Review: could Acetaminophen cause Joint swelling?
Summary: Joint swelling is found among people who take Acetaminophen, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Aspirin, and have Rheumatoid arthritis.
We study 69,438 people who have side effects while taking Acetaminophen from FDA and social media. Among them, 378 have Joint swelling. Find out below who they are, when they have Joint swelling and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Acetaminophen and have Joint swelling >>>
Acetaminophen has active ingredients of acetaminophen. It is often used in pain. (latest outcomes from Acetaminophen 70,707 users)
Joint swelling has been reported by people with rheumatoid arthritis, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, pain, high blood cholesterol.(latest reports from Joint swelling 23,725 patients)
On Nov, 29, 2014: 69,438 people reported to have side effects when taking Acetaminophen. Among them, 378 people (0.54%) have Joint Swelling.
Time on Acetaminophen when people have Joint swelling * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Joint swelling||41.18%||5.88%||0.00%||29.41%||23.53%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Joint swelling when taking Acetaminophen * :
|Joint swelling||62.15%||37.85% |
Age of people who have Joint swelling when taking Acetaminophen * :
|Joint swelling||0.00%||0.90%||3.29%||5.99%||7.19%||19.46%||16.47%||46.71% |
Severity of Joint swelling when taking Acetaminophen ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Joint swelling||0.00%||0.00%||100.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Joint swelling ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Joint swelling||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Rheumatoid arthritis (52 people, 13.76%)
- Pain (42 people, 11.11%)
- Multiple myeloma (20 people, 5.29%)
- Hypertension (19 people, 5.03%)
- Crohn's disease (17 people, 4.50%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (104 people, 27.51%)
- Zometa (65 people, 17.20%)
- Omeprazole (59 people, 15.61%)
- Folic acid (57 people, 15.08%)
- Prednisone (52 people, 13.76%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
Comments for this study:
Randall Long (2 years ago):
Have a failed lower back fusion and been on low dose hydrocodone for 7 years. Last 3 years I have to have cortizone injections in my knees, and now the xrays shows bone to bone in my shoulder, Doc says its beyond cortizone and gives a numbing injections. Need a shoulder replacement. Is it from long term use of the pain meds or caffeine ?
In fairly good shape, not overweight. Thanks R.Long
Reply the comment
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Joint Swelling while taking Acetaminophen?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Acetaminophen and have Joint Swelling
- support group for people who take Acetaminophen
- support group for people who have Joint Swelling
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Can a drug test result return positive for amphetamine using 500mg tylenol extra strength
(Asked by a 57 year old man who has Headache, and takes Tylenol)
Can a drug test result return positive for amphetamine using 500mg tylenol extra strength?
- Can unexplained hypertension be cause by a partial thyroidectomy?
(Asked by a 50 year old man who has BP 135/77 Even After Increasing Meds, and takes Acetaminophen, Fluticasone Propionate, Allegra D 24 Hour, Nexium, Valsartan, Metoprolol Succinate, Amlodipine Besylate)
Doc is trying to figure out why the BP suddenly spiked. I started an exercise regimen after a stress test. I had to be on Metoprolol just to pass the test. Results were no heart-related issues. Lost 6lbs. since starting exercise and don't know if this is Thyroidal or not. No discussion with the doc yet of whether this is related to the thyroidectomy of the past.
- Does zoloft cause ringing in the ears, like tinnitus? i've been on it for a month and noticed the ringing in the ears about a week ago, and it's just constant ringing and it's driving me insane. (1 answer)
(Asked by a 24 year old man who has Ringing In The Ears, and takes Dicyclomine Hydrochloride, Benadryl, Tylenol, Lialda, Azathioprine, Prednisone, Ambien, Zoloft)
I've been on most of the medications for more than a year and it hasn't been that bad getting used to them. But I've been on Zoloft and ambien for about a month now, and I've been noticing a lot of side effects. The one I just recently noticed and that has been driving me completely insane, is the ringing in the ears. It's been about a week now and I just don't know what to do anymore. If it is the Zoloft then I can finally just stop taking it and make this stop. If anyone has an answer or knows what to do, PLEASE help. I'm at my wits end.
- Can long-term methadone use cause or increase the risk of colon cancer?
(Asked by a 57 year old man who has Chronic Pain, Failed Back Surgery Syndrome, and takes Fluticasone Propionate, Finasteride, Doxazosin Mesylate, Acetaminophen, Trazodone Hydrochloride, Butrans, Sertraline, Omeprazole, Simvastatin, Triamterene And Hydrochlorothiazide, Naproxen, Aspirin, Polyethylene Glycol 3350, Senna, Colace, Methadone Hydrochloride)
I had a two-level spinal fusion at L4-S1 in 2000 after being injuried at work in Sept. 24, 1997. I lost everything after...the unjury, ability to do my job, my wife and family (couldn't take the strain) my home, my sense of self and purpose, direction and belonging...credit rating and ability to pay my bills.
After a long period of waiting to settle my workmens' comp. case, I returned home, from the Bat Area back to Arizona to take of my mother with a yet un dianosed case of moderate dementia.
Then, in 2011 I had a 2nd surgery to relieve spinal stenosis btwn. L2-L4, just above the fusion site.
I've been taking methadone since early 2004, a little over ten years, now. I've had high blood pressure since my injury.
Now, I waiting to be scheduled for a colonoscopy, with my father having had polyps and the way I've been feeling..drained, tired all the time, and stomach pains ( in addition to my chronic low back pain), I...
find myself wondering if there is any relationtionship between the methadone and other meds and cancer?
- Is it safe to take effexor and ibuprophen?
(Asked by a 61 year old woman who has High Blood Cholesterol, Diabetes Mellitus Non Insulin-dependent, Sinusitis, Generalised Anxiety Disorder, and takes Venlafaxine Hydrochloride, Levocetirizine Dihydrochloride, Doxycycline, Alprazolam, Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen, Tradjenta, Crestor)
Have sinus infection which I'm taking doxycycline and ibuprophen for headache. I also take Venlafaxine for GAD. Is it okay to take Advil or acetaminophen while taking venlafaxine, not at the same time??
More questions for: Acetaminophen, Joint swelling
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Finasteride and knee swelling
(Posted by a 43 year old man who has Knee Swelling, and takes Finasteride)
taken finasteride 1 mg since 5 years, knee swelling both sides since 1,5 years. MRT without pathologic findings. stopped finasteride since 3 weeks. No more Knee swelling.
- Bone pain localized to poison ivy rash
(Posted by a 41 year old woman who has Itching, Swelling, Inflammation Localised, Bone Pain Or Tenderness, Poison Ivy - Oak - Sumac Rash, and takes Neem Oil, Rhus Tox, Acetaminophen, Aleve)
I am having a moderate to strong reaction to poison ivy exposure. I have a localized rash with blistering, swelling and inflammation similar to cellulitis. The rash has been progressing for about a week. The blisters are not weeping or oozing. The area is cleaned daily with neem oil soap. Coincident with the rash, I have a persistent ache/pain in my lower forearm, wrist and hand that is responding weakly to Aleve and pretty much unresponsive to acetaminophen.
- Xanax bed wetting will it stop and do i wear diapers or die (1 response)
(Posted by a 48 year old man who has Bedwetting, Confusion, Bone And Joint Pain, Adjustment Disorder With Mixed Anxiety And Depressed Mood, Depression Suicidal, Backaches And Stress, and takes Xanax, Acetaminophen, Wellbutrin, Methadone Hydrochloride, Norco)
I am on the very edge of crazy. So starting this is pushing ne way over. I'm 49 for crap sakes. I am so tired of the pain in my body and I am just tired, this is the last slap I can't anymore. Naturally alcohol I am sure is just about the end game along with cuts.
Just want to bleed out and not hurt anymore and be so scared to leave my house or sleep. I just want to sleep forever.
- Joint swelling in my hands
(Posted by a 49 year old woman who has Joint Swelling, and takes Glimepiride, Invokana)
I have only been taking Invokana for almost 3 weeks, I have noticed joint swelling in my hands which did not occur 3 weeks ago when I was taking Glimepiride. While taking the Glimepiride I noticed that my ankles and feet hurt after sitting for a while or when I woke up. Has anyone else noticed these symptoms?
- Penicillin vk induced drowsiness
(Posted by a 28 year old man who has Pain - Ear, and takes Acetaminophen, Penicillin-vk)
I have been taking Penicillin VK and Acetaminophen for a severe pain I had been feeling in my ear. It's been 48 hours since I started taking them. Within the first 24 hours the pain had calmed down and I was feeling normal. However, since day 2 started, I have been feeling really drowsy. I keep falling asleep with no reason or desire to sleep. I just wanted to put this side effect out there for anyone else who might be feeling the same.
I am a male, 28years old, athletic build, 6 foot.
More reviews for: Acetaminophen, Joint swelling
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- Bleeding symptoms reduce when off medication for nearly a week. Blood clot type content in loose stool (liquid). blood ranges from very dark to bright in same movement. Amount of blood is concern. There is pain and firm area in between upper pelvic and lower abdomen area that disappears after moveme ...
- living in Thailand in the rainy season, also known to have dengue fever on the island. I have had a fever muscle aches and pains, headaches, head cold, runny stomach, nausea, loss of appetite and now four days later sever pain in my kidneys... Very painful to walk stand or sit.
- the joint pain isn't as bad as the swelling!!! its been random & moves from joint to joint...my hands & fingers more severe...ive never had these symptoms before!! my doctor has run RA panels, MS panels etc...waiting on results!! started me on Mobic.....absolutely cant tell ive taken anything...no s ...
- Diagnosed with Gout about 5 weeks ago,Prescribed Indomethacin but little relief.Feelings of electrical shocks have now started.Researched and my symptoms seem to be more in line with Peripheral Neuropathy than Gout.Have found that Indomethacin contributes to P.N Pain.
- Doctors stated that the rash is benign but it has been itchy for over 5 days. Pains subsided after 2 days of taking the Panadeine F. I suspect that I may have been allergic to some ingredient in the panadeine as my eyes would itch and water a few minutes after taking the tablet. I have not treat the ...
More related studies for: Acetaminophen, Joint swelling
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.