Review: could Allopurinol cause Atrial fibrillation (Atrial fibrillation/flutter)?
Summary: Atrial fibrillation is found among people who take Allopurinol, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Aspirin, and have Multiple myeloma.
We study 50,583 people who have side effects while taking Allopurinol from FDA and social media. Among them, 1,387 have Atrial fibrillation. Find out below who they are, when they have Atrial fibrillation and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Allopurinol and have Atrial fibrillation >>>
Allopurinol has active ingredients of allopurinol. It is often used in gout. (latest outcomes from 51,468 Allopurinol users)
Atrial fibrillation (fibrillation of the muscles of the atria of the heart) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, multiple myeloma. (latest reports from 87,267 Atrial fibrillation patients)
On Mar, 1, 2015: 50,579 people reported to have side effects when taking Allopurinol. Among them, 1,402 people (2.77%) have Atrial Fibrillation.
Time on Allopurinol when people have Atrial fibrillation * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Atrial fibrillation||25.37%||16.42%||4.48%||17.91%||29.85%||5.97%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Atrial fibrillation when taking Allopurinol * :
|Atrial fibrillation||29.06%||70.94% |
Age of people who have Atrial fibrillation when taking Allopurinol * :
|Atrial fibrillation||0.08%||0.00%||0.30%||0.23%||2.12%||6.43%||10.67%||80.18% |
Severity of Atrial fibrillation when taking Allopurinol ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Atrial fibrillation||0.00%||85.71%||14.29%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Atrial fibrillation ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Atrial fibrillation||20.00%||20.00%||60.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Multiple myeloma (157 people, 11.20%)
- Hypertension (153 people, 10.91%)
- Atrial fibrillation (149 people, 10.63%)
- Gout (82 people, 5.85%)
- Hyperuricaemia (68 people, 4.85%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (435 people, 31.03%)
- Digoxin (394 people, 28.10%)
- Lasix (353 people, 25.18%)
- Furosemide (312 people, 22.25%)
- Coumadin (283 people, 20.19%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of allopurinol and atrial fibrillation on
Do you have Atrial Fibrillation while taking Allopurinol?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Allopurinol and have Atrial Fibrillation
- support group for people who take Allopurinol
- support group for people who have Atrial Fibrillation
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Allopurinol for a 58-year old man with Gouty Arthritis. The patient has Hearing Loss
- A study of side effects of Allopurinol for a 57-year old man with Gout. The patient has Palpitations (feelings or sensations that your heart is pounding or racing)
- A study of drug interactions between Modafinil, Doxycycline, Prednisone, Hydrocodone Bitartrate And Acetaminophen, Oxycodone, Fish Oil Fatty Acid, Allegra, Zantac 150, Metformin, Tizanidine Hydrochloride, Lyrica, Cefprozil, Allopurinol for a 32-year old man with Hypersomnia, Infection, Swelling, Pain In Limb, Blood Cholesterol Abnormal, Allergy To Plants, Acid Reflux, High Blood Sugar, Stress, Gout. The patient has Itching, Elevated Liver Enzymes, Insulin C-peptide Increased, Complement Factor C3 Increased, Blood Uric Acid Increased, Pseudopapilloedema, Lymphadenopathy Mediastinal, Vision Blurred, Hives, Swelling, Pain Exacerbated
- A study of side effects of Allopurinol for a 67-year old man with Gout. The patient has High Blood Glucose Level (high blood sugar)
- A study of side effects of Acebutolol Hydrochloride for a 70-year old woman with Afib. The patient has Atrial Fibrillation (fibrillation of the muscles of the atria of the heart)
Recent Allopurinol related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.