Review: could Acyclovir cause Upset stomach (Nausea and vomiting)?
Summary: Upset stomach is found among people who take Acyclovir, especially for people who are female, 20-29 old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Prilosec, and have Shingles.
We study 542 people who have side effects while taking Acyclovir from FDA and social media. Among them, 7 have Upset stomach. Find out below who they are, when they have Upset stomach and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Acyclovir and have Upset stomach >>>
Acyclovir has active ingredients of acyclovir. It is often used in herpes simplex. (latest outcomes from Acyclovir 1,284 users)
Upset stomach has been reported by people with pain, type 2 diabetes, depression, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis.(latest reports from Upset stomach 142,363 patients)
On Dec, 3, 2014: 542 people reported to have side effects when taking Acyclovir. Among them, 6 people (1.11%) have Upset Stomach.
Time on Acyclovir when people have Upset stomach * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Upset stomach||50.00%||25.00%||0.00%||25.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Age of people who have Upset stomach when taking Acyclovir * :
|Upset stomach||0.00%||0.00%||16.67%||33.33%||0.00%||16.67%||16.67%||16.67% |
Severity of Upset stomach when taking Acyclovir ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Upset stomach||25.00%||50.00%||25.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Upset stomach ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Shingles (2 people, 33.33%)
- Infection (1 people, 16.67%)
- Complicated migraine (1 people, 16.67%)
- Viral infection (1 people, 16.67%)
- Cellulitis (1 people, 16.67%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Prilosec (2 people, 33.33%)
- Potassium chloride (2 people, 33.33%)
- Cymbalta (1 people, 16.67%)
- Ativan (1 people, 16.67%)
- Omeprazole (1 people, 16.67%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Upset Stomach while taking Acyclovir?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Acyclovir and have Upset Stomach
- support group for people who take Acyclovir
- support group for people who have Upset Stomach
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- I am about to embark on starting roaccutane treatment but worried about the interaction of taking aciclovir with it.
(Asked by a 36 year old woman who has 6th Grade Late Acne & Herpes Simplex & Fibromyalgia, and takes Raspberry Ketone, Acyclovir, Accutane)
I am worried about the interaction of the two drugs any advice or shares symptoms MUCH appreciated. Which were the main side effects that have been of particular concern?... There are loads, I know... But if there is a positive end result, I may be able to hand in there through the tough side effect ...
- Can acyclovir cause shortness of breath?
(Asked by a 59 year old woman who has Meniere's Disease, and takes Acyclovir)
I have tried acyclovir and valtrex 3x now with the same feeling or shortness of breath, My peak flow and sats are fine. I have asthma and allergies
- Is vomiting all liquids common while taking morphine
(Asked by a 29 year old man who has Vomiting, and takes Morphine)
I Recently started taking 6mg of Hydro-Morphine per day for pain. Every time i take the drug i vomit up any liquids I drink. i fell just fine without anything in my stomach but as soon as i eat or drink I instantly become nauseated and vomit everything. It is hard not to drink because the drug is ma ...
- Cold sore won't go away...
(Asked by a 50 year old woman who has Swollen Lip, Pimple Like Bumps, and takes Acyclovir)
First cold sore experience. Thought it was a pimple and squeezed it. Swelled up, blistered, spread below my nose, about 4 or 5 bumps, scab fell off and remained pink and swollen and didn't go away or blistered. gone thru 2 bottles of tea tree oil. finally put bleach on it and that made it burn a ...
- My dr. prescribed me phergan. how common is weight gain on this drug?
(Asked by a 31 year old woman who has Nausea And Vomiting, and takes Phenergan)
A Dr. prescribed me Phenergan and Potassium CL ER today. I read online that Phenergan can cause weight gain. Have any of you been on Phenergan, and if so have you experiences any weight gain or other symptoms I should be made aware of? Thank you in advance.
More questions for: Acyclovir, Upset stomach
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Ranexa and erectile dysfunction
(Posted by a 67 year old man who has Metabolic Syndrome, Aortic Valve Replacement, Coronary Artery Disease, and takes Nitrostat, Acyclovir, Gabapentin, Hytrin, Metformin, Aspirin, Isosorbide Mononitrate, Ranexa, Hydrochlorothiazide, Carvedilol, Losartan Potassium)
I have experienced moderate ED with taking multiple heart and NO meds. This has been manageable and acceptable. Cardiologist added Ranexa (Ranalozine) 3 weeks ago and I am now experiencing complete erectile and ejaculatory failure.
- Nausea and vomiting while taking savella
(Posted by a 42 year old woman who has Nausea And Vomiting, and takes Savella)
I have been on Savella for 6 months now and the nausea has increased with time and now I also have vomiting daily along with occasional diarrhea. I am currently weaning off of the Savella, cutting the dosage in half for two weeks and then one pill every other day for two weeks, following my dr.'s in ...
- Farxiga ? problems, stomach, smell, taste
(Posted by a 61 year old man who has Stomach Upset, Smell - Impaired, and takes Farxiga)
I have been on Farxiga for 2 months. First, I was on Farxiga 5mg, About 6 weeks ago changed to 10 mg, about same time I noticed my coffee smelled different and bad, kept on a week and asked my wife. Changed coffee brand twice. It got worse, began to taste it. For the last week I can smell it in my f ...
- Anyone else experiencing these rare & unbearable side effects from shingles treatment?
(Posted by a 43 year old woman who has Congenital Varicella Syndrome, Suppressed Immune System Due To Primary Complement Deficiency, Chronic Shingles, and takes Valacyclovir, Valtrex, Acyclovir)
The very day I start treatment I can't stop needing to urinate, can't sleep, and get very shaky and/or have tremors. My BUN/Creatinine levels only become abnormal immediately after I start taking the medication. Nothing helps the insomnia or restlessness.
I've had an active Shingles infection for ...
- Shingles is a terrible experience
(Posted by a 77 year old woman who has Lesions On L Back And Underarm, and takes Acyclovir)
Wednesday: broke out under arm and on left back. Severe Sharp stabbing pin under arm and thru left breast. Had just had a small cancer removed from right ear and pain was similar, so I thought it might be a cancer so
Friday: went to doctor was told it was Shingles was given Acyclovir. Told to us ...
More reviews for: Acyclovir, Upset stomach
- A study of drug interactions between Aleve, Wellbutrin Xl for a patient with Joint Pain, Depression. The patient has Nausea And Vomiting
Comments: severe nausea and vomiting when take aleve for arthritus/joint pain, no longer take aleve, take advil instead. never experienced nausea and vomiting while taking wellbutrin and occaisionally taking advil for pain
- A study of drug interactions between Sertraline, Acyclovir, Ropinirole Hydrochloride, Onfi for a patient with Depression, Oral Herpes, Bursitis, Epilepsy. The patient has Leakage When Cough, Sneeze, Exercise, Laugh, Difficult To Urinate At Times., Overactive Bladder
Comments: I have had overactive bladder for over eight years, but it is getting worse. I go to the bathroom at least 9-10 times a night. I usually go at least once every hour. Now I am having some resistance when I try to urinate. I have to bend over and push hard to get all the urine out of my bladder. T ...
- A study of drug interactions between Sprintec, Escitalopram, Vyvanse, Lisinopril And Hydrochlorothiazide for a patient with Birth Control, Sleeping Difficulty, Add, Blood Pressure. The patient has Pelvic Pain, Vomiting, Hot Flashes
Comments: Generally happens every couple of mnths has now moved to mnthly and las two episodes were within 2 weeks of each other. Oct 12-13& oct31-nov 1. I believe pain to be mittleschmirtz the hot flashes and vomiting just started within the last year.
- A study of side effects of Acyclovir for a patient with Shingles. The patient has Blisters (small pockets of fluid within the upper layers of the skin caused by forceful rubbing (friction), burning, freezing, chemical exposure), Burn From The Sun
Comments: While taking Acyclovir for 4 days notice my skin was getting red and swollen with rashes all over my neck and chest. Stop the use of the medication but the symptoms got worst and after 2 months off the medication I still get sun rash if expose to the sun for a few minutes.
- A study of drug interactions between Ziprasidone Hydrochloride, Risperidone, Lamictal for a patient with Bipolar Disorder. The patient has Lower Blood Pressure, Irritability, Weight Loss, Nausea And Vomiting, Dry Mouth, Back Pain, Stomach Pain
Comments: I also have been having greasy stools. I never took any of the above listed medications together. I was allergic to both lamictal and risperidone. The stomach pain is localized to the upper left quadrant of my stomach, and hurts when I push where my pancreas is. The pain is made worse after eating o ...
More related studies for: Acyclovir, Upset stomach
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.