Allopurinol and Water retention - from FDA reports
Water retention is found among people who take Allopurinol, especially for people who are male, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for 6 - 12 months, also take medication Lasix, and have Primary pulmonary hypertension. This review analyzes which people have Water retention with Allopurinol. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 84,020 people who have side effects when taking Allopurinol from FDA , and is updated regularly.
What to expect?
You are not alone!
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our tools are simple to use, anonymous and free. Start now >>>
On Oct, 20, 2017
84,020 people reported to have side effects when taking Allopurinol.
Among them, 519 people (0.62%) have Water retention
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Allopurinol when people have Water retention *:
- < 1 month: 0.0 %
- 1 - 6 months: 0.0 %
- 6 - 12 months: 100 %
- 1 - 2 years: 0.0 %
- 2 - 5 years: 0.0 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.0 %
- 10+ years: 0.0 %
Gender of people who have Water retention when taking Allopurinol *:
- female: 43.02 %
- male: 56.98 %
Age of people who have Water retention when taking Allopurinol *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.0 %
- 10-19: 0.71 %
- 20-29: 0.0 %
- 30-39: 2.13 %
- 40-49: 5.91 %
- 50-59: 19.62 %
- 60+: 71.63 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Primary Pulmonary Hypertension (87 people, 16.76%)
- Multiple Myeloma (48 people, 9.25%)
- High Blood Pressure (31 people, 5.97%)
- Chronic Myeloid Leukaemia (27 people, 5.20%)
- Pain (25 people, 4.82%)
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Lasix (122 people, 23.51%)
- Furosemide (76 people, 14.64%)
- Letairis (58 people, 11.18%)
- Coumadin (58 people, 11.18%)
- Lipitor (50 people, 9.63%)
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Breathing Difficulty (128 people, 24.66%)
- Weight Increased (101 people, 19.46%)
- Oedema Peripheral (95 people, 18.30%)
- Fatigue (70 people, 13.49%)
- Weakness (55 people, 10.60%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Subscribe to the study: get notified of updates to the study.
Do you have Water retention when taking Allopurinol?
- Check symptoms - is water retention caused by a drug or a condition?
- Get alerts to symptoms - forecast your symptoms and get alerts
- Join related support groups - you are not alone, join a support group on ehealth.me
- Report the side effect - help people in need and in real time
- Ask a question - ask a question related to the study
- write a review - share your experience related to the study
- More tools...
Expand the study to include all drugs with the same ingredientsWater retention and drugs with ingredients of allopurinol.
Expand the study to include reports from both FDA and eHealthMeWater retention and Allopurinol from FDA and eHealthMe reports
Allopurinol has active ingredients of allopurinol. It is often used in gout. (latest outcomes from Allopurinol 85,975 users)
Water retention has been reported by people with primary pulmonary hypertension, pulmonary hypertension, high blood pressure, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis (latest reports from 39,871 Water retention patients).
Browse all side effects of Allopurinola b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Drugs that are associated with Water retentionWater retention
Could your condition cause Water retentionWater retention
What would happen?
Questions to the study
Just started Allopurinol regime (300mg/day). Only noticeable side effect is slight pins and needles feeling in my hands and feet. Never experience numbness or any loss of feeling just this vague pins and needles. Doctor isn't too concerned and I have seen where new users may feel this. Just ...
It's odd. The type of chapped lips from the cold are different from the chapped lips associated with my gout. The main difference is that I still have feeling across my lips; whereas, the chapped lips associated with weather and cold can leave my lips without feeling. This is something I ...
User reviews to the study
Hi! I've been taking Diltiazem for 2 weeks now and noticed some swelling in my ankles and feet. Should I be concerned? It's Friday and to late to call my Dr. And want to make sure I'll be ok till Monday. Thanks!
I have been on 25mg carvedilol Twice a day for 5 years. For heart failure likely as result of chemo drug. I had a first time episode of gout a few days ago. Saw my Dr today and am starting on allopurin 10omg 1x /day for one week, then 200 mg 1x /day for 2,weeks and then 300mg 1x/ day Just ...