Review: could Amoxicillin cause Constipation?
Summary: Constipation is found among people who take Amoxicillin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Zometa, and have Metastases to bone.
We study 22,244 people who have side effects while taking Amoxicillin from FDA and social media. Among them, 506 have Constipation. Find out below who they are, when they have Constipation and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Amoxicillin and have Constipation >>>
Amoxicillin has active ingredients of amoxicillin. It is often used in infection. (latest outcomes from Amoxicillin 24,153 users)
Constipation has been reported by people with osteoporosis, pain, high blood pressure, depression, high blood cholesterol.(latest reports from Constipation 80,049 patients)
On Dec, 12, 2014: 22,236 people reported to have side effects when taking Amoxicillin. Among them, 506 people (2.28%) have Constipation.
Time on Amoxicillin when people have Constipation * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Constipation when taking Amoxicillin * :
Age of people who have Constipation when taking Amoxicillin * :
Severity of Constipation when taking Amoxicillin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Constipation ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Metastases to bone (83 people, 16.40%)
- Pain (51 people, 10.08%)
- Depression (39 people, 7.71%)
- Multiple myeloma (38 people, 7.51%)
- Anxiety (20 people, 3.95%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Zometa (246 people, 48.62%)
- Aredia (176 people, 34.78%)
- Ambien (150 people, 29.64%)
- Oxycontin (133 people, 26.28%)
- Aspirin (113 people, 22.33%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
Comments for this study:
Wibbly1201 (3 months ago):
Yogurt did the trick for me as well!
Reply the comment
Les (2 years ago):
Male, 71 in otherwise good health. I work out regularly, both resistance and cardio. I have taken Amoxicillin a number of times in the past, mostly associated with dental problems. Normally, I'm very regular, but every time I take Amoxicillin (I'm on it at the time I'm writing this), I wind up with mild-to-moderate constipation. I have no other side effects that I'm aware of. Over the years I have found that yoghurt seems to help a lot. I prefer the unflavored low-fat type with fresh fruit that I add myself. About 12-16 ounces a day does the trick for me. I think that any type or brand with live cultures may work for anyone with a similar reaction to the antibiotic.
Reply the comment
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Constipation while taking Amoxicillin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Amoxicillin and have Constipation
- support group for people who take Amoxicillin
- support group for people who have Constipation
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
More questions for: Amoxicillin, Constipation
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Drug interractions savella. amoxicillin
Sudden ache, pain and neuropathy in right hand and wrist within 8 hours of sterting Amoxicillin.
- Nexium improves my constipation
Started taking Nexium 1 week ago and I noticed improvement with my chronic constipation.
- I need advise, badly ckd!! (1 response)
The orthostatic BP started in mid April, I was only dizzy upon wakening then it would subside. I have never been a big breakfast eater so I started doing that. We were in Disney later in April and I was extremely fatigued, to the point of not wanting to walk, Disney would be the first time I passed out when getting dizzy. I of course said I had gotten too warm and was exhausted from work the previous week. The dizziness continued in the mornings & I passed out several more times. On May 1st, I passed out while putting my make-up on and hit my eye on the faucet and head on the tile floor, despite that I went to work thinking it would subside, it didn't. I went to the ER directly after work. They ran a B-met on me and my GFR was 11 and creatinine 3.95. They admitted me to a larger hospital for evaluation. While in there, they pumped me with fluids continuously, saying I had severe dehydration. My kidney function improved, my creatinine levels went back down to 1.34. After 5 days I was discharged and told to see a cardiologist and endo. The endo doc cancelled my appointment on the basis it was not his area. I had had a cortisol and ACTH testing which I guess was normal. I saw the cardiologist, who said it wasn't cardio. I had had an echocardiogram in the hospital and EKG monitoring. Cardio sent me to neurology, the PNRN did a basic neurological exam and drew blood for disease markers such as Lupus, sjorgens, hepatitis, ect. All disease markers came back negative, but my GFR was at 11 again and creatinine was 4.25, BUN 50 along with an elevated ACE level. They called me and said I sarcoidosis. I really don't have any of the primary S/S of this autoimmune disease. I don't know where to go from here, they are referring me to another neurologist at a bigger hospital. I can't live my normal life, can't walk on my feet due extreme pain and I pass out at least 2x a week, which is not good for my old body. My BP upon laying and sitting runs like 117/72, upon standing it drops to like 70/50-50/30. I am on 0.1 mg of florinef, I tried increasing it but then my legs swelled up for a gain of 23#. I talked to Mayo Clinic today and all there specialists are booked out thru December. I have to be able to work, I can't stay home any longer than September 8th! Please advise me!
- Lupus induced by amoxicillin (1 response)
Was given Amoxicillin for Strep Throat and on day 10 I noticed a rash starting on my torso and began to feel ill, as if I had the flu. Went to emerg and got sent home with Benadryl. Woke up the next morning to the rash getting worse and an overall feeling of fatigue. Went to emerg again and this time had blood taken and the results showed an extreme rise in my white blood cells and by then, I had a fever. I was airlifted to another hospital where they did tests, but really had no idea what was wrong. I discharged myself with a script for corticosteroids and by then my joints began to stiffen, to a point of barely being able to walk and the pain was excruciating! I had to be cared for by my husband and struggled to lift my tea cup, or get out of bed. This lasted for about a month and then gradually began to subside. The doctors never did have answers for any of it. They chalked it up to an allergy to Amoxicillin. One mentioned "Steven Johnson Syndrome".
- Amoxycillin and ear popping.
I'm 30. I have otitis externa, but have never suffered with ear popping as a symptom. I had a flare up 2 wks before being prescribed this drug. I took a spay abx treatment which caused severe pain in my ears, so stopped taking that 5 days into the 7 day course. 4-5 days into my amoxicillin treatment for a uti, and my ears are popping. I have no known other medical problems, and am on no other meds.
More reviews for: Amoxicillin, Constipation
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- My son is 17 months old and been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes but I just received a call from his physician that he is positive for Enterovirus. What is the connection between Enterovirus and high blood sugar levels?
- My son has been on Amox for an ear infection for 4 days, and the last 2 days he has started screaming at about 2:00am. Doesn't seem to be awake.. thrashing and hitting and screaming. I assume this is a night terror.
- I have been experiencing some chest discomfort on and off for about 3 days. I also have localized pain under my left breastbone. This didn't start until I started the Amoxicillin which I am on 875 mg twice a day. I do have acid reflux which I am on protonix 40 mg twice a day. I am not having any tro ...
- I have all these symptoms / ailments and I don't know which are related and what's not. I am not sure if what I am experiencing is due to stomach, bowels or anxiety. The anxiety could be caused by the stomach issues as well. It's usually when I'm in a car, bus, plane or train. It's frustrating b ...
- The symptoms listed above are from taking the carafate only. I have been on this for a week now taking it 3 times a day an hour before a meal at the same time daily. I feel bloated, constipated and am having a very hard stool then to diarrhea and it burns, I also feel as if gas is stuck in my abdome ...
More related studies for: Amoxicillin, Constipation
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.