Review: could Amoxicillin cause Constipation?
Summary: Constipation is found among people who take Amoxicillin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Zometa, and have Metastases to bone.
We study 22,284 people who have side effects while taking Amoxicillin from FDA and social media. Among them, 506 have Constipation. Find out below who they are, when they have Constipation and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Amoxicillin and have Constipation >>>
Amoxicillin has active ingredients of amoxicillin. It is often used in infection. (latest outcomes from 24,194 Amoxicillin users)
Constipation has been reported by people with osteoporosis, pain, high blood pressure, depression, high blood cholesterol. (latest reports from 81,512 Constipation patients)
On Apr, 11, 2015: 22,279 people reported to have side effects when taking Amoxicillin. Among them, 506 people (2.27%) have Constipation.
Time on Amoxicillin when people have Constipation * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Constipation when taking Amoxicillin * :
Age of people who have Constipation when taking Amoxicillin * :
Severity of Constipation when taking Amoxicillin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Constipation ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Metastases to bone (83 people, 16.40%)
- Pain (51 people, 10.08%)
- Depression (39 people, 7.71%)
- Multiple myeloma (38 people, 7.51%)
- Anxiety (20 people, 3.95%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Zometa (246 people, 48.62%)
- Aredia (176 people, 34.78%)
- Ambien (150 people, 29.64%)
- Oxycontin (133 people, 26.28%)
- Aspirin (113 people, 22.33%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
Comments for this study:
Wibbly1201 (7 months ago):
Yogurt did the trick for me as well!
Reply the comment
Les (3 years ago):
Male, 71 in otherwise good health. I work out regularly, both resistance and cardio. I have taken Amoxicillin a number of times in the past, mostly associated with dental problems. Normally, I'm very regular, but every time I take Amoxicillin (I'm on it at the time I'm writing this), I wind up with mild-to-moderate constipation. I have no other side effects that I'm aware of. Over the years I have found that yoghurt seems to help a lot. I prefer the unflavored low-fat type with fresh fruit that I add myself. About 12-16 ounces a day does the trick for me. I think that any type or brand with live cultures may work for anyone with a similar reaction to the antibiotic.
Reply the comment
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of amoxicillin and constipation on
Do you have Constipation while taking Amoxicillin?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Amoxicillin and have Constipation
- support group for people who take Amoxicillin
- support group for people who have Constipation
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Armour Thyroid, Iodine, Acetaminophen, Amoxicillin for a 58-year old woman with Hypothyroidism, Throat - Sore, Strep Throat. The patient has Red Eye
- A study of drug interactions between Iscador, Amoxicillin for a 11-year old boy with Lung Cancer, Throat Infection.
- A study of drug interactions between Omeprazole, Zopiclone, Paracetamol, Ibuprofen, Bisacodyl, Sertraline, Gabapentin, Morphine, Morphine Sulfate for a 42-year old woman with Ulcer - Stomach, Insomnia, Fibromyalgia, Constipation, Depression, Degenerative Joint Disease. The patient has Confusion, Blurred Vision, Constipation, Toothaches, Tooth Decay, Depression, Dizziness Exertional, Muscular Weakness, Itching, Eczema Exacerbated, Neck Pain, Headache, Tooth Loss, Recurrent Leg Pain And Cramping, Loss Of Sensation, Numbness And Tingling, Paresthesias, Sensory Loss, Tingling And Numbness, Fatigue - Chronic, Weight Gain, Food Hoarding, Food Craving, Abdominal Bloating, Ocular Migraine, Stomach Pain, Bedwetting
- A study of side effects of Meloxicam for a 61-year old woman with Arthritis. The patient has Constipation
- A study of side effects of Amoxicillin for a 53-year old woman with Abscess - Tooth. The patient has Smoker
Recent Amoxicillin related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.