What could cause Hypoglycaemia for a 88-year old woman?
This is a personalized study for a 88 year old female patient who has High blood pressure, Diabetes Mellitus. The study is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 16 female patients aged 88 (±5) who take the same drugs from FDA and social media.
What are the drugs
Atenolol (latest outcomes from 82,711 users) has active ingredients of atenolol. It is often used in high blood pressure.
Tolbutamide (latest outcomes from 495 users) has active ingredients of tolbutamide. It is often used in diabetes.
What are the conditions
High blood pressure (latest reports from 1,150,351 patients) can be treated by Lisinopril, Amlodipine Besylate, Atenolol, Metoprolol Tartrate, Norvasc, Diovan.
Diabetes mellitus (diabetes, caused by a deficiency of the pancreatic hormone insulin) (latest reports from 137,876 patients) can be treated by Metformin Hydrochloride, Metformin, Lantus, Januvia, Glipizide, Glucophage.
What is the symptom
Hypoglycaemia (deficiency of glucose in the bloodstream) (latest reports from 28,062 patients) has been reported by people with diabetes, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, depression, type 1 diabetes mellitus.
On Nov, 21, 2014: 16 females aged 83 (±5) who take Atenolol, Tolbutamide are studied
Information of the patient in this study:
Conditions: High blood pressure, Diabetes Mellitus
- Atenolol - 50MG (atenolol): used for 1 - 2 years
- Tolbutamide - 500MG (tolbutamide): used for < 1 month
eHealthMe real world results:
Comparison with this patient's adverse outcomes:
|Interaction||Number of reports on eHealthMe|
|Hypoglycaemia (deficiency of glucose in the bloodstream)||2 (12.50% of females aged 83 (±5) who take the drugs)|
(as an adverse outcome could be a symptom of a condition, additional studies are listed to help identify the cause: for example, regardless of which drug is taken, how many female HBP patients aged 50 (±5) have nausea)
|Symptom (click a symptom for in-depth analysis)||Number of reports on eHealthMe|
|Hypoglycaemia in High Blood Pressure||203 (1.26% of females aged 83 (±5) who have High blood pressure)|
|Hypoglycaemia in Diabetes Mellitus||241 (6.14% of females aged 83 (±5) who have Diabetes mellitus)|
(as an adverse outcome could be a side effect of a drug, additional studies are listed to help identify the cause: for example, how many female Aspirin users aged 50 (±5) have nausea)
|Side effect (click a side effect for in-depth analysis)||Number of reports on eHealthMe|
|Hypoglycaemia in Atenolol||31 (0.52% of females aged 83 (±5) who take Atenolol)|
|Hypoglycaemia in Tolbutamide||0 (0.00% of females aged 83 (±5) who take Tolbutamide)|
Drug effectiveness over time :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years||not specified|
|Atenolol is effective||n/a||n/a||n/a||0.00%|
(0 of 1 people)
|Tolbutamide is effective||100.00%|
(1 of 1 people)
Most common drug interactions over time * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years||not specified|
|Hypoglycaemia (deficiency of glucose in the bloodstream)||n/a||n/a||Hypoglycaemia (deficiency of glucose in the bloodstream)||n/a||n/a||n/a||Weight Decreased|
|Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit)|
|Acute Coronary Syndrome (acute chest pain and other symptoms that happen because the heart does not get blood)|
|Pulmonary Oedema (fluid accumulation in the lungs)|
|Device Related Infection|
|Chills (felling of cold)|
|Morganella Infection (infection by morganella morganii bacteria)|
* Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
You can also:
- Check your drugs or symptoms
- Subscribe the study: get notified of updates
- Post a comment: or see what other people said about the study
- Join a related mobile support group
You are not alone! Join a related mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Atenolol and have Hypoglycaemia
- support group for people who take Tolbutamide and have Hypoglycaemia
- support group for people who have Hypoglycaemia and High blood pressure
- support group for people who have Hypoglycaemia and Diabetes Mellitus
- support group for people who have Diabetes Mellitus
- support group for people who have High Blood Pressure
- support group for people who have Hypoglycaemia
- support group for people who take Atenolol
- support group for people who take Tolbutamide
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Is donepezil a "safe" drug for people with atrial-fib to take?
(Asked by a 89 year old woman who has Atrial Fib, and takes Coumadin, Zocor, Atenolol, Donepezil)
I was diagnosed with Atrial-Fib in 2006, soon after my husband died. I have no problems with it and my blood pressure is always normal. I am 89 years old and have been told that I look MUCH younger. I am very active- love dancing, which I am still able to do. My problem is that recently I found ...
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Amlo dipine and terazosin
(Posted by a 66 year old man who has High Blood Pressure, BPH, and takes Terazosin Hydrochloride, Amlodipine Besylate)
I have taken combination since 04/13 I have experienced ED lower testosterone and elevated PSA. Prior to that I was taking terazosin and hydrochorizide without any side effects. I stop taking the amlodipine during a juice fast and my PSA levels decreased when I stopped fasting and returned to taking ...
- Victoza and liver cancer (cholangiocarcinoma)
(Posted by a 59 year old man who has Anaemia Vitamin B12 Deficiency, Sleep Apnea, Hypertension, Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, Cholangiocarcinoma (liver Cancer), and takes Diovan, Atenolol, Metformin, Victoza)
My husband was recently diagnosed with stage 4 liver cancer after taking Victoza for several years. The doctor discontinued the Victoza when the cancer was diagnosed but he actually started feeling better after he stopped it until the cancer started progressing. Since cholangiocarcinoma nd pancreati ...
- Prednisone induced cushing's syndrome
(Posted by a 53 year old woman who has Steroid Myopathy, Osteopenia, Diabetes, Peripheral Neuropathy , Cushing's Syndrome - Steroid Induced, and takes Prednisone)
Prescribed Prednisone 20mg twice daily. Took for six weeks and developed weaken muscles and swollen face. Was hospitalized and informed I had severe Cushing's Syndrome. Host of problems included glucose over 400, inflammed pancreas, triglycerides over 4,000 and vision problems. Muscles were wast ...
- Had nms in 2005, will trileptal increase chance of recurrence?
(Posted by a 62 year old woman who has Narcolepsy, Prinzmetal's Angina , Antiphospholipid Syndrome, High Blood Pressure, Obsessive-compulsive Personality Disorder, Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome, Migraine With Aura, Herniated Intervertebral Disk, Osteoarthritis, Fibromyalgia, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Diabetes Mellitus Insulin-dependent, Bipolar I Disorder, and takes Benadryl, Baclofen, Plaquenil, Nitro-bid, Maxalt-mlt, Imitrex, Zofran Odt, Ms Contin, Clonidine, Amlodipine Besylate, Novolog Flexpen, Levemir Flexpen, Halcion, Valium, Primidone, Neurontin, Trileptal)
In 2005 I had NMS, which was not detected by my drs for 4 months. I'd been on Lexapro & Seroquel for 2 yrs, but was weaned from Lexapro & placed on Lamictal 3/05. Began getting low-grade fevers, which I was told were not caused by the Lamictal. I quit taking it anyway, fevers (along with uncontrolla ...
- Losartan potassium headaches
(Posted by a 34 year old man who has Headache, Hypertension, and takes Losartan Potassium)
I avoided going to the doctor for years and decided it was time to bite the bullet. The bullet bit back. High Blood pressure and cholesterol. Doc prescribed me 100mg Losartan Potassium right out of the gate. At 33 years old, this concerns me. I've been on it for about a week and have had a cons ...
Related drug interaction studies:
- Tolbutamide and Atenolol drug interactions (50 reports)
Drug effectiveness in real world:
- Atenolol for High Blood Pressure reported by 1,217 people (updated 7 hours ago)
In-depth study of side effects (who have it, when it happens and how):
- Hypoglycaemia (Hypoglycemia) in Atenolol reported by 631 people (updated 31 seconds ago)
- Hypoglycaemia (Hypoglycemia) in Tolbutamide reported by 12 people (updated 31 seconds ago)
In-depth study of symptoms:
- Hypoglycaemia (Hypoglycemia) in High Blood Pressure reported by 1,911 people (updated 10 seconds ago)
- Hypoglycaemia (Hypoglycemia) in Diabetes Mellitus reported by 3,141 people (updated 1 second ago)
Complete drug side effects:
- Diabetes Mellitus (72 drugs in 3,124 reports) (updated 3 hours ago)
- High Blood Pressure (243 drugs in 22,829 reports) (updated 7 hours ago)
Drugs associated with:
Conditions associated with:
Recent related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- A study of drug interactions between Plavix, Atenolol, Norvasc for a patient with Heart Disease. The patient has Megakaryocytes Abnormal, Erythropoiesis Abnormal, Md, Red Blood Cell Count
Comments: I currently have been diagnosed with bone marrow suppression or possibly MDS
- A study of drug interactions between Atenolol, Norvasc, Plavix for a patient with Heart Disease. The patient has Coronary Artery Disease
Comments: I have Coronary Heart Disease and currently developed a sever red blood cell count. Thus far, it appears that MDS may be the cause
- A study of side effects of Atenolol for a patient with Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia. The patient has Bladder Discomfort
Comments: bladder sore , irritated, bladder pain
- A study of drug interactions between Atenolol, Minocycline Hydrochloride for a patient with Slow Heart Beat, Rosacea. The patient has Weight Gain
Comments: I also take throxine somac zoloft
- A study of side effects of Atenolol for a patient with Hypertension. The patient has Pulse, Weakness
Comments: can no longer walk up steep hills since starting atnolol 50mg. Pulse dropped from 55bp to 42 bpm
Common symptoms:Women of age 60+ with High Blood Pressure:
- Blood pressure management (7,903 reports)
- Dizziness (6,429 reports)
- Nausea (5,580 reports)
- Breathing difficulty (5,200 reports)
- Weakness (4,824 reports)
- Fall (4,719 reports)
- Diarrhea (4,459 reports)
- Fatigue (4,318 reports)
- Hypotension (4,247 reports)
- Headache (3,796 reports)
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients are also considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.