Review: could Amoxicillin cause Abdominal cramps (Abdominal pain)?
Summary: Abdominal cramps is found among people who take Amoxicillin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Zometa, and have Contraception.
We study 22,244 people who have side effects while taking Amoxicillin from FDA and social media. Among them, 891 have Abdominal cramps. Find out below who they are, when they have Abdominal cramps and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Amoxicillin and have Abdominal cramps >>>
Amoxicillin has active ingredients of amoxicillin. It is often used in infection. (latest outcomes from Amoxicillin 24,153 users)
Abdominal cramps has been reported by people with birth control, crohn's disease, high blood pressure, pain, depression.(latest reports from Abdominal cramps 76,967 patients)
On Nov, 26, 2014: 22,236 people reported to have side effects when taking Amoxicillin. Among them, 891 people (4.01%) have Abdominal Cramps.
Time on Amoxicillin when people have Abdominal cramps * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Abdominal cramps||87.18%||5.13%||1.71%||1.71%||1.71%||1.71%||0.85% |
Gender of people who have Abdominal cramps when taking Amoxicillin * :
|Abdominal cramps||72.72%||27.28% |
Age of people who have Abdominal cramps when taking Amoxicillin * :
|Abdominal cramps||0.52%||3.63%||9.72%||13.73%||14.25%||17.10%||18.52%||22.54% |
Severity of Abdominal cramps when taking Amoxicillin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Abdominal cramps||0.00%||44.44%||44.44%||11.11% |
How people recovered from Abdominal cramps ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Abdominal cramps||14.29%||14.29%||71.43% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Contraception (92 people, 10.33%)
- Multiple myeloma (77 people, 8.64%)
- Pain (60 people, 6.73%)
- Depression (44 people, 4.94%)
- Premenstrual syndrome (35 people, 3.93%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Zometa (201 people, 22.56%)
- Aredia (143 people, 16.05%)
- Levaquin (126 people, 14.14%)
- Ibuprofen (126 people, 14.14%)
- Yasmin (121 people, 13.58%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Abdominal Cramps while taking Amoxicillin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Amoxicillin and have Abdominal Cramps
- support group for people who take Amoxicillin
- support group for people who have Abdominal Cramps
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
More questions for: Amoxicillin, Abdominal cramps
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Drug interractions savella. amoxicillin
Sudden ache, pain and neuropathy in right hand and wrist within 8 hours of sterting Amoxicillin.
- Paragard and norethindrone acet
I had many reproductive issues arise after the birth of my daughter. Everything from constant swelling, pain an vaginal tearing, pre cancerous tumors. (cervical). I also have mild spots of endometriosis and ovarian cyst all of these are genetic in my family. I also have blood clotting factors so paragard was the only BC choice for me it caused me alot of bleeding issues I went 3monyhs on one straight period. So my Dr put me on norethindrone acet. To stop periods all together which caused all of my issues above to subside, apparently my hormones where the cause of my issues. I love the paragard an norethindrone combination!!!!
- Lupus induced by amoxicillin (1 response)
Was given Amoxicillin for Strep Throat and on day 10 I noticed a rash starting on my torso and began to feel ill, as if I had the flu. Went to emerg and got sent home with Benadryl. Woke up the next morning to the rash getting worse and an overall feeling of fatigue. Went to emerg again and this time had blood taken and the results showed an extreme rise in my white blood cells and by then, I had a fever. I was airlifted to another hospital where they did tests, but really had no idea what was wrong. I discharged myself with a script for corticosteroids and by then my joints began to stiffen, to a point of barely being able to walk and the pain was excruciating! I had to be cared for by my husband and struggled to lift my tea cup, or get out of bed. This lasted for about a month and then gradually began to subside. The doctors never did have answers for any of it. They chalked it up to an allergy to Amoxicillin. One mentioned "Steven Johnson Syndrome".
- Amoxycillin and ear popping.
I'm 30. I have otitis externa, but have never suffered with ear popping as a symptom. I had a flare up 2 wks before being prescribed this drug. I took a spay abx treatment which caused severe pain in my ears, so stopped taking that 5 days into the 7 day course. 4-5 days into my amoxicillin treatment for a uti, and my ears are popping. I have no known other medical problems, and am on no other meds.
- Poisened by fenofibrate
it started in Apr. 2013. I would eat and get sick to my stomach. I would have severe shooting pains in my stomach area. My bowels were loose and would stay that way. Or at times I would just be nauseated for no apparent reason. My mouth got dry and I began having dizzy spells. Those last two symptoms mostly went away except for the dizziness which would only happen if I bent over. By July it was hard to look at food at all. This went on for an entire year, every day. The VA, which was taking care of me, diagnosed me with a bad gall bladder. It was finally taken out in Sept. Unfortunately it did me no good.
On March 20, 2014, I took myself off this medication. Five days later the symptoms started to lift.
More reviews for: Amoxicillin, Abdominal cramps
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- I have osteoarthritis and am coeliac. I follow a gluten free diet. Recently I have developed severe stomach pain which comes on about 1 - 2 hours after eating. Ant acids and over the counter medicine such as Gaviscon don't seem to help. It goes away gradually on its own but the occasions are get ...
- For approximately the last six months I've been getting a sporadic sharp pain in my lower left abdomen. However, the past two weeks I haven't been taking the vitamins I usually take, but started taking them again yesterday. Today I've been in pain which I haven't had for the past two weeks. L-Carn ...
- My son is 17 months old and been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes but I just received a call from his physician that he is positive for Enterovirus. What is the connection between Enterovirus and high blood sugar levels?
- There is a pain in my neck as well as a pain under my jaw no swelling i only feel it when i touch a small aarea.there is pain in my muscles and around my left breast area only when touching or laying on my stomach each symtom lasted two days then switched to a new symptom it's been onne week since i ...
- My son has been on Amox for an ear infection for 4 days, and the last 2 days he has started screaming at about 2:00am. Doesn't seem to be awake.. thrashing and hitting and screaming. I assume this is a night terror.
More related studies for: Amoxicillin, Abdominal cramps
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.