Home > Allopurinol > Mouth ulceration > Allopurinol and Mouth ulceration
Review: could Allopurinol cause Mouth ulceration (Mouth ulcers)?
Summary: Mouth ulceration is found among people who take Allopurinol, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Lasix, and have Gout.
We study 50,550 people who have side effects while taking Allopurinol from FDA and social media. Among them, 237 have Mouth ulceration. Find out below who they are, when they have Mouth ulceration and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Allopurinol and have Mouth ulceration >>>
Allopurinol (latest outcomes from 51,436 users) has active ingredients of allopurinol. It is often used in gout.
Mouth ulceration (mouth ulcers) (latest reports from 9,889 patients) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple myeloma, pain, high blood pressure.
On Oct, 31, 2014: 50,545 people reported to have side effects when taking Allopurinol. Among them, 237 people (0.47%) have Mouth Ulceration.
Time on Allopurinol when people have Mouth ulceration * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Mouth ulceration||72.73%||9.09%||0.00%||9.09%||9.09%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Mouth ulceration when taking Allopurinol * :
|Mouth ulceration||41.45%||58.55% |
Age of people who have Mouth ulceration when taking Allopurinol * :
|Mouth ulceration||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||2.18%||4.37%||10.48%||34.06%||48.91% |
Severity of Mouth ulceration when taking Allopurinol ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Mouth ulceration||0.00%||25.00%||75.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Mouth ulceration ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Mouth ulceration||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Gout (42 people, 17.72%)
- Osteoporosis (32 people, 13.50%)
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (24 people, 10.13%)
- Metastases to bone (21 people, 8.86%)
- Open wound (16 people, 6.75%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Lasix (78 people, 32.91%)
- Zometa (62 people, 26.16%)
- Ambien (57 people, 24.05%)
- Protonix (49 people, 20.68%)
- Levaquin (48 people, 20.25%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Mouth Ulceration while taking Allopurinol?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Allopurinol and have Mouth Ulceration
- support group for people who take Allopurinol
- support group for people who have Mouth Ulceration
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Can i take reglan and allopurinol together
(Asked by a 25 year old woman who has High Levels Of Uric Acid, Nasea , and takes Allopurinol, Reglan)
I need to know if i can take reglan and allopurinol together. I have nasea and uric acid problems and i am tierd of feeling like vomiting and i dont know what to take for nasea and wont interract with allopurinol thank you.
- Anyone have severe mouth blisters/ulcers from rituan lasting more than 8 months????
(Asked by a 66 year old woman who has Mouth Ulcers, and takes Rituxan)
24 hr. after last rituxan tx. developed horrible mouth uclers - mouth skin looked liked hanging chads in the mouth. 8 l/2 months later everything 17 specialists can think of have not worked...Any suggestions. Help this is awful
- My mom is 88. she takes lexapro in the evening. she wakes up hallucinating. it's starting to get to her. what should i try for her?
(Asked by a 88 year old woman who has Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Atrial Fibrillation, High Blood Cholesterol, High Blood Pressure, Dementia (controlled), and takes Multivitamin, Lipitor, Claritin, Allopurinol, Diltiazem Hydrochloride, Namenda Xr, Aricept, Dicyclomine Hydrochloride, Bystolic, Lexapro)
My mom has been taking Lexapro for about 2 1/2 to 3 months. She was taking it in the morning and her therapist felt it was making her drowsy. I began giving it to her before bed, and I believe that is when she started waking up during the night with hallucinations. I'm not sure if they are vivid ...
- I have an enlarged liver...could i use buprenorphine?
(Asked by a 33 year old woman who has Enlarged Liver, and takes Allopurinol, Metformin, Lyrica, Morphine)
I want to know if i can take buprenorphine with an enlarged liver
- Safety of nattokinase
(Asked by a 85 year old man who has Bleeding 4 Attacks, DVT, and takes Allopurinol, Warfarin Sodium)
tooth removed needed 5 f red blood cells and 4 of plasma
More questions for: Allopurinol, Mouth ulceration
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Allopürinol and achilles tendinitis
(Posted by a 54 year old man who has Achilles Tendinitis, and takes Allopurinol)
I take allopurinol on a purely prophylactic basis, as my father has got gout and kidney stones. Since three months I suffer from achilles tendinitis; I put it down to overload; I am rather heavy and play a lot of tennis, besides moving a lot at work. As always, I tried to "walk through" my weight as ...
- Allopurinol for 6-mp metabolism to 6-tgn
(Posted by a 30 year old woman who has Crohn's Disease, and takes Allopurinol, Purinethol)
I began taking Allopurinol 100mg to help metabolize the Purinethol I have been taking for 6 years for Crohn's disease after a blood test revealed my 6-MMP metabolites were too high and 6-TG were too low. Several published studies show Allopurinol to be helpful for "non-preferential metabolizers" lik ...
- Ear pain from allopurinol 100mg
(Posted by a 46 year old man who has Gout, and takes Allopurinol)
I have just been prescribed 100mg Allopurinol.
1 a day.
I am in my second day of taking these tablets.
I have begun to get get a sudden pain in my ear.
I have never in all my years have ever had such a pain.
I know the only change that has happened around me is taking these tablets.
I have sto ...
- Steven-johnsons syndrome caused by zoloft
(Posted by a 18 year old girl who has Depression - Adolescents, Lip Pain, Lip Bleeding, Lip Cracking, Fever Between 99.9 And 102.6 Fahrenheit, Hot Flashes, Ulcer - Mouth, Steven-Johnsons Syndrome, and takes Zoloft)
Was diagnosed with depression start of last year due to my Aspergers multiplying school pressures for me. I was not put on any medication until 4 weeks ago. I was put on Zoloft 25mg, which slowly increased to 50mg. The moment I started on 50mg it caused severe lip dryness leading to cracking of the ...
- Allopurinol and muscle cramps
(Posted by a 72 year old woman who has Muscle Cramps, Hypertension Controlled, Cholesterol Controlled, and takes Aspirin, Lopid, Lisinopril, Aldactone, Allopurinol)
Approximately 5 years ago I developed gout and my physician prescribed allopurinol. After a period of time I began to have muscle spasms in the calves of my legs at night. My doctor gave me a prescription for restless leg syndrome, which helped for a short time. I was then given a different presc ...
More reviews for: Allopurinol, Mouth ulceration
- A study of side effects of Allopurinol for a patient with Gout - Chronic. The patient has Serum Ferritin Increased
Comments: I have been taking allopurinol (300mg) since 1990 and blood tests indicate an increase in serum ferritin from 288 to 410 ug/l over the past 18 months. I used to be a blood donor but have stopped since prostate cancer treatment four years ago.
- A study of side effects of Allopurinol for a patient with Gouty Arthritis. The patient has Diarrhoea Infectious (bacteria, viruses, and other germs can cause diarrhoea)
Comments: I have been diagnosed with IBS, but I have reason to believe that maybe taking Allopurinol for the last 8 years for Gout may have some effect on my condition. I understand that 300 mg may be too strong for me. My last uric acid level was 3.1 which is in the normal range...should I reduce my amount ...
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Potassium Gluconate, Butrans, Androgel, Viibryd, Livalo, Tribenzor, Nexium, Metformin, Lantus, Atenolol, Lovaza, Allopurinol for a patient with General Physical Health Deterioration, General Physical Condition, Muscle Weakness, Pain, Testosterone, Depression, High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides, High Blood Pressure, Gerd, Diabetes, High Blood Cholesterol, High Blood Sugar, Gout. The patient has Diabetes Mellitus, Erectile Dysfunction, Peripheral Neuropathy
Comments: Concern about allopurinol having exacerbated peripheral neuropathy
Also concerned about drugs and their interactions causing ED if I stop taking blood pressure meds incidence of ED is reduced considerably.
- A study of side effects of Allopurinol for a patient with Gout. The patient has Vaginal Discharge
Comments: I have been recently diagnosed with a urinary infection. I have been taking this medication for about 2 years. However, I also have a foul smelling discharge that has a yellowish beige color. I have taken 6 pills for the urinary infection with a name that starts with a C. (sorry, can't recall) ...
- A study of side effects of Nexium for a patient with Multiple Sclerosis. The patient has Making A Small Disagreement Into A Big Problem, Getting In Trouble At Work, Feeling Like I Don't Belong, Feeling Guilty, Feeling Cold, Crying - Excessive (0-6 Months), Mouth Ulceration Aggravated (mouth ulcers)
Comments: I feel like I don't belong, little disagreements make me cry with outbursts of yelling, always want to keep busy or don't want to do anything. Always biting down on my teeth or always feel like I am sucking on my tongue, cannot stay still sometimes always depressed
More related studies for: Allopurinol, Mouth ulceration
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.