Review: Victoza and Metformin drug interactions
This review analyzes the interactions between Victoza and Metformin. It is created by eHealthMe based on 2,247 people who have drug interactions while taking the drugs. The review uses reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
What are the drugs
Victoza (latest outcomes from 12,165 users) has active ingredients of liraglutide. It is often used in diabetes.
Metformin (latest outcomes from 100,457 users) has active ingredients of metformin hydrochloride. It is often used in diabetes.
On Mar, 1, 2014: 2,247 people who reported to have interactions when taking Victoza, Metformin are studied
Drug combinations in study:
- Victoza (liraglutide)
- Metformin (metformin hydrochloride)
Most common interactions experienced by people in the use of Victoza, Metformin:(click on each outcome to view in-depth analysis, incl. how people recovered)
|Interaction||Number of reports|
|Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit)||357|
|Decreased Appetite (decreased appetite occurs when you have a reduced desire to eat)||294|
|Blood Glucose Increased||211|
|Pancreatitis Acute (sudden inflammation of pancreas)||202|
|Pancreatitis (inflammation of pancreas)||196|
|Blood Glucose Decreased||85|
Most common interactions experienced by people in long term use of Victoza, Metformin:(click on each outcome to view in-depth analysis, incl. how people recovered)
|Interaction||Number of reports|
|Dyspnoea (difficult or laboured respiration)||18|
|Pancreatitis (inflammation of pancreas)||11|
|Pancreatitis Acute (sudden inflammation of pancreas)||11|
|Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit)||8|
|Pancreatic Carcinoma (pancreatic cancer)||7|
|Glycosylated Haemoglobin Increased||6|
How effective are the drugs:
|not at all||somewhat||moderate||high||very high|
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus
- Diabetes mellitus
- Blood cholesterol increased
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
You can also:
- Check symptoms: is your symptom caused by a drug or a condition?
- Write a review: share your experience
- Ask a question: ask patients like you a question
- Subscribe the study: get notified of updates
- Post a comment: or see what other people said about the study
Complete drug side effects:
On eHealthMe, Victoza (liraglutide) is often used to treat diabetes. Metformin (metformin hydrochloride) is often used to treat type 2 diabetes. Find out below the conditions the drugs are used for, how effective they are, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is the drug used for and how effective is it:
- Victoza is used in:
- Metformin is used in:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
- Victoza alternatives:
- Metformin alternatives:
Comments from related studies:
From this study (3 months ago):
From this study (4 months ago):
Over past 6+ years, hair has thinned by half.
stayed on metformin while in the hospital but took insulin instead of victoza. Symptoms cleared within 24 hours.
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
- By Jverry: I want to use victoza with lantus any one who is on this dual therapy what do you think?
My blood sugar is getting higher my last a1c was 7.5 i am currently taking lantus and humalog with bad results. When i was on victoza my blood sugar was much better i am considering using victoza with lantus any information would be greatly appreciated
- By vicevans: Does victoza cause anemia?
My husband has been taking Victoza foe close to a year now. He is a type 2 diabetic and needed help controlling his Arc and weight so his doctor prescribed victoza. We did not notice a big change in his usual symptoms except a bit more upset stomach than usual. It seemed to help with weight as it ...
- By Helen: Can metformin cause face pain ?
I have had face and jaw pain since starting to take Metformin. Also muscle pain and headaches. I am taking this drug for metabolic syndrome and wonder if it has lowered my blood sugar too much. I feel weird on it. This my 3rd week on it. I took half a pill with breakfast for 2 weeks and now am takin ...
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- By ctcrzy7: Spiriva caused me to swell up like a hippo.
My Doctor prescribed spiriva to help me breathe due to asthma/cold. I never smoked but my parents and friends were heavy smokers. I used the spiriva 3 times. Once a day for 3 days then I started swelling in my ankles and the swelling continued until my face, hands arms... basically I was so swollen ...
- By Louis: Hiccups with victoza in type ii diabetic patient
developed 48 hours of hiccups immediately after increasing dose of Victoza from 0.6 to 1.2mg and they resolved after discontinuation of drug for 48 hours
- By Win: Cymbalta and pulmonary embolisms
I started taking Cymbalta in August for pain. By September I was suffering from shortness of breath. Visited Doctors asking if Cymbalta could be the cause. Answer was no. By the end of September I was no longer taking Cymbalta but still suffering from shortness of breath. It was getting severe a ...
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Maxzide, Celebrex, Nexium, Victoza, Metformin for a patient with High Blood Pressure, Osteoarthritis Generalised, Gerd, Diabetes. The patient has Parotid Swelling
- A study of drug interactions between Evening Primrose Oil, Zeaxanthin, Lutein, Magnesium Orotate, Vitamin B12, Milk Thistle, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Biotin, Multivitamin, Melatonin, Red Cherry, Tart Cherry, CoQ-10, Fish Oil, Ibuprofen, Aspirin, Omeprazole, Metformin, Niaspan, Synthroid, Premarin, Victoza, Clonazepam, Clonidine, Cymbalta, Fenofibrate, Crestor for a patient with Eczema, Health, Heart Rate Irregular, Energy Increased, Liver Fatty, Antioxidant Therapy, Skin Disorder, Hair Disorder, Sleepy, Sinus Headache, Counteract Niaspan Effects, Heartburn, Type 2 Diabetes, Blood Cholesterol Increased, Hypothyroidism, Menopause Hot Flashes, Anxiety, Restlessness, Depression, Blood Triglycerides Increased, High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides. The patient has Diarrhea, Loss Of Hair (Hair loss)
- A study of drug interactions between Victoza, Metformin for a patient with Type 2 Diabetes. The patient has Numbness On One Side Of Face
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients are also considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.