydrochlorothiazide, Diazepam for a patient with Hair Loss, High Blood Cholesterol, Anxiety Disorder, Diuretic Effect, Anxiety Nec.
- A study of drug interactions between Paroxetine Hydrochloride, Ibuprofen, Nexium, Modafinil, Modafinil, Modafinil, Seroquel, Seroquel, Diazepam, Seroquel, Diazepam, Diazepam, Diazepam, Diazepam, Tylenol, Tylenol, Tylenol, Vitamin C for a patient with Depression - Adolescents, Headache, Dyspepsia, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Insomnia Related To Another Mental Condition, Alcohol Withdrawal, Liver Function Test Abnormal. The patient has Modafinil Increasing Diazepam Effect Somewhat, Perhaps 10-20%(has To Do With Cyp2c19), Diazepam Is Getting Increased Effect From Modafinil 10-20%
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients are also considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.