Review: could Allopurinol cause Mouth ulceration (Mouth ulcers)?
Summary: Mouth ulceration is found among people who take Allopurinol, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Lasix, and have Gout.
We study 50,585 people who have side effects while taking Allopurinol from FDA and social media. Among them, 237 have Mouth ulceration. Find out below who they are, when they have Mouth ulceration and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Allopurinol and have Mouth ulceration >>>
Allopurinol has active ingredients of allopurinol. It is often used in gout. (latest outcomes from 51,469 Allopurinol users)
Mouth ulceration (mouth ulcers) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple myeloma, pain, breast cancer. (latest reports from 10,003 Mouth ulceration patients)
On Apr, 4, 2015: 50,583 people reported to have side effects when taking Allopurinol. Among them, 237 people (0.47%) have Mouth Ulceration.
Time on Allopurinol when people have Mouth ulceration * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Mouth ulceration||72.73%||9.09%||0.00%||9.09%||9.09%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Mouth ulceration when taking Allopurinol * :
|Mouth ulceration||41.45%||58.55% |
Age of people who have Mouth ulceration when taking Allopurinol * :
|Mouth ulceration||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||2.18%||4.37%||10.48%||34.06%||48.91% |
Severity of Mouth ulceration when taking Allopurinol ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Mouth ulceration||0.00%||25.00%||75.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Mouth ulceration ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Mouth ulceration||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Gout (42 people, 17.72%)
- Osteoporosis (32 people, 13.50%)
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (24 people, 10.13%)
- Metastases to bone (21 people, 8.86%)
- Open wound (16 people, 6.75%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Lasix (78 people, 32.91%)
- Zometa (62 people, 26.16%)
- Ambien (57 people, 24.05%)
- Protonix (49 people, 20.68%)
- Levaquin (48 people, 20.25%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of allopurinol and mouth ulceration on
Do you have Mouth Ulceration while taking Allopurinol?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Allopurinol and have Mouth Ulceration
- support group for people who take Allopurinol
- support group for people who have Mouth Ulceration
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Allopurinol for a 60-year old man with Gout. The patient has Swollen Glands
- A study of drug interactions between Aspirin, Omeprazole, Altace, Crestor, Flomax, Levoxyl for a 82-year old man with Blood Clots, Acid Reflux, High Blood Pressure, Birth Control, Urinary Ca+2, Hypothyroidism. The patient has Angina - Stable, Mouth Ulceration, Anaemia
- A study of drug interactions between Adderall, Nexium, Metformin, Lexapro, Levaquin for a 52-year old woman with ADHD, Acid Reflux, Diabetes, Depression, Respiratory Disorder. The patient has Fatigue, Numbness And Tingling, Mouth Ulcers
- A study of side effects of Allopurinol for a 58-year old man with Gouty Arthritis. The patient has Hearing Loss
- A study of side effects of Allopurinol for a 57-year old man with Gout. The patient has Palpitations
Recent Allopurinol related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Lisinopril, Allopurinol, Carvedilol, Pravastatin Sodium, Pueraria Mirifica for a 60-year old man who has Brest Enlargement
- Comparions of Mobic, Allopurinol for a 53-year old man who has Gout
- Comparions of Zyloprim, Terbinafine Hydrochloride for a 83-year old man who has Gout - Chronic
- Comparions of Allopurinol, Valsartan for a 77-year old man who has Gouty Arthritis - Chronic
- Comparions of Baclofen, Xanax, Norco, Allopurinol, Hydrochlorothiazide for a 50-year old woman who has Chronic Gouty Arthritis
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.