Review: could Alendronate sodium cause Hair loss?
Summary: Hair loss is found among people who take Alendronate sodium, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 2 years, also take medication Fosamax, and have Osteoporosis.
We study 17,588 people who have side effects while taking Alendronate sodium from FDA and social media. Among them, 226 have Hair loss. Find out below who they are, when they have Hair loss and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Alendronate sodium and have Hair loss >>>
Alendronate sodium has active ingredients of alendronate sodium. It is often used in osteoporosis. (latest outcomes from 17,833 Alendronate sodium users)
Hair loss has been reported by people with high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, high blood cholesterol, multiple sclerosis, depression. (latest reports from 42,762 Hair loss patients)
On Apr, 15, 2015: 17,588 people reported to have side effects when taking Alendronate sodium. Among them, 226 people (1.28%) have Hair Loss.
Time on Alendronate sodium when people have Hair loss * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Hair loss||4.29%||8.57%||24.29%||47.14%||15.71%||0.00%||0.00% |
Age of people who have Hair loss when taking Alendronate sodium * :
|Hair loss||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.47%||2.36%||42.92%||54.25% |
Severity of Hair loss when taking Alendronate sodium ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Hair loss||0.00%||50.00%||50.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Hair loss ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Hair loss||0.00%||100.00%||0.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Osteoporosis (125 people, 55.31%)
- Osteopenia (56 people, 24.78%)
- Rheumatoid arthritis (46 people, 20.35%)
- Hypertension (17 people, 7.52%)
- Hypothyroidism (13 people, 5.75%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Fosamax (103 people, 45.58%)
- Prednisone (57 people, 25.22%)
- Humira (44 people, 19.47%)
- Omeprazole (26 people, 11.50%)
- Fosamax plus d (24 people, 10.62%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of alendronate sodium and hair loss on
Do you have Hair Loss while taking Alendronate Sodium?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Alendronate sodium and have Hair Loss
- support group for people who take Alendronate sodium
- support group for people who have Hair Loss
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Hydralazine Hydrochloride for a 56-year old man with High Blood Pressure. The patient has Hair Loss
- A study of side effects of Amlodipine Besylate for a 66-year old woman with Hypertension. The patient has Hair Loss
- A study of side effects of Diazepam for a 32-year old woman with Stress And Anxiety. The patient has Hair Loss
- A study of drug interactions between Baclofen, Neurontin, Ibuprofen, Lipitor, Topamax, Niacin, Paxil CR, Alendronate Sodium, Clopidogrel for a 56-year old woman with Backaches And Stress, Seizures, Complicated Migraine, Total Cholesterol, Depression, Osteoporosis, Pad. The patient has Migraine, Brittle Bone Disease, Slurred Speech, Numbness
- A study of drug interactions between Centrum, Biotin, Lexapro, Vitamin D, Verapamil Hydrochloride, Losartan for a 65-year old woman with Vitamin B2 Deficiency, Hair Growth Abnormal, Anxiety Disorder, Vitamin D Decreased, Blood Pressure Increased. The patient has Hair Loss, Night Sweats
Recent Alendronate sodium related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Alendronate Sodium, Risedronate Sodium, Ibandronate Sodium for a 74-year old woman who has Osteoporosis Post-menopausal
- Comparions of Ibandronate Sodium, Alendronate Sodium, Risedronate Sodium, Actonel for a 72-year old woman who has Osteoporosis
- Comparions of Boniva, Fosamax Plus D, Fosamax, Prolia for a 63-year old woman who has Osteoporosis Post-menopausal
- Comparions of Actonel, Fosamax, Prolia, Forteo for a 71-year old woman who has Vertebral Compression Fractures
- Comparions of Fosamax, Xgeva for a 46-year old woman who has Osteoporotic Fracture
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.