Review: could Abilify cause Metabolic syndrome?
Summary: Metabolic syndrome is found among people who take Abilify, especially for people who are male, 40-49 old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Effexor, and have Depression.
We study 28,440 people who have side effects while taking Abilify from FDA and social media. Among them, 79 have Metabolic syndrome. Find out below who they are, when they have Metabolic syndrome and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Abilify and have Metabolic syndrome >>>
Abilify has active ingredients of aripiprazole. It is often used in depression. (latest outcomes from 30,194 Abilify users)
Metabolic syndrome (a combination of the medical disorders that, when occurring together, increase the risk of developing cardiovascular disease) has been reported by people with depression, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, high blood pressure, schizoaffective disorder. (latest reports from 1,106 Metabolic syndrome patients)
On Mar, 20, 2015: 28,440 people reported to have side effects when taking Abilify. Among them, 79 people (0.28%) have Metabolic Syndrome.
Time on Abilify when people have Metabolic syndrome * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Metabolic syndrome||0.00%||63.64%||9.09%||18.18%||9.09%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Metabolic syndrome when taking Abilify * :
|Metabolic syndrome||27.36%||72.64% |
Age of people who have Metabolic syndrome when taking Abilify * :
|Metabolic syndrome||0.00%||0.00%||3.09%||3.09%||11.34%||75.26%||7.22%||0.00% |
Severity of Metabolic syndrome when taking Abilify ** :
How people recovered from Metabolic syndrome ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Depression (53 people, 67.09%)
- Schizoaffective disorder (46 people, 58.23%)
- Metabolic syndrome (38 people, 48.10%)
- Bipolar disorder (30 people, 37.97%)
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus (20 people, 25.32%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Effexor (52 people, 65.82%)
- Risperidone (51 people, 64.56%)
- Mirtazapine (50 people, 63.29%)
- Duloxetine hydrochloride (48 people, 60.76%)
- Quetiapine (40 people, 50.63%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of abilify and metabolic syndrome on
Do you have Metabolic Syndrome while taking Abilify?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Abilify and have Metabolic Syndrome
- support group for people who take Abilify
- support group for people who have Metabolic Syndrome
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Lamotrigine, Aripiprazole for a 27-year old woman with Bipolar Disorder. The patient has Vaginal Bleeding Between Periods
- A study of drug interactions between Junel 1.5/30, Ferrous Fumarate, Abilify for a 20-year old woman with Birth Control, Iron Deficiency, Depression. The patient has High Blood Cholesterol, Iron Deficiency, Weight Gain
- A study of drug interactions between Zoloft, Lamictal, Abilify for a 56-year old woman with Anxiety, Depression, Bipolar. The patient has Belching, Swallowing Difficulty, Heartburn
- A study of side effects of Abilify for a 31-year old woman with Psychosis. The patient has Hair Loss
- A study of drug interactions between Antabuse, Clonidine, Strattera, Cymbalta, Abilify, Depakote for a 46-year old woman with Addiction, Hypertension, Add, Depression, Bipolar 1. The patient has Sleepiness - During The Day
Recent Abilify related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Abilify, Effexor, Lorazepam for a 29-year old man who has Schizophrenia, Paranoid Type
- Comparions of Saphris, Trileptal, Abilify for a 41-year old woman who has Bipolar
- Comparions of Trileptal, Abilify, Latuda for a 41-year old woman who has Bipolar
- Comparions of Lamictal, Abilify, Latuda for a 41-year old woman who has Bipolar
- Comparions of Klonopin, Trileptal, Cymbalta, Abilify for a 40-year old woman who has Bipolar 1
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.