Review: could Accutane cause Breast cancer?
Summary: Breast cancer is found among people who take Accutane, especially for people who are female, 30-39 old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Advil liqui-gels, and have Acne.
We study 27,799 people who have side effects while taking Accutane from FDA and social media. Among them, 22 have Breast cancer. Find out below who they are, when they have Breast cancer and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Accutane and have Breast cancer >>>
Accutane has active ingredients of isotretinoin. It is often used in acne. (latest outcomes from Accutane 28,348 users)
Breast cancer has been reported by people with hormone replacement therapy, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, menopausal symptoms, osteoporosis.(latest reports from Breast cancer 76,303 patients)
On Nov, 25, 2014: 27,792 people reported to have side effects when taking Accutane. Among them, 34 people (0.12%) have Breast Cancer.
Time on Accutane when people have Breast cancer * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Breast cancer||0.00%||79.31%||17.24%||3.45%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Breast cancer when taking Accutane * :
|Breast cancer||100.00%||0.00% |
Age of people who have Breast cancer when taking Accutane * :
|Breast cancer||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||37.50%||43.75%||15.62%||3.12%||0.00% |
Severity of Breast cancer when taking Accutane ** :
How people recovered from Breast cancer ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Acne (13 people, 38.24%)
- Pain (12 people, 35.29%)
- Acne cystic (3 people, 8.82%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Advil liqui-gels (9 people, 26.47%)
- Tylenol (7 people, 20.59%)
- Advil (3 people, 8.82%)
- Tylenol-500 (2 people, 5.88%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Breast Cancer while taking Accutane?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Accutane and have Breast Cancer
- support group for people who take Accutane
- support group for people who have Breast Cancer
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- I am about to embark on starting roaccutane treatment but worried about the interaction of taking aciclovir with it. (1 answer)
(Asked by a 36 year old woman who has 6th Grade Late Acne & Herpes Simplex & Fibromyalgia, and takes Raspberry Ketone, Acyclovir, Accutane)
I am worried about the interaction of the two drugs any advice or shares symptoms MUCH appreciated. Which were the main side effects that have been of particular concern?... There are loads, I know... But if there is a positive end result, I may be able to hand in there through the tough side effects? Any feedback or warnings would be super thank you!!!
- Does femara affect crp results?
(Asked by a 69 year old woman who has Cancer - Breast, and takes Femara)
Does femara affect the results of the C Reactive Protein test? I have been on it for two years and have side effects of joint pain and hot flashes with nausea.
- Can isotrenoin cause sebaceous cyst?
(Asked by a 24 year old woman who has I Got Sebaceous Cyst On Ma Back After Taking Isotrenoin For A Year And A Half, and takes Accutane)
I used isotrenoin 10 mg and tufacne 2mg one aftr the other for almost a period of two and half years...my acne problem was solved but I ws left wid a painful sebaceous cyst...initially it was a painless boil...then I suddenly realised that it is growing in size....finally i had to get it operated.
- Breast cancer of former norplant users (1 answer)
(Asked by a 47 year old woman who has Breast Cancer, and takes Norplant)
Patients who had a norplant that developed breast cancer after it's removal. I know of 3 young women who have aggressive breast cancer and they all had norplant at some point.
- Has anyone had hair loss due to accutane that was taken 10 or so years ago?
(Asked by a 43 year old woman who has Hair Loss, and takes Accutane)
Started extreme shedding in 2001 when I took Accutane
Gradual increase in hair thinning
Now hair is 1/4 of original; could Accutane continue to cause hair loss after 10 years
More questions for: Accutane, Breast cancer
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Victoza and breast cancer
(Posted by a 44 year old woman who has Breast Cancer, and takes Victoza)
I took victoza for about 1 year. I have no history of breast cancer 9 my family.
- Muscle weakness while on accutane
(Posted by a 30 year old woman who has Swelling Of The Ankles - Feet - Legs, Skin Hyperpigmentation, Lips - Chapped And Dry, Muscle Fatigue - Muscle Weakness - Strength In Legs And Arms Weaker)
I began taking Accutane end of 2013 and I'm just now finishing up my medication.
During the first month I noticed my hands swelling up, but I also noticed my knuckles lightened.
Where I considered my elbows to be ashy, the color lightened up and the skin became smooth. My body retained water and my skin looked like it had a glow.
My 2nd month it continued, the swelling only became prevalent during my 7 day period.
My nails, hair, and turnover of my skin increased by month 3+4
By month 5 my old hyper pigmentation had surfaced and my cystic acne, dissolved.
I was on depression medication, this is advised against, but I discussed with doctor to do a patient override. I had no issues with depression, or the medication making me feel anymore depressed at all. In fact, I continued on with absolutely no issues. I did notice one negative factor. This was more specific for me. I returned to do dancing again after being away from it in College years ago. My muscle density is already far less, but I pushed through and was able to gain strength. However, during the last few months (3-6) the Accutane did affect me strength.my muscles were fatigued far earlier than before and my strength/core balance felt less sustainable for long periods.
I have been given a hydroquinoin (sp?) cream @ 4% to help with the melasma/hyper pigmentation, however I may need laser to have my skin tone and complexion return to a more suitable color.
Overall, I'm happy with my cystic acne being gone. It was worth taking Tis and worked for that purpose.
- Blighted ovum after accutane
(Posted by a 37 year old woman who has Blighted Ovum, and takes Accutane)
I took Accutane in my late 20's for almost 6 month's. I already had 3 healthy children with uncomplicated pregnancies. Never a miscarriage or any gynecological issues. Now at 36, I have had 2 blighted ovum's back to back. Not sure if Accutane could have been a contributing factor but something young women should consider before taking this medication.
- Accutane induced chronic constipation (1 response)
(Posted by a 19 year old girl who has Chronic Constipation, and takes Accutane)
Took accutane for 5 months in 2010. Have severe constipation since then. Nothing works except massive dose of mag citrate at least once per week. Anyone have same experience & found a treatment that works?
- Accutane made me impotent (1 response)
(Posted by a 61 year old man who has Impotence, and takes Accutane)
I am a 61 year old male who was prescribed Accutane at the age of 58 by my ophthalmologist to speed in the healing of my retina from a retinal detachment. It did me absolutely no good whatsoever in that regard and actually caused me to have permanent impotence. My problem started at the exact same time that I started the Accutane. This is a nightmarish drug. Do not give it to your children for acne or any other reason. It will ruin their lives. There is no known cure.
More reviews for: Accutane, Breast cancer
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- I am lebanese and i am 17 years old.I started curacne in mid octobre(2013) and got diagnosed with diabetes type 1 in decembre( and i am now living with it. I believe curacne caused it. Did it cause it and is there a way to reverse it or i am stuck with it for all my life?
- Had 2 boils/abscesses 3 weeks ago, one had to be drained. Stopped tablets for 2 weeks. Now huge abscess had to be drained under general anaesthetic yesterday along with 5 or 6 other small ones. No lab results back yet.
- Is it because i had sex? What may be the reason behind this and before though the mensturation was late there was the flow of blood. I consulted with the gynocologist and found that I have PCOS so what may be reson for nt having normal periods?
- I was on accutane for 4 months. My acne pretty much vanished. I've been off of it for over two years now and I've started to develop ankle pain when I wake up in the mornings sometimes and didn't know if I can still get side effects after being off of it for this long.
- I have not had sex in a pretty long time and in between that time I have not experienced any complication with urinating after my last partner. Before all of this I have been tested and I am good to go. The girl I was with recently is also clean and we used condoms. At first I thought it might be a ...
More related studies for: Accutane, Breast cancer
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.