Review: could Allopurinol cause Weight gain (Weight increased)?
Summary: Weight gain is found among people who take Allopurinol, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Lasix, and have Gout.
We study 50,559 people who have side effects while taking Allopurinol from FDA and social media. Among them, 693 have Weight gain. Find out below who they are, when they have Weight gain and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Allopurinol and have Weight gain >>>
Allopurinol has active ingredients of allopurinol. It is often used in gout. (latest outcomes from Allopurinol 51,438 users)
Weight gain has been reported by people with depression, high blood pressure, bipolar disorder, pain, high blood cholesterol.(latest reports from Weight gain 75,856 patients)
On Dec, 12, 2014: 50,550 people reported to have side effects when taking Allopurinol. Among them, 693 people (1.37%) have Weight Gain.
Time on Allopurinol when people have Weight gain * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Weight gain||31.25%||25.00%||0.00%||0.00%||25.00%||6.25%||12.50% |
Gender of people who have Weight gain when taking Allopurinol * :
|Weight gain||33.95%||66.05% |
Age of people who have Weight gain when taking Allopurinol * :
|Weight gain||0.00%||0.32%||0.00%||0.81%||2.58%||8.40%||24.56%||63.33% |
Severity of Weight gain when taking Allopurinol ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Weight gain||12.50%||50.00%||37.50%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Weight gain ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Weight gain||0.00%||25.00%||75.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Gout (46 people, 6.64%)
- Acute myeloid leukaemia (43 people, 6.20%)
- Hypertension (33 people, 4.76%)
- Multiple myeloma (23 people, 3.32%)
- Chronic myeloid leukaemia (22 people, 3.17%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Lasix (150 people, 21.65%)
- Aspirin (148 people, 21.36%)
- Furosemide (129 people, 18.61%)
- Digoxin (89 people, 12.84%)
- Lipitor (88 people, 12.70%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Weight Gain while taking Allopurinol?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Allopurinol and have Weight Gain
- support group for people who take Allopurinol
- support group for people who have Weight Gain
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Are an increase in appetite & tiredness side effects of the birth control tri-sprintec?
In the past I have taken the birth control Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo and have never had any problems. I just switched to the generic brand, Tri-sprintec. I have now officially been taking Tri-Sprintec for 2 months. I recently started to notice that my appetite has increased and I've been eating A LOT more than normal; I have definitely started to gain weight. I also have been a lot more tired than usual.
- Can i take reglan and allopurinol together
I need to know if i can take reglan and allopurinol together. I have nasea and uric acid problems and i am tierd of feeling like vomiting and i dont know what to take for nasea and wont interract with allopurinol thank you.
- Bisoprolol ,ive gained 56 pounds
i had a triple by pass,and was prescribed bisoprolol.since taking it i have gained 4 stones in weight ,ive tried diets ,exercise nothing takes the weight off ,should i stop the tablets.
- My mom is 88. she takes lexapro in the evening. she wakes up hallucinating. it's starting to get to her. what should i try for her?
My mom has been taking Lexapro for about 2 1/2 to 3 months. She was taking it in the morning and her therapist felt it was making her drowsy. I began giving it to her before bed, and I believe that is when she started waking up during the night with hallucinations. I'm not sure if they are vivid dreams that carry over when she awakens, or if she wakes up and sees visions. I do not want to change her meds, if possible. This combination of Aricept, Namenda and Lexapro have allowed her to be sharper mentally than she has in a number of years. Except for the hallucinations, it's been nothing short of amazing. Please help. Thank you
- I have an enlarged liver...could i use buprenorphine?
I want to know if i can take buprenorphine with an enlarged liver
More questions for: Allopurinol, Weight gain
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Allopürinol and achilles tendinitis
I take allopurinol on a purely prophylactic basis, as my father has got gout and kidney stones. Since three months I suffer from achilles tendinitis; I put it down to overload; I am rather heavy and play a lot of tennis, besides moving a lot at work. As always, I tried to "walk through" my weight associated problems, but it did not get any better. Non-compliant, I stopped taking allopurinol for the last three days, and, surprise surprise, the pain is quickly abating, in spite of playing prolonged matches the last three days. I remembered that gyrase inhibitors (e.g. ciprofloxacin) predispose to achilles tendon rupture, a fact that I was personal witness with a female player at our club. So I speculate on a causal link between allopurinol and achilles tendinitis
- Lyrica varied widely
I was prescribed Lyrica for treatment of chronic pain. It was ineffective, but it knocked out the symptoms of interstitial. However, it also caused rapid weight gain (I went from 110 to 130 lbs. in just a few weeks) and my ankles started to swell. The pain doctor advised me to discontinue the drug, but the urologist suggested lowering the dose. I did, and the swelling went down. I weighed myself daily and watched what I ate, and my weight returned to normal within a month. Subsequently, I continued taking the lower dose and had no further problems. Then I developed severe spinal stenosis, and my dosage of Lyrica was increased to six 75 capsules daily, in addition to 480 mg of morphine sulphate. I tolerated the Lyrica well. After surgery, however, my ankles began to swell again, and although I didn't have a problem with weight gain, I developed a bright red rash from ankles to knees. I dropped the dosage of Lyrica to 50 mg twice daily, and had no further side effects. The rash simply disappeared, with no damage to the skin. Following the surgery, I was able to titrate off morphine completely. I continue to take Lyrica twice daily. It doesn't seem to affect pain (I still ache a bit, as I have degenerative changes in all joints) but it does dampen peripheral neuropathy, which I experience both in my toes and balls of my feet. It also dampens the neuropathy in my forehead, where I had four surgeries to remove a malignant melanoma. I have had no side effects other than those mentioned, and find it interesting the I could tolerate a high dosage of Lyrica prior to surgery, but after surgery could not, and that adverse side effects varied not only with the dosage but with my own physical condition. I don't find it to be highly effective in treating neuropathy, but it does still the tingling enough to let me sleep and take my mind off the condition.
- Allopurinol for 6-mp metabolism to 6-tgn
I began taking Allopurinol 100mg to help metabolize the Purinethol I have been taking for 6 years for Crohn's disease after a blood test revealed my 6-MMP metabolites were too high and 6-TG were too low. Several published studies show Allopurinol to be helpful for "non-preferential metabolizers" like me, to help shunt the metabolic pathway towards therapeutic 6-TG.
After 1 week of Allopurinol, I had to discontinue the drug due to debilitating nausea, which was worst in the morning.
- Ear pain from allopurinol 100mg (1 response)
I have just been prescribed 100mg Allopurinol.
1 a day.
I am in my second day of taking these tablets.
I have begun to get get a sudden pain in my ear.
I have never in all my years have ever had such a pain.
I know the only change that has happened around me is taking these tablets.
I have stopped taking these and am awaiting my next appt with my GP.
I do take Arcoxia with paracetemol for pain relief.
- Crestor side effects (1 response)
I'm a vegetarian all my life , very athletic, I work out a lot , I run. In the last year or two My cholesterol seems to go high, my primary Doctor knows that I go for the healthy stuff so he advice a couple of things. But unfortunately nothing woks so he put me on Crestor, it has been a really bad experience, my menstrual periods don't come normal anymore, or sometimes it takes two or three months to come back again. I have hot flashes day or night, and the last one is that I'm gaining weight. I'm not sure what to do, any pill will give you side effects, I never read side effects. I'm 100% percent this is not coincides is real an is happening to me.
More reviews for: Allopurinol, Weight gain
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- I have Lupus and Fibromyalgia and I had surgery on my intestine. 5 1/2 inches were taken removed from my rectum because of a polyp that was flat against the wall of my intestine. My joints and muscles are really sore and because I was given prednisone for years my bones are very bad. I get a shot of ...
- I have been taking allopurinol (300mg) since 1990 and blood tests indicate an increase in serum ferritin from 288 to 410 ug/l over the past 18 months. I used to be a blood donor but have stopped since prostate cancer treatment four years ago.
- The lesions on face are like zits but not acne. They swell and pulsate and ooze throughout the day and have hard white or yellow waxy pits in them when popped. They respond to calamine lotion somewhat but have not gone away in 6 months, always occurring in the same place. From ear to ear under the j ...
- Within 3 to 4 months of starting ABILIFY, I gained about 40 pounds. As for the akathisia (feeling of restlessness or shaking on the inside), it wasn't bad until my dose got to 15mg. Eventually it went away and I still take 15mg/day. (haven't been able to lose much weight though. Side effects with ...
- I take 20 milligrams of Abilify with 20 mg. of celexa at night with Alprazolam throughout the day and at night to help me sleep. Since taking abilify over the past 10 years I have gained weight that I can't lose, I am always buying lottery tickets, and want to go to gamble obsessively. I also have c ...
More related studies for: Allopurinol, Weight gain
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.