Review: could Advil cause Diarrhea?
(By eHealthMe on Mar, 10, 2014)
Severity ratings: 2.5/4
On a scale of 1 to 4: 1=least, 2=moderate, 3=severe, 4=most severe
We study 21,365 people who take Advil. Among them, 830 have Diarrhea. See who they are, when they have Diarrhea and more. This review is based on reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
Advil (latest outcomes from 21,206 users) has active ingredients of ibuprofen. It is often used in headache, pain relief by acupuncture. Commonly reported side effects of Advil include pain, pain relief by acupuncture, acupuncture and pain, pain exacerbated, nausea.
Diarrhea (latest reports from 1,078,177 patients) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, pain, rheumatoid arthritis, acupuncture and pain, pain relief by acupuncture.
On Mar, 1, 2014: 19,798 people reported to have side effects when taking Advil. Among them, 701 people (3.54%) have Diarrhea.
Time on Advil when people have Diarrhea * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Diarrhea when taking Advil * :
Age of people who have Diarrhea when taking Advil * :
Severity of Diarrhea when taking Advil ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Diarrhea ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Pain (106 people, 15.12%)
- Hypertension (57 people, 8.13%)
- Breast cancer (39 people, 5.56%)
- Contraception (37 people, 5.28%)
- Depression (33 people, 4.71%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Advil liqui-gels (197 people, 28.10%)
- Aspirin (93 people, 13.27%)
- Zometa (86 people, 12.27%)
- Ambien (84 people, 11.98%)
- Protonix (82 people, 11.70%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related topic: Advil, Diarrhea
You can also:
On eHealthMe, Advil (ibuprofen) is often used for headache. Find out below the conditions Advil is used for, how effective it is, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is Advil used for and how effective is it:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
Could it be a symptom from a condition:
Browse Advil side effects from A to Z:
Browse Advil drug interactions with drugs from A to Z:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause it?
Comments from related studies:
From this study (3 months ago):
Had very high liver enzymes just days after taking Bactrim DS & Ibuprofen 800 mg together for 2 weeks. Had dark urine & vomiting while taking meds. Had gallbladder removed and had trouble with blood clotting after surgery. Needed several blood transfusions due to blood clotting issues. Now have on going diarrhea, weight loss, pain and lethargy.
From this study (3 months ago):
Over past 6+ years, hair has thinned by half.
From this study (6 months ago):
Moderate to severe diarrhea for one month
Post a new comment OR Read more comments
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
More questions for: Advil, Diarrhea
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- Understanding and living with cancer
After having one treatment of Gemzar, I had a sever reaction, which caused me to have many seizures. This caused me to developed PRES, which in turn has caused me to have brain damage.When I came out of my induced coma I did not know where I was, nor did I know who my family members were. I could no ...
- Isoniazid: the downside continued
I also have extreme fatigue. I can sleep 8 hours and then take a 4 hour nap. I have dizziness which seems to be increasing in the last few weeks. I have nausea on and off. I have diarrhea in the morning 45 minutes after taking it. Then I am mostly constipated for the rest of the day. It seems ...
- Gemfibrozil, depression and sleepiness
I would like to hear from anyone who has had these symptoms, and how they dealt with it, by either lowering dosage or quitting the med, or other. Also would like to hear from others who continued to drink moderately and if this drug lowered their triglycerides...or those who were no longer able to ...
More reviews for: Advil, Diarrhea
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Ibuprofen, Bactrim Ds for a patient with Foot Pain, Infection. The patient has Pain, Lethargy (Fatigue), Weight Loss - Unintentional (Weight Decreased), Diarrhea, Confusional State, Rash (Rashes), Vomiting (Nausea and vomiting), Jaundice (Jaundice - yellow skin), Elevated Liver Enzymes, Cholelithiasis (Gallstones)
- A study of drug interactions between Evening Primrose Oil, Zeaxanthin, Lutein, Magnesium Orotate, Vitamin B12, Milk Thistle, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Biotin, Multivitamin, Melatonin, Red Cherry, Tart Cherry, CoQ-10, Fish Oil, Ibuprofen, Aspirin, Omeprazole, Metformin, Niaspan, Synthroid, Premarin, Victoza, Clonazepam, Clonidine, Cymbalta, Fenofibrate, Crestor for a patient with Eczema, Health, Heart Rate Irregular, Energy Increased, Liver Fatty, Antioxidant Therapy, Skin Disorder, Hair Disorder, Sleepy, Sinus Headache, Counteract Niaspan Effects, Heartburn, Type 2 Diabetes, Blood Cholesterol Increased, Hypothyroidism, Menopause Hot Flashes, Anxiety, Restlessness, Depression, Blood Triglycerides Increased, High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides. The patient has Diarrhea, Loss Of Hair (Hair loss)
- A study of side effects of Advil Liqui-gels for a patient with Arthritis. The patient has Diarrhea
More related studies for: Advil, Diarrhea
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.