Review: could Accutane cause Diabetes?
Summary: Diabetes is found among people who take Accutane, especially for people who are female, 10-19 old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Asacol, and have Autoimmune hepatitis.
We study 27,799 people who have side effects while taking Accutane from FDA and social media. Among them, 91 have Diabetes. Find out below who they are, when they have Diabetes and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Accutane and have Diabetes >>>
Accutane has active ingredients of isotretinoin. It is often used in acne. (latest outcomes from Accutane 28,348 users)
Diabetes has been reported by people with depression, bipolar disorder, high blood pressure, schizophrenia, stress and anxiety.(latest reports from Diabetes 130,137 patients)
On Nov, 29, 2014: 27,792 people reported to have side effects when taking Accutane. Among them, 54 people (0.19%) have Diabetes.
Time on Accutane when people have Diabetes * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Diabetes when taking Accutane * :
Age of people who have Diabetes when taking Accutane * :
Severity of Diabetes when taking Accutane ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Diabetes ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Autoimmune hepatitis (37 people, 68.52%)
- Acne (25 people, 46.30%)
- Acne cystic (2 people, 3.70%)
- Headache (1 people, 1.85%)
- Rhinitis (1 people, 1.85%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Asacol (43 people, 79.63%)
- Ortho tri-cyclen (43 people, 79.63%)
- Tegretol (42 people, 77.78%)
- Demerol (42 people, 77.78%)
- Imuran (42 people, 77.78%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Diabetes while taking Accutane?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Accutane and have Diabetes
- support group for people who take Accutane
- support group for people who have Diabetes
Recent conversations of related support groups:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- I am about to embark on starting roaccutane treatment but worried about the interaction of taking aciclovir with it.
(Asked by a 36 year old woman who has 6th Grade Late Acne & Herpes Simplex & Fibromyalgia, and takes Raspberry Ketone, Acyclovir, Accutane)
I am worried about the interaction of the two drugs any advice or shares symptoms MUCH appreciated. Which were the main side effects that have been of particular concern?... There are loads, I know... But if there is a positive end result, I may be able to hand in there through the tough side effect ...
- Could prilosec cause an elevated blood sugar
(Asked by a 64 year old woman who has DIABETES, and takes Metformin, Prilosec)
I've been on Prilosec for about 1 month & my blood sugars have been elevated starting shortly after I started on it. could Prilosec be causing it? Nothing else has changed with my meds or lifestyle.
- Dabigatran,rivaroxaban, apixaban (eliquis) or aspirin - which is most suitable for a patient with af (atrial fibrilation), left subdural hematoma, right ischemic stroke with hemorehagic transformation
(Asked by a 82 year old woman who has Thyroid Disorder, Ischemic CVA Stroke With Hemorrhagic Transformation, Chronic Subdural Hematoma (Left), High Blood Pressure, Diabetes, Atrial Fibrillation)
My grandmother have Atrial Fibrillation (AF) and suffered a ischemic CVA stroke with hemorrhagic transformation on right brain this week. She also had left sudural hematoma for some time now, due to which Asprin (ecospirin-75) that she was taking because of her AF was stopped and I believe that stop ...
- Will the herb hca in garcinia cambogia cause liver damage or in cases be fatal
(Asked by a 53 year old woman who has Diabetes, Hypothyroidism, and takes Janumet)
I take synthroid once a day for my diabetes im on insulin at bedtime and the janumet twice daily. will the garcinia cambogia xt interfere with my meds. also I read from a consumers on health that the HCA in the supplement could damage the liver and in one was fatal. do yu think I should be taking t ...
- Can isotrenoin cause sebaceous cyst?
(Asked by a 24 year old woman who has I Got Sebaceous Cyst On Ma Back After Taking Isotrenoin For A Year And A Half, and takes Accutane)
I used isotrenoin 10 mg and tufacne 2mg one aftr the other for almost a period of two and half years...my acne problem was solved but I ws left wid a painful sebaceous cyst...initially it was a painless boil...then I suddenly realised that it is growing in size....finally i had to get it operated.
More questions for: Accutane, Diabetes
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Prednisone induced cushing's syndrome
(Posted by a 53 year old woman who has Steroid Myopathy, Osteopenia, Diabetes, Peripheral Neuropathy , Cushing's Syndrome - Steroid Induced, and takes Prednisone)
Prescribed Prednisone 20mg twice daily. Took for six weeks and developed weaken muscles and swollen face. Was hospitalized and informed I had severe Cushing's Syndrome. Host of problems included glucose over 400, inflammed pancreas, triglycerides over 4,000 and vision problems. Muscles were wast ...
- Muscle weakness while on accutane
(Posted by a 30 year old woman who has Swelling Of The Ankles - Feet - Legs, Skin Hyperpigmentation, Lips - Chapped And Dry, Muscle Fatigue - Muscle Weakness - Strength In Legs And Arms Weaker)
I began taking Accutane end of 2013 and I'm just now finishing up my medication.
During the first month I noticed my hands swelling up, but I also noticed my knuckles lightened.
Where I considered my elbows to be ashy, the color lightened up and the skin became smooth. My body retained water and ...
- Blighted ovum after accutane
(Posted by a 37 year old woman who has Blighted Ovum, and takes Accutane)
I took Accutane in my late 20's for almost 6 month's. I already had 3 healthy children with uncomplicated pregnancies. Never a miscarriage or any gynecological issues. Now at 36, I have had 2 blighted ovum's back to back. Not sure if Accutane could have been a contributing factor but something yo ...
- Accutane induced chronic constipation (1 response)
(Posted by a 19 year old girl who has Chronic Constipation, and takes Accutane)
Took accutane for 5 months in 2010. Have severe constipation since then. Nothing works except massive dose of mag citrate at least once per week. Anyone have same experience & found a treatment that works?
- Accutane made me impotent (1 response)
(Posted by a 61 year old man who has Impotence, and takes Accutane)
I am a 61 year old male who was prescribed Accutane at the age of 58 by my ophthalmologist to speed in the healing of my retina from a retinal detachment. It did me absolutely no good whatsoever in that regard and actually caused me to have permanent impotence. My problem started at the exact same ...
More reviews for: Accutane, Diabetes
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Potassium Gluconate, Butrans, Androgel, Viibryd, Livalo, Tribenzor, Nexium, Metformin, Lantus, Atenolol, Lovaza, Allopurinol for a patient with General Physical Health Deterioration, General Physical Condition, Muscle Weakness, Pain, Testosterone, Depression, High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides, High Blood Pressure, Gerd, Diabetes, High Blood Cholesterol, High Blood Sugar, Gout. The patient has Diabetes Mellitus, Erectile Dysfunction, Peripheral Neuropathy
Comments: Concern about allopurinol having exacerbated peripheral neuropathy
Also concerned about drugs and their interactions causing ED if I stop taking blood pressure meds incidence of ED is reduced considerably.
- A study of drug interactions between Methamphetamine Hydrochloride, Strattera, Ritalin, Phentermine, Amitriptyline Hydrochloride, Zorvolex, Olanzapine, Seroquel Xr, Propranolol Hydrochloride, Perindopril Erbumine, Lamotrigine, Mirtazapine for a patient with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Obesity, Insomnia, Arthritis, Generalised Anxiety Disorder. The patient has Bipolar 1, Major Depressive Disorder, Tachycardia, Sleeplessness, Diabetes, Obesity, Attention Deficit/hyperactivity Disorder, Insomnia, Generalised Anxiety Disorder
Comments: i'm pretty much the most comlex case 4 psychiatrists, 3 psychologists, a nuero scientist/adult mood disorder specialised doctor, 3 gp's, 2 naturopaths and an adhd specialist have ever come accross. i'm basically a pharmacy on legs with over 32types of medications tried in 13 months including those i ...
- A study of side effects of Accutane for a patient with Acne. The patient has Type 1 Diabetes
Comments: I am lebanese and i am 17 years old.I started curacne in mid octobre(2013) and got diagnosed with diabetes type 1 in decembre( and i am now living with it. I believe curacne caused it. Did it cause it and is there a way to reverse it or i am stuck with it for all my life?
- A study of side effects of Accutane for a patient with Acne Vulgaris. The patient has Abscess (pus)
Comments: Had 2 boils/abscesses 3 weeks ago, one had to be drained. Stopped tablets for 2 weeks. Now huge abscess had to be drained under general anaesthetic yesterday along with 5 or 6 other small ones. No lab results back yet.
- A study of side effects of Sotret for a patient with Acne. The patient has Sensation Of Blood Flow
Comments: Is it because i had sex? What may be the reason behind this and before though the mensturation was late there was the flow of blood. I consulted with the gynocologist and found that I have PCOS so what may be reson for nt having normal periods?
More related studies for: Accutane, Diabetes
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.