Review: could Ambien cause Atrial flutter (Atrial fibrillation/flutter)?
Summary: Atrial flutter is found among people who take Ambien, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Aspirin, and have Pain.
We study 43,106 people who have side effects while taking Ambien from FDA and social media. Among them, 942 have Atrial flutter. Find out below who they are, when they have Atrial flutter and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Ambien and have Atrial flutter >>>
Ambien has active ingredients of zolpidem tartrate. It is often used in insomnia. (latest outcomes from Ambien 46,720 users)
Atrial flutter (an abnormal heart rhythm that occurs in the atria of the heart) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, multiple myeloma.(latest reports from Atrial flutter 84,051 patients)
On Dec, 7, 2014: 43,106 people reported to have side effects when taking Ambien. Among them, 942 people (2.19%) have Atrial Flutter.
Time on Ambien when people have Atrial flutter * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Atrial flutter||37.50%||43.75%||0.00%||0.00%||9.38%||0.00%||9.38% |
Gender of people who have Atrial flutter when taking Ambien * :
|Atrial flutter||50.05%||49.95% |
Age of people who have Atrial flutter when taking Ambien * :
|Atrial flutter||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||1.62%||3.35%||5.20%||15.82%||74.02% |
Severity of Atrial flutter when taking Ambien ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Atrial flutter||50.00%||50.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Atrial flutter ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Atrial flutter||0.00%||100.00%||0.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Pain (73 people, 7.75%)
- Atrial fibrillation (69 people, 7.32%)
- Multiple myeloma (64 people, 6.79%)
- Insomnia (53 people, 5.63%)
- Neoplasm malignant (50 people, 5.31%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (394 people, 41.83%)
- Lasix (373 people, 39.60%)
- Coumadin (369 people, 39.17%)
- Digoxin (274 people, 29.09%)
- Protonix (237 people, 25.16%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Atrial Flutter while taking Ambien?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Ambien and have Atrial Flutter
- support group for people who take Ambien
- support group for people who have Atrial Flutter
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Is trazodone and trazodone hcl the same ? with trazodone i dont stay asleep so i also take 5mg of zolpidem and some nights cut it in half
(Asked by a 65 year old woman who has Chronic Insomnia, and takes Zolpidem, Hydrochlorothiazide, Prevacid, Zoloft)
Trazodone doesn't work without ME also taking zolpidem
- Does anyone else have peripheral neuropathy? anyone have pn with lichen sclerosus? i have pain in hands, feet and face.
(Asked by a 71 year old woman who has Lichen Sclerosus, Peripheral Neuropathy)
Pain much worse at end of day and when I overdo. Sleep difficult - but essential! Feel so much better if I get 6+ hours. At the moment, very distressed by swollen lips (mostly inside mouth) and tissue surrounding eyes. I'm sure I have some arthritis in my fingers and toes. I also have had lichen ...
- What can i do to help my wife who is on ambien and sometimes has horrible restless leg syndrome?
(Asked by a 25 year old woman who has ADD, Restless Leg Syndrome, Insomnia, and takes Adderall, Ambien)
She will take her meds like a hour and a half before actually going to sleep. The Zambian that is and sometimes she has uncontrolled restless leg syndrome. She has to move them a certain way and everything. This last time it lasted a hour and a half. I was just wondering if there is anything I could ...
- Does zoloft cause ringing in the ears, like tinnitus? i've been on it for a month and noticed the ringing in the ears about a week ago, and it's just constant ringing and it's driving me insane. (1 answer)
(Asked by a 24 year old man who has Ringing In The Ears, and takes Dicyclomine Hydrochloride, Benadryl, Tylenol, Lialda, Azathioprine, Prednisone, Ambien, Zoloft)
I've been on most of the medications for more than a year and it hasn't been that bad getting used to them. But I've been on Zoloft and ambien for about a month now, and I've been noticing a lot of side effects. The one I just recently noticed and that has been driving me completely insane, is the r ...
- I have a-fib after taking benadryl. i've been off it for a few days, but flutters remain. how long does it last?
(Asked by a 86 year old woman who has Atrial Fibrillation/flutter, and takes Benadryl)
I took 6 pills a day for a week, have been off medication for several days, but A-Fib symptoms continue.
More questions for: Ambien, Atrial flutter
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Cardio version caused fingernail abnormalities
(Posted by a 66 year old woman who has Hip Fracture, Atrial Fibrillation, and takes Cymbalta, Klor-con M10, Levothyroxine Sodium)
Right hip fracture. When prepping for surgery AFIB was found. Surgery was cancelled and they attempted to get AFIB under control. Finally, cardioversion was performed. When my nails started to grow out they all had two horizontal lines that cause the nail to break when it grows out to that point.
- Turmeric and atrial fabrillation
(Posted by a 69 year old man who has Atrial Fibrillation/flutter, and takes Turmeric)
I am a "health nut" who has always avoided any and all tobacco and alcohol, am on no medication, am on a reasonably purer diet (organic foods etc.,) and daily take and assortment of vitamins, minerals and a few herbs like garlic and saw palmetto. I had recently began taking therapeutic doses of Tur ...
- Atrial fib and ibs, is there a connection?
(Posted by a 89 year old woman who has Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Atrial Fibrillation, and takes Pradaxa, Multaq)
I felt wonderful, after a good night sleep and a nice breakfast. Took my heart medicine. Took off for an hour shopping and the A-Fib began with a vengeance and lasted five hours.
During the time, interestingly, I had continuous IBS. If I had not used butter (an IBS trigger) on my toast that morni ...
- Zolpidem er side effects
(Posted by a 60 year old woman who has Bipolar Ii Disorder, Sleeping Difficulty, and takes Zolpidem Tartrate)
I was in this medicaion for 2 weeks.I had severe headache,muscular backache and a rash in one side of my body.I didn't had problems falling asleep but I had problems staying asllep.I will switch to Lunesta 3mg.
- I need advise, badly ckd!! (1 response)
(Posted by a 49 year old woman who has Constipation, Peripheral Neuropathy, Orthostatic Hypotension, Chronic Kidney Disease, and takes Milk Thistle, Zolpidem, Melatonin, Xanax, Adderall 30, Zorvolex)
The orthostatic BP started in mid April, I was only dizzy upon wakening then it would subside. I have never been a big breakfast eater so I started doing that. We were in Disney later in April and I was extremely fatigued, to the point of not wanting to walk, Disney would be the first time I passe ...
More reviews for: Ambien, Atrial flutter
- A study of drug interactions between Valium, Diazepam, Olanzapine, Zolpidem, Quetiapine Fumarate, Thorazine for a patient with Schizophrenia, Paranoid Type. The patient has Schizophrenia, Residual Type
Comments: I have lost almost all memory while on these medications and I cannot remember that part of my life while on them I can only remember bits and pieces. I was on all this medication due to my drug induced psycosis and to stop my paranoia and wanting to harm myself and others. This was over 12 years ag ...
- A study of drug interactions between Ambien, Trazodone Hydrochloride, Avodart, Bupropion Hydrochloride for a patient with Sleep Disorder, Poor Quality Sleep, Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia, Chronic Depression. The patient has Cloudy Verticle Line In Right Eye, A Visual Field Defect
Comments: Milky white cloudy vertical line in left side of visual field of the right eye only subsequent to cataract surgery and implantation of Crystallens IOL. This line appears to be capable of retracting white light into a vertical straight "rainbow" along the inner edge of the vertical blurry white line ...
- A study of drug interactions between Poison Tobacco, Cannabis for a patient with N-a-g. The patient has Atrial Fibrillation
Comments: Atrial fibrillation trigger by panic attack recently after smoking a medium-moderate amount of cannabis mixed with tobacco
No A-fib after use has been discontinued
No panic attacks after use discontinued
- A study of side effects of Zolpidem Tatrate for a patient with Insomnia.
Comments: I had my fifth lumbar surgery six weeks ago with incision infection week 2 which required a return to the hospital for seven days of IV antibiotic treatment and one day of oral antibiotic treatment. My incision is still red and swollen, and my back is very weak.
- A study of drug interactions between Ambien, Xanax, Soma for a patient with Insomnia, Separation Anxiety, Chronic Insomnia. The patient has Numbness In Hands Or Feet
Comments: The has been coming on for quite a few years but I thought it was from shoes worn when younger. In 2013 it was too noticeable to be ignored and I was told it was plural neuropathy and it was permanent. No treatment was recommended.Have had chronic insomnia for 21 years. Some helps with DDD.
More related studies for: Ambien, Atrial flutter
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.