Review: could Ambien cause Closed angle glaucoma (Glaucoma)?
Summary: Closed angle glaucoma is found among people who take Ambien, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 5 - 10 years, also take medication Zometa, and have Pain.
We study 43,157 people who have side effects while taking Ambien from FDA and social media. Among them, 145 have Closed angle glaucoma. Find out below who they are, when they have Closed angle glaucoma and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Ambien and have Closed angle glaucoma >>>
Ambien has active ingredients of zolpidem tartrate. It is often used in insomnia. (latest outcomes from 46,777 Ambien users)
Closed angle glaucoma
Closed angle glaucoma (pressure inside your eye rises quickly) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, high blood pressure, glaucoma, diabetes, depression. (latest reports from 17,663 Closed angle glaucoma patients)
On Mar, 29, 2015: 43,157 people reported to have side effects when taking Ambien. Among them, 145 people (0.34%) have Closed Angle Glaucoma.
Time on Ambien when people have Closed angle glaucoma * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Closed angle glaucoma||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||28.57%||0.00%||71.43%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Closed angle glaucoma when taking Ambien * :
|Closed angle glaucoma||52.87%||47.13% |
Age of people who have Closed angle glaucoma when taking Ambien * :
|Closed angle glaucoma||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.74%||8.15%||28.89%||62.22% |
Severity of Closed angle glaucoma when taking Ambien ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Closed angle glaucoma||50.00%||50.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Closed angle glaucoma ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Closed angle glaucoma||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Pain (44 people, 30.34%)
- Multiple myeloma (42 people, 28.97%)
- Depression (20 people, 13.79%)
- Osteoporosis (16 people, 11.03%)
- Insomnia (14 people, 9.66%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Zometa (82 people, 56.55%)
- Oxycontin (72 people, 49.66%)
- Neurontin (67 people, 46.21%)
- Aredia (67 people, 46.21%)
- Prednisone (63 people, 43.45%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of ambien and closed angle glaucoma on
Do you have Closed Angle Glaucoma while taking Ambien?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Ambien and have Closed Angle Glaucoma
- support group for people who take Ambien
- support group for people who have Closed Angle Glaucoma
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Pravachol, Humalog, Ambien, Lamictal, Lisinopril for a 39-year old man with Hyperlipidaemia, Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus, Insomnia - Psychophysiological (learned), Bipolar Ii Disorder, Microalbuminuria.
- A study of side effects of Zolpidem for a 56-year old woman with Sleep Disorder Due To General Medical Condition, Insomnia Type.
- A study of drug interactions between Losartan Potassium And Hydrochlorothiazide, Amlodipine Besylate for a 51-year old woman with High Blood Pressure. The patient has Loss Of Libido, Weight Gain, Supraventricular Tachycardia, Tired Eyes, Red Eyes, Dry Eyes, Glaucoma, Blurred Vision, Watery Eyes
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin D, Magnesium Oxide, Zolpidem Tartrate, Lorazepam, Sucralfate for a 51-year old woman with Lower Blood Pressure, Heart Rate Increased, Sleep Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition, Gastric Ulcer. The patient has Hot Flushes
- A study of side effects of Zolpidem for a 34-year old woman with Insomnia. The patient has Binge Eating
Recent Ambien related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Adderall Xr 25, Ambien, Lyrica, Marijuana, Oxycodone for a 38-year old woman who has Chronic Pain
- Comparions of Ambien, Morphine Sulfate, Percocet for a 41-year old woman who has Pain - Back
- Comparions of Ambien, Imipramine Hydrochloride, Vistaril for a 18-year old girl who has Insomnia
- Comparions of Paroxetine Hydrochloride, Zolpidem Tartrate for a 58-year old man who has Depression And Insomnia
- Comparions of Restoril, Ambien for a 69-year old woman who has Chronic Insomnia
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.