Review: could Adderall cause Sudden death?
Summary: Sudden death could be caused by Adderall, especially for people who are male, 10-19 old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 2 years, also take Adderall 10, and have Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder.
We study 10,815 people who have side effects while taking Adderall from FDA and social media. Among them, 77 have Sudden death. Find out below who they are, when they have Sudden death and more.
On Apr, 11, 2014: 10,566 people reported to have side effects when taking Adderall. Among them, 77 people (0.73%) have Sudden Death. They amount to 0.01% of all the 532,147 people who have Sudden Death on eHealthMe.
Time on Adderall when people have Sudden death * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Sudden death||4.35%||26.09%||0.00%||47.83%||13.04%||8.70%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Sudden death when taking Adderall * :
|Sudden death||24.72%||75.28% |
Age of people who have Sudden death when taking Adderall * :
|Sudden death||0.00%||0.00%||35.71%||20.00%||22.86%||8.57%||7.14%||5.71% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (43 people, 55.84%)
- Aggression (13 people, 16.88%)
- Bipolar disorder (9 people, 11.69%)
- Insomnia (8 people, 10.39%)
- Oppositional defiant disorder (8 people, 10.39%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Adderall 10 (58 people, 75.32%)
- Risperdal (29 people, 37.66%)
- Seroquel (29 people, 37.66%)
- Effexor (22 people, 28.57%)
- Prozac (20 people, 25.97%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related topic: Adderall, Sudden death
You can also:
On eHealthMe, Adderall (amphetamine aspartate; amphetamine sulfate; dextroamphetamine saccharate; dextroamphetamine sulfate) is often used for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Find out below the conditions Adderall is used for, how effective it is, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is Adderall used for and how effective is it:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
Could it be a symptom from a condition:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause it?
Comments from related studies:
From this study (2 years ago):
* Didn't start gaining weight until aftwer taking geodon for 2 yearas, however after 6 years on geodon I drastically lowered my dose without ANY weight loss. Also, the apetite lowering effects of the adderall and vyvanse have completely dissapeared after taking them for 2 years at very high doses (prescribed). Also, the Adderall XR lost a sgnificant part of its effectiveness after 7 years. The plus side to that is that it no longer causes nervousness/anxiety as a side effect. I am most concerned with my chest pain. Only noticed it this past year. Year 7 of Geodon and adderal. Seems worse if I take imediate release adderal. because the IR adderal often also causes my stomach pain I'm not sure if the pain is coming fronm my heart, lung or if it is acid reflux? But it is VERY WORRISOME!!
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.