Review: could Alendronate sodium cause Heart palpitations?
Summary: Heart palpitations is found among people who take Alendronate sodium, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 6 - 12 months, also take medication Fosamax, and have Osteoporosis.
We study 17,584 people who have side effects while taking Alendronate sodium from FDA and social media. Among them, 248 have Heart palpitations. Find out below who they are, when they have Heart palpitations and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Alendronate sodium and have Heart palpitations >>>
Alendronate sodium has active ingredients of alendronate sodium. It is often used in osteoporosis. (view latest outcomes from 17,828 users)
Heart palpitations (feelings or sensations that your heart is pounding or racing) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, depression, osteoporosis, high blood cholesterol, pain.(latest reports from Heart palpitations 50,967 patients)
On Nov, 27, 2014: 17,584 people reported to have side effects when taking Alendronate sodium. Among them, 248 people (1.41%) have Heart Palpitations.
Time on Alendronate sodium when people have Heart palpitations * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Heart palpitations||6.67%||15.15%||37.58%||37.58%||3.03%||0.00%||0.00% |
Age of people who have Heart palpitations when taking Alendronate sodium * :
|Heart palpitations||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.70%||0.00%||18.18%||30.77%||50.35% |
Severity of Heart palpitations when taking Alendronate sodium ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Heart palpitations||0.00%||100.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Heart palpitations ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Osteoporosis (212 people, 85.48%)
- Osteopenia (151 people, 60.89%)
- Hypertension (38 people, 15.32%)
- Hypothyroidism (24 people, 9.68%)
- Essential hypertension (17 people, 6.85%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Fosamax (219 people, 88.31%)
- Fosamax plus d (81 people, 32.66%)
- Synthroid (30 people, 12.10%)
- Boniva (29 people, 11.69%)
- Prednisone (26 people, 10.48%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Heart Palpitations while taking Alendronate Sodium?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Alendronate sodium and have Heart Palpitations
- support group for people who take Alendronate sodium
- support group for people who have Heart Palpitations
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Do you have lower gi pain from taking risedronate sodium?
(Asked by a 77 year old woman who has Osteoporosis Post-menopausal, and takes Actonel, Fosamax)
I have been taking Fosamax for years and have developed significant lower GI pain. Am wondering if taking Actonel would have less side effect.
- Biotin and heart races? connection?
(Asked by a 66 year old man who has Heart Pounding Or Racing, and takes Biotin)
About 2 weeks ago I started on 3mg of Biotin a day. After about 4 days my heart started racing for period. It was uncomfortable and distracting. It's been nearly 2 weeks now and it's settled some but in the evening it comes back. Occassionaly during the day. Maybe at night I just notice it more but ...
- Can biotin cause prolonged heart racing?
(Asked by a 66 year old man who has Heart Pounding Or Racing, and takes Biotin)
I started taking 3mg of biotin a day for about 3 or 4 days. I noticed my heart racing which was unusual for me. None before starting biotin. I've stopped over a week ago, going on 2 weeks and my heart still races. More at night or maybe I notice it more at night. No, I would notice it during the day ...
- Has tamoxifen broken bones after bisphosphonate use?
(Asked by a 72 year old woman who has Atypical Femur Fracture, and takes Fosamax)
After taking Fosamax or Boniva for 15 years my femurs broke due to these drugs. I stopped taking these drugs but now need Tamoxifen due to breast cancer. Tamoxifen also inhibits osteoclasts from remodeling bones while osteoclasts are killed with bisphosphonates like Fosamax and Boniva, thus causin ...
- Does it produce vitamin k
(Asked by a 70 year old man who has Sintrom, Irregular Heartbeat)
he had stroke 5 years ago, he is taking sintrom, irregular heart beat
More questions for: Alendronate sodium, Heart palpitations
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Palpitations when eating raw garlic
(Posted by a 35 year old woman who has Heartburn, Nausea, Heart Palpitations)
After symptoms of a cold, I've been drinking the famous "garlic honey lemon" mixture to try to get rid of the cold and it actually worked pretty well.
The first morning it didn't feel very nice to drink but I was ok.
From day 2, I started to feel heartburn and heart palpitations, with a sort of he ...
- Fosamax causes numerous problems (1 response)
(Posted by a 63 year old woman who has Osteoporosis, and takes Fosamax)
I took Fosamax for 7 years. In the last two years my bone decreased, where as it had been 28% loss in the spine it went to 31% loss. For the first 5 years it did stop any bone loss but later seemed to stop working. I was very lucky with this drug as others have numerous problems. one lady I know wa ...
- Fenofibrate allergy and gall bladder problems
(Posted by a 61 year old man who has Allergic Sinusitis, Heart Palpitations, Gallbladder Pain, and takes Fenofibrate)
Took fenofibrate for about 9 months to treat high cholesterol, it lowered total from 250 down to 175 along with lowered triglycerides and LDL. After 6 months started having allergy and cold flu symptoms along with heart palpitations. Allergies caused sore throat, fluid behind ear,and sinus congest ...
- Pain in the neck and arthritis after taking generic fosamax
(Posted by a 64 year old woman who has Osteoporosis, Thyroid Nodules, Neck Pain, Anterior Knee Pain, Swelling Of A Joint, and takes Alendronate Sodium)
I started taking Generic Fosamax about six months ago and last week i had a terrible neck pain and spasm. I went to my accupunturist and he did accupunture and massage, but the pain did not go away. Later that week, I noticed that I had a lot of pain every time I flexed my left knee, and later that ...
- Heart pounding on zoloft (1 response)
(Posted by a 40 year old woman who has Heart Pounding Or Racing, and takes Zoloft)
Have been on Zoloft for 3 weeks and have heart pounding once a week for a few hours which unable me to sleep
More reviews for: Alendronate sodium, Heart palpitations
- A study of side effects of Ramipril for a patient with Hypertension. The patient has Heart Palpitations (feelings or sensations that your heart is pounding or racing)
Comments: I have been having these palpitations for this phase since August 2014 although I have had them before, whilst on Ramipril. Had an ECG and other than I have been diagnosed with ectopic heartbeats the heart looks healthy enough, yet I am getting severe palpitations daily, to the point they do put me ...
- A study of drug interactions between Diazepam, Buspirone Hydrochloride for a patient with Meniere's Disease, Anxiety Disorder. The patient has Palpitations
Comments: Only happens occasionally. More when I am active. But sometimes just sitting. All the time when using computer or watching television. There are just days where I cannot even look at a computer screen for even 1 minute. Very frustrating. Palpitations are annoying and inconvenient.
- A study of drug interactions between Alendronic Acid, Prednisolone for a patient with Osteoporosis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica. The patient has Upper Body Rash And Itching, Pain - Shoulder
Comments: Diagnosed with PMR 5 months ago and treated with 25mg per day of Prednisolone. Reduced dose to 22.5mg then to 21mg over a 2 month period. Noticed a rash on upper torso with severe itching which is thought to be an allergy since reducing the Preds. Doctor now wants me to reduce preds by 10mg in the n ...
- A study of side effects of Paxil Cr for a patient with Generalised Anxiety Disorder. The patient has Heart Palpitations (feelings or sensations that your heart is pounding or racing)
Comments: In the process of weaning off seroxat. went from 6mg to 0mg and went cold turkey. then back on 12mg and getting palpitation and insomnia for 1 week. Is the palpitation a withdrawal symptom or condition? When I was on 6mg I was fine with no palpitation or anxiety attack.
- A study of drug interactions between Pentazocine Injection, Lidocaine Hydrochloride, Ibuprofen, Losartan, Aspirin, Buspirone Hydrochloride, Levothyroxine Thyroid, Metoprolol Tartrate, Hydrocodone Bitartrate And Acetaminophen for a patient with Motor Dysfunction, Pain, Swelling Of A Joint, Blood Pressure Fluctuation, Heart Block Congenital, Anxiety Disorder, Thyroid Mass, High Blood Pressure. The patient has Pain In Right Arm, Pain Exacerbated, Nausea, Hypothyroidic Goitre, Urinary Frequency Or Urgency, Decreased Appetite, Blood Test Abnormal, Heartbeat Sensations, Low Blood Pressure, Exhaustion, Fatigue, Lethargy, Tiredness, Weariness, Weakness, Back Pain - Low, Neck, Shoulder And Arm Syndrome, Headache - Migraine With Aura
Comments: Thyroid blood work 639 now on synthetic thyroid medication but blood pressure is dropping lower as time is passing. I have severe headaches and migraines. My lower right back is hurting bad. Hydrocodone edges not even help the pain. They saw my thyroid enlarged in cat scan . I am going for a son ...
More related studies for: Alendronate sodium, Heart palpitations
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.