Review: could Abilify cause Type 1 diabetes mellitus?
Summary: Type 1 diabetes mellitus is found among people who take Abilify, especially for people who are female, 40-49 old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Seroquel, and have Bipolar disorder.
We study 28,444 people who have side effects while taking Abilify from FDA and social media. Among them, 258 have Type 1 diabetes mellitus. Find out below who they are, when they have Type 1 diabetes mellitus and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Abilify and have Type 1 diabetes mellitus >>>
Abilify has active ingredients of aripiprazole. It is often used in depression. (latest outcomes from 30,207 Abilify users)
Type 1 diabetes mellitus
Type 1 diabetes mellitus has been reported by people with bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, hepatitis c. (latest reports from 7,319 Type 1 diabetes mellitus patients)
On Apr, 3, 2015: 28,444 people reported to have side effects when taking Abilify. Among them, 258 people (0.91%) have Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
Time on Abilify when people have Type 1 diabetes mellitus * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Type 1 diabetes mellitus||16.22%||18.92%||21.62%||16.22%||27.03%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Type 1 diabetes mellitus when taking Abilify * :
|Type 1 diabetes mellitus||54.90%||45.10% |
Age of people who have Type 1 diabetes mellitus when taking Abilify * :
|Type 1 diabetes mellitus||0.72%||0.36%||7.58%||13.36%||27.08%||40.07%||8.30%||2.53% |
Severity of Type 1 diabetes mellitus when taking Abilify ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Type 1 diabetes mellitus||0.00%||100.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Type 1 diabetes mellitus ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Type 1 diabetes mellitus||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Bipolar disorder (143 people, 55.43%)
- Depression (125 people, 48.45%)
- Schizophrenia (76 people, 29.46%)
- Sleep disorder (63 people, 24.42%)
- Anxiety (58 people, 22.48%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Seroquel (258 people, 100.00%)
- Risperdal (160 people, 62.02%)
- Zyprexa (125 people, 48.45%)
- Geodon (100 people, 38.76%)
- Depakote (78 people, 30.23%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of abilify and type 1 diabetes mellitus on
Do you have Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus while taking Abilify?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Abilify and have Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus
- support group for people who take Abilify
- support group for people who have Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Lexapro, Abilify for a 18-year old girl with Anxiety Disorder, Depression Suicidal. The patient has Ocd, Anxiety
- A study of side effects of Abilify for a 29-year old man with Depressive Symptom. The patient has Dreams - Bad, Restlessness
- A study of drug interactions between Sertraline, Abilify for a 51-year old woman with Major Depressive Disorder. The patient has Temperature Intolerance, Tremor, Anxiety, Headache, Back Pain - Nonspecific, Cervical Dystonia
- A study of side effects of Abilify for a 55-year old woman with Depression. The patient has Lower Blood Pressure
- A study of drug interactions between Effexor Xr, Abilify for a 38-year old woman with Depression, Mood Swings.
Recent Abilify related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Januvia, Glimepiride, Glucophage, Depakote, Abilify for a 45-year old woman who has Mental Disability
- Comparions of Abilify, Wellbutrin Xl, Prozac for a 33-year old man who has Depression
- Comparions of Abilify, Tenex, Focalin Xr for a 10-year old boy who has ADHD
- Comparions of Abilify, Geodon for a 29-year old man who has Schizophrenia, Paranoid Type
- Comparions of Saphris, Trileptal, Abilify for a 41-year old woman who has Bipolar
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.