Alendronate sodium and Water retention - from FDA reports
Water retention is found among people who take Alendronate sodium, especially for people who are female, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Fosamax, and have Hypothyroidism. This review analyzes which people have Water retention with Alendronate sodium. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 24,331 people who have side effects when taking Alendronate sodium from FDA , and is updated regularly.
What to expect?
You are not alone!
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our tools are simple to use, anonymous and free. Start now >>>
On Sep, 23, 2017
24,331 people reported to have side effects when taking Alendronate sodium.
Among them, 93 people (0.38%) have Water retention
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Alendronate sodium when people have Water retention *:
- < 1 month: 2.04 %
- 1 - 6 months: 2.04 %
- 6 - 12 months: 8.16 %
- 1 - 2 years: 28.57 %
- 2 - 5 years: 57.14 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.0 %
- 10+ years: 2.04 %
Gender of people who have Water retention when taking Alendronate sodium *:
- female: 88.51 %
- male: 11.49 %
Age of people who have Water retention when taking Alendronate sodium *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.0 %
- 10-19: 2.33 %
- 20-29: 2.33 %
- 30-39: 0.0 %
- 40-49: 4.65 %
- 50-59: 18.6 %
- 60+: 72.09 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Preventive Health Care (9 people, 9.68%)
- Hypothyroidism (9 people, 9.68%)
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (8 people, 8.60%)
- High Blood Cholesterol (8 people, 8.60%)
- High Blood Pressure (6 people, 6.45%)
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Fosamax (69 people, 74.19%)
- Actonel (12 people, 12.90%)
- Fosamax Plus D (10 people, 10.75%)
- Synthroid (7 people, 7.53%)
- Folic Acid (7 people, 7.53%)
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Femur Fracture (68 people, 73.12%)
- Fall (47 people, 50.54%)
- High Blood Cholesterol (35 people, 37.63%)
- Low Turnover Osteopathy (33 people, 35.48%)
- Osteoarthritis (31 people, 33.33%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Subscribe to the study: get notified of updates to the study.
Do you have Water retention when taking Alendronate sodium?
- Check symptoms - is water retention caused by a drug or a condition?
- Get alerts to symptoms - forecast your symptoms and get alerts
- Join related support groups - you are not alone, join a support group on ehealth.me
- Report the side effect - help people in need and in real time
- Ask a question - ask a question related to the study
- write a review - share your experience related to the study
- More tools...
Expand the study to include all drugs with the same ingredientsWater retention and drugs with ingredients of alendronate sodium.
Expand the study to include reports from both FDA and eHealthMeWater retention and Alendronate sodium from FDA and eHealthMe reports
Alendronate sodium has active ingredients of alendronate sodium. It is often used in osteoporosis. (latest outcomes from Alendronate sodium 24,859 users)
Water retention has been reported by people with primary pulmonary hypertension, pulmonary hypertension, high blood pressure, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis (latest reports from 39,871 Water retention patients).
Browse all side effects of Alendronate sodiuma b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Drugs that are associated with Water retentionWater retention
Could your condition cause Water retentionWater retention
What would happen?
Questions to the study
I have taken Alendronate for 1 year as of Sept. 15, 2016. I have notice I am losing quite a bit of my hair, which was thin to begin with. I noticed it falling out about 6 months ago and it has gotten worse. If I quit the drug will my hair grow back?
I am underway for treatments related to the necrosis; I have been refered too many doctors and at this time have been told all surgeries and treatments are on hold to prevent further spreading of my condition. I am monitored at my local Cancer Center and white blood cells have dropped, with them ...
User reviews to the study
Hi! I've been taking Diltiazem for 2 weeks now and noticed some swelling in my ankles and feet. Should I be concerned? It's Friday and to late to call my Dr. And want to make sure I'll be ok till Monday. Thanks!
I noticed an increase in my blood pressure shortly after starting on Alendronate Sodium, but it only lasted a day or so. But the longer I take it (over a year now) the longer the effect lasted and now I have high blood pressure most of the time. I'm a female over 60. I started with an average ...