Allopurinol and High blood sugar - from FDA reports
High blood sugar is found among people who take Allopurinol, especially for people who are male, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Lasix, and have High blood pressure. This review analyzes which people have High blood sugar with Allopurinol. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 84,020 people who have side effects when taking Allopurinol from FDA , and is updated regularly.
What to expect?
You are not alone!
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our tools are simple to use, anonymous and free. Start now >>>
On Sep, 19, 2017
84,020 people reported to have side effects when taking Allopurinol.
Among them, 449 people (0.53%) have High blood sugar
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Allopurinol when people have High blood sugar *:
- < 1 month: 55.56 %
- 1 - 6 months: 31.75 %
- 6 - 12 months: 6.35 %
- 1 - 2 years: 0.0 %
- 2 - 5 years: 6.35 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.0 %
- 10+ years: 0.0 %
Gender of people who have High blood sugar when taking Allopurinol *:
- female: 35.55 %
- male: 64.45 %
Age of people who have High blood sugar when taking Allopurinol *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.52 %
- 10-19: 2.59 %
- 20-29: 1.81 %
- 30-39: 8.03 %
- 40-49: 8.81 %
- 50-59: 20.21 %
- 60+: 58.03 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- High Blood Pressure (76 people, 16.93%)
- Multiple Myeloma (41 people, 9.13%)
- Preventive Health Care (34 people, 7.57%)
- Diabetes (33 people, 7.35%)
- Pain (32 people, 7.13%)
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Lasix (97 people, 21.60%)
- Aspirin (65 people, 14.48%)
- Diflucan (50 people, 11.14%)
- Lisinopril (48 people, 10.69%)
- Protonix (46 people, 10.24%)
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Fatigue (96 people, 21.38%)
- Nausea (92 people, 20.49%)
- Diarrhea (84 people, 18.71%)
- Fever (76 people, 16.93%)
- Anaemia (73 people, 16.26%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Subscribe to the study: get notified of updates to the study.
Do you have High blood sugar when taking Allopurinol?
- Check symptoms - is high blood sugar caused by a drug or a condition?
- Get alerts to symptoms - forecast your symptoms and get alerts
- Join related support groups - you are not alone, join a support group on ehealth.me
- Report the side effect - help people in need and in real time
- Ask a question - ask a question related to the study
- write a review - share your experience related to the study
- More tools...
Expand the study to include all drugs with the same ingredientsHigh blood sugar and drugs with ingredients of allopurinol.
Expand the study to include reports from both FDA and eHealthMeHigh blood sugar and Allopurinol from FDA and eHealthMe reports
Allopurinol has active ingredients of allopurinol. It is often used in gout. (latest outcomes from Allopurinol 85,974 users)
High blood sugar
High blood sugar has been reported by people with type 2 diabetes, diabetes, high blood pressure, depression, multiple myeloma (latest reports from 25,999 High blood sugar patients).
Browse all side effects of Allopurinola b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Drugs that are associated with High blood sugarHigh blood sugar
Could your condition cause High blood sugarHigh blood sugar
What would happen?
Questions to the study
Just started Allopurinol regime (300mg/day). Only noticeable side effect is slight pins and needles feeling in my hands and feet. Never experience numbness or any loss of feeling just this vague pins and needles. Doctor isn't too concerned and I have seen where new users may feel this. Just ...
User reviews to the study
I am,taking rituxin infusion for polymyositus. I just completed by second course of two infusions. My blood sugar is thru the roof stayin the 200 range for several days. I am not on insulin. Normal run 110 to 160 after meals. Has anyone else seen this result and does it go down?
I have been on 25mg carvedilol Twice a day for 5 years. For heart failure likely as result of chemo drug. I had a first time episode of gout a few days ago. Saw my Dr today and am starting on allopurin 10omg 1x /day for one week, then 200 mg 1x /day for 2,weeks and then 300mg 1x/ day Just ...