Review: could Allopurinol cause Bloodshot eyes (Eye redness)?
Summary: Bloodshot eyes is reported only by a few people who take Allopurinol.
We study 50,559 people who have side effects while taking Allopurinol from FDA and social media. Among them, 4 have Bloodshot eyes. Find out below who they are, when they have Bloodshot eyes and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Allopurinol and have Bloodshot eyes >>>
Allopurinol has active ingredients of allopurinol. It is often used in gout. (latest outcomes from Allopurinol 51,438 users)
Bloodshot eyes (bloodshot eyes appear red because the vessels in the surface of the white portion of the eye (sclera) become swollen) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, high blood pressure, glaucoma, rheumatoid arthritis, depression.(latest reports from Bloodshot eyes 685 patients)
On Nov, 30, 2014: 50,550 people reported to have side effects when taking Allopurinol. Among them, 4 people (0.01%) have Bloodshot Eyes.
Time on Allopurinol when people have Bloodshot eyes * :
Gender of people who have Bloodshot eyes when taking Allopurinol * :
|Bloodshot eyes||50.00%||50.00% |
Age of people who have Bloodshot eyes when taking Allopurinol * :
|Bloodshot eyes||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Severity of Bloodshot eyes when taking Allopurinol ** :
How people recovered from Bloodshot eyes ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Multiple myeloma (2 people, 50.00%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Fosamax (2 people, 50.00%)
- Hyzaar (2 people, 50.00%)
- Prevacid (2 people, 50.00%)
- Alkeran (2 people, 50.00%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Bloodshot Eyes while taking Allopurinol?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Allopurinol and have Bloodshot Eyes
- support group for people who take Allopurinol
- support group for people who have Bloodshot Eyes
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Can i take reglan and allopurinol together
(Asked by a 25 year old woman who has High Levels Of Uric Acid, Nasea , and takes Allopurinol, Reglan)
I need to know if i can take reglan and allopurinol together. I have nasea and uric acid problems and i am tierd of feeling like vomiting and i dont know what to take for nasea and wont interract with allopurinol thank you.
- My mom is 88. she takes lexapro in the evening. she wakes up hallucinating. it's starting to get to her. what should i try for her?
(Asked by a 88 year old woman who has Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Atrial Fibrillation, High Blood Cholesterol, High Blood Pressure, Dementia (controlled), and takes Multivitamin, Lipitor, Claritin, Allopurinol, Diltiazem Hydrochloride, Namenda Xr, Aricept, Dicyclomine Hydrochloride, Bystolic, Lexapro)
My mom has been taking Lexapro for about 2 1/2 to 3 months. She was taking it in the morning and her therapist felt it was making her drowsy. I began giving it to her before bed, and I believe that is when she started waking up during the night with hallucinations. I'm not sure if they are vivid ...
- I have an enlarged liver...could i use buprenorphine?
(Asked by a 33 year old woman who has Enlarged Liver, and takes Allopurinol, Metformin, Lyrica, Morphine)
I want to know if i can take buprenorphine with an enlarged liver
- Safety of nattokinase
(Asked by a 85 year old man who has Bleeding 4 Attacks, DVT, and takes Allopurinol, Warfarin Sodium)
tooth removed needed 5 f red blood cells and 4 of plasma
- Can xarelto cause my blood pressure to elevate (1 answer)
(Asked by a 75 year old man who has High Blood Pressure, and takes Allopurinol, Benazepril Hydrochloride, Crestor, Doxazosin Mesylate, Labetalol Hydrochloride, Omeprazole, Oxycodone, Xarelto)
I had a stroke (TIA) TWO MONTHS AGO AND MY DOCTOR PUT ME ON A BLOOD THINNER
XARELTO and my blood pressure is always high now.
More questions for: Allopurinol, Bloodshot eyes
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Allopürinol and achilles tendinitis
(Posted by a 54 year old man who has Achilles Tendinitis, and takes Allopurinol)
I take allopurinol on a purely prophylactic basis, as my father has got gout and kidney stones. Since three months I suffer from achilles tendinitis; I put it down to overload; I am rather heavy and play a lot of tennis, besides moving a lot at work. As always, I tried to "walk through" my weight as ...
- Allopurinol for 6-mp metabolism to 6-tgn
(Posted by a 30 year old woman who has Crohn's Disease, and takes Allopurinol, Purinethol)
I began taking Allopurinol 100mg to help metabolize the Purinethol I have been taking for 6 years for Crohn's disease after a blood test revealed my 6-MMP metabolites were too high and 6-TG were too low. Several published studies show Allopurinol to be helpful for "non-preferential metabolizers" lik ...
- Ear pain from allopurinol 100mg (1 response)
(Posted by a 46 year old man who has Gout, and takes Allopurinol)
I have just been prescribed 100mg Allopurinol.
1 a day.
I am in my second day of taking these tablets.
I have begun to get get a sudden pain in my ear.
I have never in all my years have ever had such a pain.
I know the only change that has happened around me is taking these tablets.
I have sto ...
- Allopurinol and muscle cramps
(Posted by a 72 year old woman who has Muscle Cramps, Hypertension Controlled, Cholesterol Controlled, and takes Aspirin, Lopid, Lisinopril, Aldactone, Allopurinol)
Approximately 5 years ago I developed gout and my physician prescribed allopurinol. After a period of time I began to have muscle spasms in the calves of my legs at night. My doctor gave me a prescription for restless leg syndrome, which helped for a short time. I was then given a different presc ...
More reviews for: Allopurinol, Bloodshot eyes
- A study of side effects of Allopurinol for a patient with Gout - Chronic. The patient has Serum Ferritin Increased
Comments: I have been taking allopurinol (300mg) since 1990 and blood tests indicate an increase in serum ferritin from 288 to 410 ug/l over the past 18 months. I used to be a blood donor but have stopped since prostate cancer treatment four years ago.
- A study of side effects of Diclofenac Sodium And Misoprostol for a patient with Eye Swelling. The patient has Eye Redness
Comments: After cataract surgery I was given this to minimize blurring and swelling and redness but instead seemed to worsen symptoms. 6 wks. post surgery my vision is still blurred and eye very swollen and extremey sore.
- A study of side effects of Allopurinol for a patient with Gouty Arthritis. The patient has Diarrhoea Infectious (bacteria, viruses, and other germs can cause diarrhoea)
Comments: I have been diagnosed with IBS, but I have reason to believe that maybe taking Allopurinol for the last 8 years for Gout may have some effect on my condition. I understand that 300 mg may be too strong for me. My last uric acid level was 3.1 which is in the normal range...should I reduce my amount ...
- A study of drug interactions between Levothyroxine Sodium, Klonopin, Lamictal, Vyvanse, Duloxetine Hydrochloride for a patient with Thyroid Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Mood Disorder, Adhd, Depression. The patient has Hypertension, Muscle Twitching, Eye Twitch, Memory Loss, Confusional State, Tremor, Headache - Mixed Tension Migraine, Eye Zaps, Eye Redness
Comments: I take the following doses of the above listed meds: vyvanse 70mg duloxetine 60mg klonopin 1mg 3xday as needed, levothyroxin 100mcg lamicatal 200 mg. My PCP suspects seratonin syndrome as I have all of the symptoms. Daily, I constantly get an electrical shock feeling in my brain when moving my eyes. ...
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Potassium Gluconate, Butrans, Androgel, Viibryd, Livalo, Tribenzor, Nexium, Metformin, Lantus, Atenolol, Lovaza, Allopurinol for a patient with General Physical Health Deterioration, General Physical Condition, Muscle Weakness, Pain, Testosterone, Depression, High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides, High Blood Pressure, Gerd, Diabetes, High Blood Cholesterol, High Blood Sugar, Gout. The patient has Diabetes Mellitus, Erectile Dysfunction, Peripheral Neuropathy
Comments: Concern about allopurinol having exacerbated peripheral neuropathy
Also concerned about drugs and their interactions causing ED if I stop taking blood pressure meds incidence of ED is reduced considerably.
More related studies for: Allopurinol, Bloodshot eyes
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.