Allopurinol and Edema - from FDA reports
Edema is found among people who take Allopurinol, especially for people who are female, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Zometa, and have Multiple myeloma. This review analyzes which people have Edema with Allopurinol. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 84,020 people who have side effects when taking Allopurinol from FDA , and is updated regularly.
What to expect?
You are not alone!
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our tools are simple to use, anonymous and free. Start now >>>
On Sep, 21, 2017
84,020 people reported to have side effects when taking Allopurinol.
Among them, 598 people (0.71%) have Edema
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Allopurinol when people have Edema *:
- < 1 month: 46.67 %
- 1 - 6 months: 20.0 %
- 6 - 12 months: 0.0 %
- 1 - 2 years: 26.67 %
- 2 - 5 years: 6.67 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.0 %
- 10+ years: 0.0 %
Gender of people who have Edema when taking Allopurinol *:
- female: 52.25 %
- male: 47.75 %
Age of people who have Edema when taking Allopurinol *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.0 %
- 10-19: 0.0 %
- 20-29: 0.21 %
- 30-39: 2.14 %
- 40-49: 7.07 %
- 50-59: 27.41 %
- 60+: 63.17 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Multiple Myeloma (86 people, 14.38%)
- High Blood Pressure (55 people, 9.20%)
- High Blood Cholesterol (45 people, 7.53%)
- Osteoporosis (43 people, 7.19%)
- Metastases To Bone (40 people, 6.69%)
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Zometa (186 people, 31.10%)
- Aredia (166 people, 27.76%)
- Lasix (139 people, 23.24%)
- Aspirin (106 people, 17.73%)
- Prilosec (99 people, 16.56%)
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Pain (214 people, 35.79%)
- Osteomyelitis (169 people, 28.26%)
- Rashes (165 people, 27.59%)
- Bone Disorder (156 people, 26.09%)
- Osteonecrosis Of Jaw (150 people, 25.08%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Subscribe to the study: get notified of updates to the study.
Do you have Edema when taking Allopurinol?
- Check symptoms - is edema caused by a drug or a condition?
- Get alerts to symptoms - forecast your symptoms and get alerts
- Join related support groups - you are not alone, join a support group on ehealth.me
- Report the side effect - help people in need and in real time
- Ask a question - ask a question related to the study
- write a review - share your experience related to the study
- More tools...
Expand the study to include all drugs with the same ingredientsEdema and drugs with ingredients of allopurinol.
Expand the study to include reports from both FDA and eHealthMeEdema and Allopurinol from FDA and eHealthMe reports
Allopurinol has active ingredients of allopurinol. It is often used in gout. (latest outcomes from Allopurinol 85,975 users)
Edema (excess of watery fluid collecting in the cavities or tissues of the body) has been reported by people with rheumatoid arthritis, high blood pressure, pain, osteoporosis, multiple sclerosis (latest reports from 45,856 Edema patients).
Browse all side effects of Allopurinola b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Drugs that are associated with EdemaEdema
Could your condition cause EdemaEdema
What would happen?
Questions to the study
Just started Allopurinol regime (300mg/day). Only noticeable side effect is slight pins and needles feeling in my hands and feet. Never experience numbness or any loss of feeling just this vague pins and needles. Doctor isn't too concerned and I have seen where new users may feel this. Just ...
It's odd. The type of chapped lips from the cold are different from the chapped lips associated with my gout. The main difference is that I still have feeling across my lips; whereas, the chapped lips associated with weather and cold can leave my lips without feeling. This is something I ...
User reviews to the study
My husband is taking Keppra to help with muscle cramping/spasms due to a spinal cord injury. He has most of the listed side effects such as, mood swings, depression, coordination, muscle weakness very depressed but he also has severe edema in his feet and now lower legs as well. Cant see where ...
I have been on 25mg carvedilol Twice a day for 5 years. For heart failure likely as result of chemo drug. I had a first time episode of gout a few days ago. Saw my Dr today and am starting on allopurin 10omg 1x /day for one week, then 200 mg 1x /day for 2,weeks and then 300mg 1x/ day Just ...