Review: could Allopurinol cause Muscle twitching?
Summary: Muscle twitching is found among people who take Allopurinol, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Lisinopril, and have Renal failure chronic.
We study 50,583 people who have side effects while taking Allopurinol from FDA and social media. Among them, 169 have Muscle twitching. Find out below who they are, when they have Muscle twitching and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Allopurinol and have Muscle twitching >>>
Allopurinol has active ingredients of allopurinol. It is often used in gout. (latest outcomes from 51,468 Allopurinol users)
Muscle twitching has been reported by people with depression, pain, multiple sclerosis, stress and anxiety, high blood pressure. (latest reports from 11,067 Muscle twitching patients)
On Mar, 5, 2015: 50,579 people reported to have side effects when taking Allopurinol. Among them, 169 people (0.33%) have Muscle Twitching.
Time on Allopurinol when people have Muscle twitching * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Muscle twitching||50.00%||12.50%||12.50%||0.00%||12.50%||0.00%||12.50% |
Gender of people who have Muscle twitching when taking Allopurinol * :
|Muscle twitching||71.08%||28.92% |
Age of people who have Muscle twitching when taking Allopurinol * :
|Muscle twitching||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.64%||0.64%||4.46%||13.38%||80.89% |
Severity of Muscle twitching when taking Allopurinol ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Muscle twitching||25.00%||25.00%||50.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Muscle twitching ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Muscle twitching||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Renal failure chronic (98 people, 57.99%)
- Gout (17 people, 10.06%)
- Open wound (9 people, 5.33%)
- Metastases to bone (9 people, 5.33%)
- Hypertension (7 people, 4.14%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Lisinopril (109 people, 64.50%)
- Multi-vitamins (108 people, 63.91%)
- Furosemide (106 people, 62.72%)
- Simvastatin (101 people, 59.76%)
- Heparin (101 people, 59.76%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of allopurinol and muscle twitching on
Do you have Muscle Twitching while taking Allopurinol?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Allopurinol and have Muscle Twitching
- support group for people who take Allopurinol
- support group for people who have Muscle Twitching
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Allopurinol for a 58-year old man with Gouty Arthritis. The patient has Hearing Loss
- A study of side effects of Allopurinol for a 57-year old man with Gout. The patient has Palpitations (feelings or sensations that your heart is pounding or racing)
- A study of drug interactions between Modafinil, Doxycycline, Prednisone, Hydrocodone Bitartrate And Acetaminophen, Oxycodone, Fish Oil Fatty Acid, Allegra, Zantac 150, Metformin, Tizanidine Hydrochloride, Lyrica, Cefprozil, Allopurinol for a 32-year old man with Hypersomnia, Infection, Swelling, Pain In Limb, Blood Cholesterol Abnormal, Allergy To Plants, Acid Reflux, High Blood Sugar, Stress, Gout. The patient has Itching, Elevated Liver Enzymes, Insulin C-peptide Increased, Complement Factor C3 Increased, Blood Uric Acid Increased, Pseudopapilloedema, Lymphadenopathy Mediastinal, Vision Blurred, Hives, Swelling, Pain Exacerbated
- A study of side effects of Allopurinol for a 67-year old man with Gout. The patient has High Blood Glucose Level (high blood sugar)
- A study of drug interactions between Diflucan, Lexapro for a 45-year old woman with Yeast Infection - Vagina, Anxiety. The patient has Muscle Twitching
Recent Allopurinol related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.