Home > Amoxicillin > Constipation > Amoxicillin and Constipation
Review: could Amoxicillin cause Constipation?
Summary: Constipation is found among people who take Amoxicillin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Zometa, and have Metastases to bone.
We study 22,236 people who have side effects while taking Amoxicillin from FDA and social media. Among them, 506 have Constipation. Find out below who they are, when they have Constipation and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Amoxicillin and have Constipation >>>
Amoxicillin (latest outcomes from 24,146 users) has active ingredients of amoxicillin. It is often used in infection.
Constipation (latest reports from 80,049 patients) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, pain, high blood pressure, depression, high blood cholesterol.
On Nov, 12, 2014: 22,224 people reported to have side effects when taking Amoxicillin. Among them, 506 people (2.28%) have Constipation.
Time on Amoxicillin when people have Constipation * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Constipation when taking Amoxicillin * :
Age of people who have Constipation when taking Amoxicillin * :
Severity of Constipation when taking Amoxicillin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Constipation ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Metastases to bone (83 people, 16.40%)
- Pain (51 people, 10.08%)
- Depression (39 people, 7.71%)
- Multiple myeloma (38 people, 7.51%)
- Anxiety (20 people, 3.95%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Zometa (246 people, 48.62%)
- Aredia (176 people, 34.78%)
- Ambien (150 people, 29.64%)
- Oxycontin (133 people, 26.28%)
- Aspirin (113 people, 22.33%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
Comments for this study:
Wibbly1201 (2 months ago):
Yogurt did the trick for me as well!
Reply the comment
Les (2 years ago):
Male, 71 in otherwise good health. I work out regularly, both resistance and cardio. I have taken Amoxicillin a number of times in the past, mostly associated with dental problems. Normally, I'm very regular, but every time I take Amoxicillin (I'm on it at the time I'm writing this), I wind up with mild-to-moderate constipation. I have no other side effects that I'm aware of. Over the years I have found that yoghurt seems to help a lot. I prefer the unflavored low-fat type with fresh fruit that I add myself. About 12-16 ounces a day does the trick for me. I think that any type or brand with live cultures may work for anyone with a similar reaction to the antibiotic.
Reply the comment
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Constipation while taking Amoxicillin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Amoxicillin and have Constipation
- support group for people who take Amoxicillin
- support group for people who have Constipation
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Cymbalta r/t autonomic neuropathy
(Asked by a 62 year old man who has Stomach Pains, GERD, Fatique, Constipation, Dizzness, Early Satiety)
losartan 20 mg
tired all the time, dizziness, chronic constipation, stomach pains, pins and needles, diabetic type 2 hx alcoholism resolved, gerd, early satiety
- Can you take amoxicillin when you are taking peginterferon and ribavirin
(Asked by a 40 year old man who takes Amoxicillin, Ribavirin, Peginterferon)
I wouldlike toknow if i take amoxicillin wether it will affect my treatment for HCV?
- Is it possible that lyme disease can promote urine infections?
(Asked by a 63 year old woman who has Reoccurring Urine Infections, and takes Amoxicillin)
I have had over 18 urine infections in the last year. I have been diagnosed with Lyme Disease a year and a half ago. My concern is how Lyme affects the bladder and also could MRSA be a part of the problem? Thank you.
- Does/can inulin (chicory root extract) interact with lithium?
(Asked by a 59 year old woman who has Any Drug Interaction Between Lithium 600 Mg Daily With Chicory Root Extract (200 Mg) In Probiotic With Lactobacillus GG?, and takes Lactobacillus GG, Chicory Inulin, Lithium Carbonate, Synthroid, Prilosec, Levofloxacin, Amoxicillin)
I am taking all these antibiotics for 14 days to get rid of the H Pylori bacteria in my stomach. I want to replace the good bacteria lost and avoid diahhrea by taking a probiotic daily. However, I have noticed the use of inulin (chicory root extract) in the probiotic. I need to know if I can take th ...
- Gastro with constipation in a 4 year old only cause pain at night?
(Asked by a 4 year old boy who has Constipation, Gastroenteritis - Viral)
In childrens hospital now have given the tag virus for stomach pain at night that is relieved by morphine
More questions for: Amoxicillin, Constipation
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Drug interractions savella. amoxicillin
(Posted by a 49 year old woman who has Pain And Buzzing In Right Hand, Wrist, and takes Amoxicillin, Savella)
Sudden ache, pain and neuropathy in right hand and wrist within 8 hours of sterting Amoxicillin.
- Nexium improves my constipation
(Posted by a 53 year old woman who has Constipation, GERD, and takes Lyrica, Methadone Hydrochloride, Lipitor)
Started taking Nexium 1 week ago and I noticed improvement with my chronic constipation.
- I need advise, badly ckd!!
(Posted by a 49 year old woman who has Constipation, Peripheral Neuropathy, Orthostatic Hypotension, Chronic Kidney Disease, and takes Milk Thistle, Zolpidem, Melatonin, Xanax, Adderall 30, Zorvolex)
The orthostatic BP started in mid April, I was only dizzy upon wakening then it would subside. I have never been a big breakfast eater so I started doing that. We were in Disney later in April and I was extremely fatigued, to the point of not wanting to walk, Disney would be the first time I passe ...
- Lupus induced by amoxicillin
(Posted by a 49 year old woman who has Lupus Erythematosus, and takes Amoxicillin)
Was given Amoxicillin for Strep Throat and on day 10 I noticed a rash starting on my torso and began to feel ill, as if I had the flu. Went to emerg and got sent home with Benadryl. Woke up the next morning to the rash getting worse and an overall feeling of fatigue. Went to emerg again and this ...
- Amoxycillin and ear popping.
(Posted by a 31 year old woman who has Ear Popping, and takes Amoxicillin)
I'm 30. I have otitis externa, but have never suffered with ear popping as a symptom. I had a flare up 2 wks before being prescribed this drug. I took a spay abx treatment which caused severe pain in my ears, so stopped taking that 5 days into the 7 day course. 4-5 days into my amoxicillin treatment ...
More reviews for: Amoxicillin, Constipation
- A study of side effects of Amoxicillin Pediatric for a patient with Infection - Ear. The patient has Dehydration (dryness resulting from the removal of water), Heart Rate Increased, Breathing - Rapid And Deep, Malaise (a feeling of general discomfort or uneasiness), Lethargy (tiredness), Ear Infection (ear infection), Appetite - Decreased (decreased appetite occurs when you have a reduced desire to eat), Fever, Inability To Crawl, High Blood Glucose Level (high blood sugar)
Comments: My son is 17 months old and been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes but I just received a call from his physician that he is positive for Enterovirus. What is the connection between Enterovirus and high blood sugar levels?
- A study of side effects of Amoxicillin Pediatric for a patient with Infection - Ear. The patient has Night Terror (a partial waking from sleep with behaviours such as screaming, kicking, panic, sleep walking, thrashing, or mumbling)
Comments: My son has been on Amox for an ear infection for 4 days, and the last 2 days he has started screaming at about 2:00am. Doesn't seem to be awake.. thrashing and hitting and screaming. I assume this is a night terror.
- A study of side effects of Amoxicillin for a patient with Ear Infection. The patient has Chest Discomfort
Comments: I have been experiencing some chest discomfort on and off for about 3 days. I also have localized pain under my left breastbone. This didn't start until I started the Amoxicillin which I am on 875 mg twice a day. I do have acid reflux which I am on protonix 40 mg twice a day. I am not having any tro ...
- A study of side effects of Sertraline for a patient with Depression. The patient has Anxiety, Sleep Apnea (a type of sleep disorder characterized by pauses in breathing), Cerebral Palsy, Feeling Sick Immediately After Eating Anything, Unstable Foetal Lie (changes its position during the prenatal period), Frequent Bowel Movements, Constipation, Dry Throat, Excessive Saliva (drop saliva uncontrollably from the mouth), Motion Sickness (travel sickness), Burping (noisily release air from the stomach through the mouth), Lump In The Groin (an area of swelling or growth in groin), Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit)
Comments: I have all these symptoms / ailments and I don't know which are related and what's not. I am not sure if what I am experiencing is due to stomach, bowels or anxiety. The anxiety could be caused by the stomach issues as well. It's usually when I'm in a car, bus, plane or train. It's frustrating b ...
- A study of drug interactions between Nexium Iv, Carafate for a patient with Acid Reflux, Esophagitis. The patient has Constipation, Abdominal Bloating, Abdominal Pain
Comments: The symptoms listed above are from taking the carafate only. I have been on this for a week now taking it 3 times a day an hour before a meal at the same time daily. I feel bloated, constipated and am having a very hard stool then to diarrhea and it burns, I also feel as if gas is stuck in my abdome ...
More related studies for: Amoxicillin, Constipation
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.